to all warrior owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default to all warrior owners

Originally posted by: ESeriesFaithful
Thanks boomer2. I was just planning to switch to amsoil and hope that draining the castrol will clear out all evidence of the non wet clutch oil. After that ill know its not the oil and then possibly have to go into the clutch. The front sprocket was worn out after only four years so whoever owned it before my buddy and i mustve abused it bad.
Save yourself a little time and money, just replace the clutch plates now. If they are slipping that bad then they are toast. Chances are when you pull them you will be have a slight burnt smell(I know from experience, lol.) Check the clutch basket when it is apart. If you have significant grooving and wear, that can cause the clutch to pull hard, and the basket should also be replaced. I think that putting on a new cable whenever you rebuild the clutch is prudent, but if your pull is still hard, then you may want to look into an aftermarket "easy pull" lever. Also, if you have ran it any length of time with that worn front sprocket, replace the chain and rear sprocket also. Four years is a good amount of time for a chain/sprocket system in an off road environment on a machine that sees much use. I wouldn't consider that signs of abuse. My Yamaha is going to be ready for a new drive system next spring and it is only 2 years old. I have been pretty **** about keeping it lubed and adjusted, but the elements can really wear these parts out fast.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My warrior's clutch was hard to pull in when I got it. I replaced the cable with a Motion Pro Terminator cable, and replaced the stock perch with a $30 aftermarket one. The clutch pulls very easy and smooth now, probably about the same as the stock pull on the newer quads like 400exs and z400s, and I have heavy clutch springs in mine. A good cable, perch, and lever will go a long way in making the clutch pull easier. They also make ez-pull clutch levers for the warrior that reduce the pull by 30% or something like that.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

Under any other circumstances I might just change the clutch plates to be safe, but under these circumstances where it was slipping because of too much lubrication, the plates could still be in super shape. I had this with my street bike, when I bought it. The p.o. had put the wrong oil in it, and it slipped like a big dog. I even got it for quite a bit less, because he thought the clutch was toast. I dumped out the oil and ran it with fresh dinosaur oil, and it was better immediately. As the old oil flushed the rest of the way out, it just got better. I changed it again a few weeks later, now I can't make it slip. Oil's cheap.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scooter86, the only reason i say four years was short to wear out the sprockets and chain was my dad bought an 86 Lt230S new and rode it pretty hard from day one. 20 years of riding and the quadsports countershaft sprocket was in better shape than the warriors Only a few months ago did we change sprockets and chains on both of the quads and we regeared the Quadsport to make it run with the warrior, which it does. But thanks for the input we may have to just do the clutchwork like you were saying. Did i mention it only happens under hard acceleration, im talking drag race acceleration. Under gradual acceleration, every gear until just before it wont pull anymore, it does just fine. does that sound like what youre talking about? thanks again

Old 09-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly don't know how you got 20 years out of a stock quadsport sprocket. I had an '86 bought brand new, and that set was ready to be replaced after about 4 years. That quad was ridden daily pretty much year round though. Poor maintenance could be to blame for your sprocket. It doesn't take long to trash one if the chain is loose or kinked. Yes, what you are describing is definately the clutch slipping. You might be able to switch out the oil and get some more use out of it. Then again, you can get a Tusk kit and clutch cover gasket for just over $50.00 from Rocky Mountain. If you have the cash, I would just throw in a new clutch for the peice of mind. Beats breaking down on the trail. I pretty much totally burned out a clutch once in the mountains of PA on my Quadracer. It was slipping just a bit at the top end in the higher gears when I started. Unfortunately I got caught behind some slow movers a few times and that was all she wrote for that clutch, up in smoke, lol. Oh well, good luck with yours

Old 09-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

EseriesFaithful one thing you may want to think about is if you go to Amsoil it's like $8 dollars a quart, a warrior takes like 2 quarts. So you will have $16.00 dollars in oil. After you change the oil and you find out it's actually the clutch, then you will have another $16 dollars in oil plus cost of parts. With it slipping under a hard load it's hard to say if its the clutch or oil.

Anyways wheres Wentzville. I like to ride at Chadwick.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for everything. Ill be pricing one up in a few days. Wentzville is about 35 to 40 minutes west of St. Louis.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Originally posted by: Boomer2
EseriesFaithful one thing you may want to think about is if you go to Amsoil it's like $8 dollars a quart, a warrior takes like 2 quarts. So you will have $16.00 dollars in oil. After you change the oil and you find out it's actually the clutch, then you will have another $16 dollars in oil plus cost of parts. With it slipping under a hard load it's hard to say if its the clutch or oil.

Anyways wheres Wentzville. I like to ride at Chadwick.
Amsoil is only $6.45 a quart...

and.. a warrior takes 2.8 with filter change

Old 09-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Put a hydraulic clutch on your warrior, that helps a great deal. But you have to spend around $300. It sure makes a big difference. Lubing the clutch cable will help a lot.