Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What's up with my blaster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2000, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the blaster back togother today.It starts on the first kick everytime.After getting it back togother I changed the oil and filled the tank with some mixed gas just in case the oil injector didn't work.As soon as I started it the light came on!I quickly shut it off and my dad came over and told me to start it and as long as it was smoking I was ok.I rode it around a little real slowly.(it doesn't have brakes)I watched the oil light the whole time.IT flickered off and on but mainly on.I pulled it in the garage and took off the rear plastic to get to the oil light sending unit.And my dad said it was fine?I pulled the injector cover off and then I pull off the hose that goes from the oil tank to the injector.It only trickled out.But the tank is full.Could the injector hose be clogged? What else could it be.I some times here people on this furom talking about a gear where is it?

It was fun when I rode it though

Old 11-19-2000, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

I took A air nozzle and blew out all the lines.Niether seemed clogged.Common guy help me!

Old 11-19-2000, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

The oil light comes on momentary each time you start the quad. It's a self-test to show that the bulb is not burned out.
Secondly, the oil light usually comes on if the bottle is slightly below half-full. Having the light on is not an indication of whether or not your engine is recieving oil.

Old 11-19-2000, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

THe tank is full and the light stayed on all the time.It did flicker off and on sometimes but mainly it was on.We are going to get some good 2 stroke oil my dad likes to run the yamalube injector oil in all of the blaster's we have had.We just have to wait for the bike shop to open on tuesday.hopefully I will have the bike fixed by next weekend.I am used to riding with no brakes.I rode my yfm225 for 4 years without any brakes!!never crashed due to brakes on it either.

Old 11-20-2000, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000 blaster and mine did the same thing. I had to get a new oli sending unit. It was like $16. They just pop in and out.

Old 11-20-2000, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

You should be able to tell if its working... is the smoke blue??? My oil light does not work, no problems though... just look for the blue smoke and keep your oil level up. You should be able to tell if its not getting oil.

Old 11-20-2000, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

it smokes bacause we put pre mix in it. it smokes quite alot for 40:1 though. The reason i think something could be wrong with the in jector is because.When I bought it it was blown up and when i pulled the piston out it had really deep scratches.

Old 11-20-2000, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

The scratches could be from anything... case with the banshee a circlip fell out and went through the engine, that made some deep scratches
http://www.geocities.com/yamahabanshee96/left.jpg
I would recommend doing either one but not both, either pre-mix or use the injection, too much oil can do the same thing as too little oil, 2-strokes use the gas to cool the motor, if your gas is too "thick" then it looses the cooling ability. Id say, drain the tank, put un-mixed gas in it and see what happens, run it for 5-10 minutes, it shouldnt hurt anything even if it is not getting oil, then you should be able to tell. I had a polaris that the oil inj. went and that ran for 200+ miles with NO oil before it cooked the rings.

Old 11-20-2000, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

First off my plug looks fine on my blaster and it doesnt smoke to much except when i first start it until its warm but after that there aint to much smoke, i still have the injector and im using yamahagoop. The light on the handle bars for the Oil injector there is a common problem with those. It just depends. There is so many Wires and cables up underneath the front Nose piece that they all rub and rub and the brakets,just think about that back and forth back and forth over and over again hehe. They are bound to start to wear some time. Mines a 99 and after i would say 8 months of riding my wires broke. But see they werent broke all the way threw so when i would hit bumps or turn or whatever my light would flash and stay on sometimes even though i had a full oil tank. So i would check the headlight wires all around there. cause thats problely where its broke at. I still have my injector and dont even have a light on mine heh. So who cares when it burns up thats just tellin me to put a block off and bigbore hehe.