Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

At what age do you get them riding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what age do you get them riding?

I would at least wait until they are big enough to ride one of those at walmart, then slowly move up to the 50 once they know what they are doing. Congratulations on the son

Old 07-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider

i started on a pw 50 at 5. i got my first quad at 8 when we sold the 50 and bought a 90. i wish i would have keep that 50. because now i am buying another pit bike lmao

Old 07-08-2006, 10:41 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I started both of my boys on dirt bikes after they could ride a bicycle without training wheels. The oldest son was 3 1/2, and the youngest was 4.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

power wheels atvs never fails...... it gets them used to riding somethin..... and as long as ur watchin them thell never have a proble.... like i dont think it could ever get away from them. my neighbor has one for there kid and shes like 2... shes not to bad on it.....

Old 07-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

first congrats on the baby. i agree with alot of the points already mentioned...but will mention them again and somemore. starting them out on a electric model (fisher price or ?) is a good idea. around the age of 2-3. this will get them started and begin to show them how a 4 wheeler rides, but it will only be the begining. then when too switch over is a mattter of looking at your child open minded and objectivley. are they mature enough to handle and understand the basic functions of the machine. when they sit on the quad can they reach the handle bars safely, with a bend in their arms at the elbow? not all stretched out. can they safely reach and squeeze the brake handles? can they safely touch the floor boards of the quad, with a 90 degree bend in the legs? when they stand up on the floor boards is there a couple of inches gap between their bottom end and the seat? and again are they mature enough to understand and handle the machine. as for whose to buy...i think they are all comprable enough that it just becomes a personal choice. style, prefrence, price....etc. i would also recommend an automatic so they dont need to worry about shifting yet as well as a model with full floorboards for feet protection for the beginer and then as they grow you can change. my son got his 90 at 6. mature enough and size wise he was okay. my daughter got her 50 at 5 but will probably be on the 50 until she is 9, maybe 10 because she is content on just cruising around in a big circle. also look for one that comes with a tether kill switch, preferably standard. there will be day they will need it. the polaris predator 50 comes with 2. one for the rider to wear and one that attaches in the rear for the parents to use as they walk behind ( or run) and to use if the child gets into trouble. another good option is a saftey course. just be cautious with the age vs. size of the quad issue. there are minumum requirements dictated by the c.s.p.c. though i dont agree with them and their thinking 100%, they still have a influence of what goes on. saftey is what counts and aslong as you are safe and teach them to be safe and ride smart it will all be good. lastly...always have them wear a helmet and eye protection.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:23 AM
Trailblazer

Right on! Thanks all for your help. All the advice was great and will be very helpful.