Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee for the trails...yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee for the trails...yes or no?

As some of you may know, I'm on a quest to find myself a good sport quad. I've gotten tons of input on what I should get and really good advice along the way. One thing I've been told is to get something in the 400 class. I've thought about it, but I want something faster. My type of riding is up in the mountains on logging roads and open trails (not really tight trails because the people I ride with like to go fast!). I've always been told the Banshee is the opposite of what I want, but I looked up some videos on Youtube and saw some Banshees riding on mountain trails and doing just fine. They weren't going over boulders and fallen logs or anything, but just nice open trails. If I wanted to go serious off-roading, then I'd get my Rancher to do that. For the longest time, I've been looking for Raptors, Predators, DS's, TRX 450's, and just about every other sport quad out there but never the banshee. Now that I've come across some nice banshees for cheap, I'm starting to think that I might want one. Is it just a stereotype that they're meant for just the dunes and drags or is this fact? Is maintenance really a big issue with these quads? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

never had one but a 2 stroke doesnt really look like a good fit. low ground clearence almost no low end and you got to stay high in RPMs to go anywhere. like i said ive never owned one so dont bust my nads if im wrong but banshees are good straight lines and dunes. Also i dont believe the suspension is that great for trailing either, if your in the mountains i see rocks, ruts, roots and a host of other technical treats that would eat a banshee for lunch.

hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On open, fast trails the Banshee would be fine. It is true the suspension leaves a lot to be desired, but if you aren't getting any big air it may not need to be upgraded from stock. Any kind of technical riding will have you cursing and possibly changing your underwear though. I actually wouldn't mind having another Banshee as they are addictive, however a 450 would give you better handling and suspension. You would give up power to a built machine in a straight line but the twisties are much more fun on a 450 or even 400 class quad. It sounds like you could certainly use a Banshee, just remember you have to jet 2 carbs on it, and 2 strokes tend to be more sensitive to altitude changes than 4 strokes.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

If you want to do some serious trail riding stay away from the two stroke machines they just dont have a low end for lugging on the trails. I have never owned a Banshee but have had a Honda 250R ( SOLD I KNOW DUMB ) and can tell you first hand you will not be happy with a two storke for your riding needs! If you want a all porpsose trail / fun quad I am telling you you will not find a better quad than a Raptor 700R thoe the 400 class quads come in a close 2nd! If you look at my pics and are doing similar riding you will get what I am talking about!

Old 09-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

Like I said, I have the Rancher for the serious trail riding but just for haulin' *** and whippin' something around the corners, I wonder if the Banshee would do ok. I would love to get a 700r, but thats out of my budget range (being only $4,000). This is why I've started looking into the Banshee. There are a lot of nice modded ones for really cheap. Of course, there are a lot more sport quads for cheap too but I was wondering if I should include the Banshee into my selection of quads, which includes: raptor 660r, honda trx 450, predator 500, DS650, and now the Banshee.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

As I said you will want to stay away from the two strokes you will not be happy in any way with them other than speed!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Ten years ago, the Banshee would be a good choice. But with the newer technology 4 strokes offered today with better suspension and reliability, a Banshee is not a good choice anymore for trail riding. Yes they are fast and are fun on most trails, but they can be a handful to ride. Since you have another quad for other types of riding, you may be OK to get a Banshee for the fast rides. But if you buy one and don't like it, you'll be stuck with it because nobody else will want to buy it. I see Banshees sit on Craigslist forever without being sold, while the 450's and Raptors are disappearing. A 660 or a TRX450 would be a better choice.

I have been riding for about 19 years, and we have been through them all - Tri-Z's, Blasters, Warriors, Banshees, Raptors, and let me tell you, we have had to pull more 2 strokes out of the woods than 4 strokes. Ever since we all started riding 4 stroke 450's and Raptors, life has gotten a lot better.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

Go for a sukuzi quadsport or quad runner or something. They are great machines for fast trail riding and they haul some *** too. And from what i hear they are extremely reliable

Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

For what you want to do a 400 or a 450. A 400 would be less maintaince, but a 400 you could buy one and put some agtermarket goodies on it like a pipe, better tires, skids and what ever for$4,000. Hope this helps!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atv_fan

I would love to get a 700r, but thats out of my budget range (being only $4,000). </end quote></div>

umm look around bro there are used 700's going like crazy for about that price.......
research is key, buy on an impulse if you want but you wont be happy.

Quick Reply: Banshee for the trails...yes or no?