Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 700 has cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007 | 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Grizzly 700 has cold start issues

I always run premium unleaded fuel in all of our off road toys. It makes no difference when it comes to starting a Grizzly 700 in cold weather. The keys to starting a Grizzly 700 in cold weather are:

1) Keep it inside your garage, not outside in the cold.
2) Use a battery tender to keep battery fully charged at all times. The Grizzly needs to spin the motor fast to be able to start in the cold.
3) Change to 5w30 motor oil, which does two things. It lets the motor crank faster; and it lets the thinner oil get to the oil pressure sensor quickly. Thicker oil does not get to the oil pressure sensor fast enough, and the Grizzly senses no oil pressure, and will not start.

Yamaha has too many sensors, rev limiters, and other idiot proof devices on their ATVs, and they frequently sabatoge themselves because of this.

3TV

Old 03-27-2007 | 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

I have a problem a little different. Mine starts right up but if im in 4x4 under a strain and let off the gas it will die. Also if im setting on a incline idling it will die. Also the gas cap isnt venting. I rode it for about an hour the otherday and kept hearing something that sounded funny. I took the gas cap off and it was under A LOT of pressure and the gas was boiling. I talked to the dealer and they are gonna get me a new gas cap, so i hope that fixes it.

Old 03-28-2007 | 11:45 AM
|
Trailblazer

Desert Viper I believe you have nailed it on the head. All three items especially item 3 appear to right on.

xcbandit Hope gas cap fixes issue, thou would this keep gas from boiling? I thought the 07 models had the tank moved to under the seat to help with this. What grade of fuel are you using?
I had a 76 Blazer which I had rebuilt the 350 and used a Edelbrook Alumium intake with the stock Rochester 4 barrel. I started having issues with fuel boiling inside the carburator. I installed a heat shield under carburator but this still didn't keep it from having issues with fuel boiling when driveing where truck would stall out or act like it was starving for fuel. Long story but in the end I had to run mid grade and NOT premium, even thou I was running 10.5 / 1 compression, premium would boil at a lower temp. Also I had to buy my fuel at Conoco, Texico, Shell. Don't buy 7-11 crap fuel or other bargin brand gas it seemed to cause the same thing. I'd try another brand or octane level. Additives like ethahaul etc could cause issue also. Again I'm using Premium here in Colo which is only 89 octane, where midgrade is 87 octane, unlead is 85 octane. You may just have to try differant brands. What was temps you were riding in? Also idle speed is pretty darn high when set correctly, dealer should be able to set and check this. I think it's like 1650RPM~

Old 03-28-2007 | 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

I purchased my 700 Griz with the expectation that I may have first model year issues. I took the risk because IMO the features and performance were worth the possibility or I should say probability of issues were a risk I was willing to take. I doubt if I would buy a first year model of anything other than a Honda or a Yamaha. For owners to now bad mouth Yamaha is just out of line when everyone knew the risk. My issue was intermittant missing caused by shift rod linkage plus defective reverse switch connector. I was one of first owners who had this problem and after 4 trips to dealer problem was not diagnosed. Finally on Highlifter forum the solution was reported and I adjusted shift rod after dealer had repaired reverse sensor connector. Problem solved. So IMO lets not be so damn critical of Yamaha when we knowingly took an unwise risk. If we needed 100% reliability we should have been smart enough to just keep the check book closed. Sounds like Viper is on the right track and it would sure be easy to check with the lighter oil and fully charged battery. Go Yamaha.

Old 03-28-2007 | 03:44 PM
|
Trailblazer

oldturtle
In fact my Grizzly was cured by changing to the 5-30 CW oil from Yamaha.

Old 03-28-2007 | 05:18 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]Ok guys, just got to say, don't forget to get the 5w30cw oil out of your machine before the
warm weather gets hot. Go back to your warmer weather oil, as the 5w30 won't protect your
Griz in warmer weather, like the oil your Yamaha dealer put in at sale. Just a heads up.....

Old 03-28-2007 | 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

I just switched to 5w/40 full synthetic in my Grizzly, and it seems to be working well. I'm thinking it will be an adequate year round oil.

DV

Old 03-28-2007 | 11:17 PM
Range Rover

CB I am having problems with boiling gas in my Grizz...It is not so bad it will stall out though....yet.

I have head that you can bore out the tank vent slightly and this supposedly fixes the problem. I have not got around to it yet. Honestly it doesen't really bother me as long as it will keep running. Gas boils at a lower temp that water. I run 91 octane in in. I will give 87 a try and see what happens.

Also, I will give the 5W-30CW a chance next winter. The stealer already adjusted my pod so hopefully the oil will fix it. All in all it is a kick a$$ quad....

Old 03-28-2007 | 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

Last weekend It was 84'F. I was riding at speeds of 5 to 40 most of the time. Some woods and open road. Good air flow. Gas did boil. I do think there is a problem and a new gas cap will not fix the problem. Even with the tank moved it seems the Grizz still has a gas boil problem. I think the 89 or 92 gas helps. Gas has not boiled when I use the 89 to 92 Oct. But it is just starting to get hot out. Grizz still runs great. Lots of power. I love the ride. I use a 5W-50 Full Syn oil year round and have for years in all the off road motors. No problem. What I use does not have the additives in it so my wet clutch is ok. Let me know about the gas cap but on other motors like the older Grizz it did not fix the problem.

Old 03-29-2007 | 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

My garage is between 20-35 degress and my has no problem

Quick Reply: Grizzly 700 has cold start issues