Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Suggested engine oil, differential oil weights???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggested engine oil, differential oil weights???

We just bought two utility quads (both '01. . .one Grizzly 600 4x4 and one Kodiak 400 4x4). . .and I'd like to know what weight engine oil, differential oil you guys suggest. . .I'm planning on using AmSoil because I have heard nothing but good things about AmSoil when it comes to quads.

BTW. . .these will be the first quads that I have ever personally owned. . .I've owned/ridden sportbikes for the last 10 years and I've ridden quads over the years and I even worked in a dealership in the service department doing PDI (pre-delivery inspection. . .I assembled on the new bikes/quads. . .did the initial service & test ride upon customer purchase) but I've never done maintenance/upkeep on them. . .mechanically I don't really have any questions but in my perusing of ATV forums over the past week I've noticed that the ATV community uses oil weights that are WAY different than what I use in my cars/sportbikes.

Thanks for the help & suggestions!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

I use 5w-40 in my motor and 80w-90 in differentials and tranny. But I would check the specs on your bike(may be different).

Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

atomicjoe23 are they Ultramatic drives?

If they are, a Yamaha guru told me not to use synthetic in the engine because the engine and output bearing share the same crankcase oil. Apparently the synthetic is too slippery for the special one way bearing and can cause damage to it by allowing it to move backwards.

True or not I can't say for sure.

Definitely put synthetic in the diff's though.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Trailblazer

Headpressure. . .I kinda hope that's not true because they've had synthetic in them for the last 7 yrs. The previous owner switched to synthetc as soon as the break-in period was over and was very meticulous about maintenance.

The Grizzly has 1200 miles on it and the Kodiak has 800 miles on it. . .he cleaned them after every use, used fuel stabilizer every time they were stored. . .had the valves adjusted at the proper intervals. . .I think the Grizzly has even had an extra check done at the same time that the Kodiak got it's 600 mile service, he also cleaned the air filters after every use when he had them at the dunes and I can't remember how often on the trails but it was way more often than was necessary (which is fine with me) and the shocks have had shock covers on them since he purchased them new. . .we got a really good deal on them because his family just doesn't use them. . .they hadn't been taken out of storage in the last three years and both of them fired right up and ran like a charm. . .no oil leaks, no rust/corrosion, and only the usual minor scratches here and there on the edges of the fenders.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Atomicjoe where can i find bikes like these,you got a gonga. an 01 and that many miles.Jees those bikes aren't even broke in yet.Heck my 07 has over 2,000 miles on it.Don't think you'd have a problem for years.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atomicjoe23

Headpressure. . .I kinda hope that's not true because they've had synthetic in them for the last 7 yrs. The previous owner switched to synthetc as soon as the break-in period was over and was very meticulous about maintenance.
</end quote></div>

Maybe it was just BS the dealership was giving me to sell Yamalube rather than me getting my own oil.

But the mechanic there is very knowledgeable and has never given me a reason for doubt. Unless I misunderstood them.

Maybe someone here can confirm or dismiss this information. This may only apply to a newer Kodiak/Grizzly.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

Headpressure. . .I guess posting a thread up about whether or not the synthetic oil causes the one way bearing on the ultramatic transmission to leak or not is true. . .

Dufrane. . .like I said. . .it was a deal that we couldn't pass up. . .a guy that we work had them (and he happened to be very mindful of the maintenance) and just wasn't using them. . .I wanted a YFZ450 but this way I can ride the utility till I get the money for a YFZ and then get a YFZ probably next year.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

anyway you look at it joe you got a deal. let me know if you want to sell next year.or this year for that matter,but if I was you I'd just keep them in the stable.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dufrane

anyway you look at it joe you got a deal. let me know if you want to sell next year.or this year for that matter,but if I was you I'd just keep them in the stable.</end quote></div>

That's the plan as of now.

BTW, why do quads use such different oil weights than sportbikes or cars. I know what the multi-grade designators mean and when you want the farther spread due to wide changes in weather, but I have always read that it's best to keep the ratio as low as possible and still meat your weather requirements. . .i.e. 10W30--&gt;3:1 ratio is better than 5W40 which is an 8:1 ratio and 20W50 is better than both at a 2.5:1 ratio. . .

Could someone explain the apparent difference in philosophy with quads and maybe Off-Road vehicles in general?