Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How high can U jump a wolverine with out hurting it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the local yamaha shop today scoping out the qauds.I really liked the wolverine but didn't know about getting one because I would probably break it from jumping all the time.I normal jump anywhere from 4-6 foot high.Would a wolverine break if I jumped that high.I know I could get some aftermarket shocks but what about the front diff?I want something sporty and 4wd.I think the owlverine is the perfect choice.

moded out 86 trx250r
97 300ex
90 blaster

Old 12-15-2000, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Any 4x4 when jumping will break something sooner or later I do believe that the wolverine is a good 4x4 choice and will hold up better than most other 4x4 for jumping but it will break things sooner or later due to the weight, but so do sport quads another good quad you can jump that is a 4x4 is the Polaris Scrambler 400 or 500 I had a 500 and I use to launch that thing and it held up good it has better suspension than the wolverine check them both out for 4x4 I would go with one of those two probably the scrambler it is alot faster and is 2 or 4 wheel drive with the flip of a button and I think it would hold up better for jumping and etc due to the better suspension and the option of not having to run it in 4x4 all the time.

Old 12-15-2000, 11:11 AM
Range Rover

The wolverine is a great jumper. My cousin and I both had one and we regularly jumped them 4-6 feet in the air. Everything from slow hops to flattops on the mx track in 4th gear wide open. I agree though, if you jump enough...you are going to break something. That's goes for any quad. Like they say, if you don't tear something up, you're not having any fun.

Old 12-15-2000, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

careful now, wolverine rear axles are very prone to bend, if you don,t think so, just do a search under wolverine and see for yourself.

Old 12-15-2000, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Not as high as I can jump my scrambler.

LONG LIVE POLARIS!!!

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-15-2000, 12:55 PM
Range Rover

What are you guys doing to bend the axles? I had a 2000 for a year and my cousin has a '97. Both of these quads were ridden very hard and jumped all the time. Niether of us had any trouble with bent axles. Just wondering???

Old 12-15-2000, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

The only keeping from not wanting a scrambler is the auto tranny.I rode jviper's tblazer and I really don't like the whole free wheeling thing.Or the clutch engaging so high you can't loft the front end up over ruts and logs.If I did get a wolverine I would probably get a manual clutch from fst,a durablue axle,works shocks,and a pipe,filter.I wouldn't mind have a 400 2 stroke 4wd though.Is the anyway to put ebs on a scrambler?

Old 12-15-2000, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

You can buy the ebs kit for the scrambler 400 for about $400. The trailblazer is underpowered compared to the scrambler 400 that puts out 36 horsepower.
I ride on a lot technical trails with falling trees and rocks and I've never had a problem with lofting the frontend over a tree or rock.
I feel more comfortable knowing I'm always in the right gear, when it comes to mud I'm glad I have the auto tranny cuz sometimes going slow through deep mud doesn't cut it.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 12-15-2000, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Jeepin, the scrambler has more power and will lift the front end up fairly easy dont compair anything to that trail blazer those things are very slow and under powered no comparison to the scrambler 400, once you get use to the auto tranny you'll like it dont get me wrong the wolverine is a good quad its just the scrambler comes with better suspention and optional 4x4 by way of a switch and when there in 4x4 they go anywhere you can climb real steep hills no problem and logs/trees can go right over them. To be honest sometimes I like my old scrambler 500 better than my raptor when doing serious slow and steep hill climbing and the scrambler will go through anything mud and deep snow and the ride is nice and you have the option of sliding around in 2wd if you want. I would check them both out the wolverine will be very good if you do all those mods to it go to different dealers and ask for a demo ride but even at that you cant tell truthfully untill you start pounding the snout out of them which one you like better.

Old 12-15-2000, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scramdaddy400 I will out jump you on my 95 Wolverine all day long. I don't care if you have more power or not. My friend has a 99 Scrambler 500. The first day he had he took it off a little jump and the carbureter fell right out the intake boot. He put in back in and tightened it down good, but it still does it every once in while. Then about two months later he took it off another jump that only launched him about two feet high and when he landed the A-arm tore right of the frame. Needless to say, neither of us has been real impressed. She's got lots of power and is a nice fourwheeler until something new breaks (there has been more). I have rode my Wolverine hard for 5 years now and have never bent an axle. 4 or 5 feet is no problem. I have jumped mine a lot higher on a motocross track with no trouble at all. Get the good shocks though, I am still running stock and they do bottom. The only time I have seen an axle bend is when my friend rolled his.

Quick Reply: How high can U jump a wolverine with out hurting it?