Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

couple raptor carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple raptor carb questions

Does my 04 raptor have Mikuni CV style carbs, with the small round main jets?

What type of pilot jets do I need for factory carbs? I know them as #25 pilot jets. Is there anything more to it than that. I mean is there a model carb that they have to be for or will any mikuni oem pilot work?

Old 03-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I am not positive but i think when mikuni makes a carb for a fourwheeler they are designed for that atvs specific needs. Like the raptor had twin carbs, but yet the yfz has a songle larger one. Also the bore of the carb has alot to do with how your atv will perform. Enough of me rambling on with something i really have know idea about. But on a 660 the main jets are smaller than that on a regular single mikuni carb. The reason is because when you have a single carb like on the yfz you are running like a 145 or a 150 main jet i am really not sure. But if you were to put a single carb on the 660 raptor it would have like a 180-185 main jet. But with the twin carbs the can get away with having like a 135-140. At least that is what i think mine had. Don't remember. But if you try to put a larger jet from say a yfz it will not fit into the brass collar that holds it. YOu use smallers one that will fit. But with pilot jets i am not sure. Its really late for me and i think i know what i am talking about. Sorry. But if you find a jet on something off a like say a warrior, or a smaller yamaha dirt bike they should fit. But they might be in the size you need. Why dont you just go to your dealer, and get them there? Just wondering, what are you doing with your carbs apart? Did ya add a pipe or something? Well peace.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know what model pilot jet but the stock pilots are #22.5
.........and they use the Mikuni "small round" main jets.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: 660Rryder
I am not positive but i think when mikuni makes a carb for a fourwheeler they are designed for that atvs specific needs. Like the raptor had twin carbs, but yet the yfz has a songle larger one. Also the bore of the carb has alot to do with how your atv will perform. Enough of me rambling on with something i really have know idea about. But on a 660 the main jets are smaller than that on a regular single mikuni carb. The reason is because when you have a single carb like on the yfz you are running like a 145 or a 150 main jet i am really not sure. But if you were to put a single carb on the 660 raptor it would have like a 180-185 main jet. But with the twin carbs the can get away with having like a 135-140. At least that is what i think mine had. Don't remember. But if you try to put a larger jet from say a yfz it will not fit into the brass collar that holds it. YOu use smallers one that will fit. But with pilot jets i am not sure. Its really late for me and i think i know what i am talking about. Sorry. But if you find a jet on something off a like say a warrior, or a smaller yamaha dirt bike they should fit. But they might be in the size you need. Why dont you just go to your dealer, and get them there? Just wondering, what are you doing with your carbs apart? Did ya add a pipe or something? Well peace.
Well I have the carbs taken off to rejet for a 11.1 compression piston and stage one hot cam. Also already have header, can, and airbox mods, filter. Gytr mains only go up to 165 I was told. But I can get the 25 pilots from the gytr kit. I need mains sizes 170 to 175 and 25 pilots. Since I have to order from dennis kirk anyway, I figured could just order the jets I need and be done with it. Ya know. But DK has jets for different model mikuni carbs. Thats why I was asking.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

The GYTR kit comes with Mikuni small rounds. They only go up to #165 in the kit but you can buy bigger Mikuni small round main jets anywhere. A lot of different bikes use Mikuni carbs with these same jets.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

One more question. There are 2 small jets on the motor side, bottom of the carbs. They are short with a pointed tip, and a baby rubber O ring on the ends. They are on the exterior of the carb not in the fuel bowl. Any ideas and what is the factory setting on these? thanks

Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, those are your air/fuel mixture screws. They work in conjuction with your pilot jets. Mine were set at 2 1/2 turns left side and 2 1/4 turns right from the factory and they were set too lean. With stock pilot jets (22.5), I would set your screws at 3 turns out on both. When adjusting them, make sure you don't tighten them too tight cause you will damage the point on the end. Just loosely turn them in till they stop then make your settings.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks man. I appreciate the help.