Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bike is running too lean

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike is running too lean

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hondarules666

well he could try to run a smaller jet to let less air in. then if that doesnt work then he could turn his air fule mixture screw (but with the same jets [stock] or whatever he had in there to begin with) then change his fule mixture screw i dont know off hand what the way is to increase the fuel is but try to do that. and if your plugs were light brown not to dark and not to light that means that it was running perfect.</end quote></div>

WRONG. Smaller jet will only reduce the amount of fuel metered into the air, making it leaner still. Also, fuel mixture screw (called the Pilot screw on the Raptor) only affects, primarily, from idle to 1/4 throttle, as said way up in this thread. Turning the screw in leans the 1st 1/4 throttle throw, turning it out richens. Changes to the pilot screw and pilot jet have very little affect on any throttle opening beyond 1/4. Also he already said he did a plug test, and it implied too lean.

RE the other post, a clogged air filter will make it run RICH, not lean. If your carb boots are loose it may run lean by pulling additional air in between the head and the carbs.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike is running too lean

i am leaning towards putting a edlebrock carberator in.. have you ever seen it the 2 into 1?? it replaces the stock 2 carbs to 1 single carberator... it shold be a little bit easier to jett. im also having the cylinders boared... putting a trinity 727cc kit in the bike... when i do this ill have it professonially tuned.... thanks for your input fellows i do apericate it.....