Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP! Fuel boiling in gas tank on Kodiak 2000

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Fuel boiling in gas tank on Kodiak 2000

If it isn't one thing, it's another. Just recently, I have had issues with the fuel getting extremely hot in the gas tank. It actually looks like it is boiling. When it gets this hot it does not want to run of course. Any ideas as to why this might be happening? The only thing done recently was a carb rebuild and new plug.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Fuel by itself should not boil in the tank. My first thoughts are you have gotten some contaminate gasoline. First thing I would try is to drain the tank completely and refill it with fresh gas and put some HEET in it or something else to remove water and contaminants.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Range Rover

Yes, my buddy thought that also, but I have burnt 3 tanks of fuel since it started and purchased from different places. And my girlfriend has been burning the same fuel in hers with no issues. So I have pretty much eliminated that possibilty. Even when I was having cooling issues, and was running hot I didn't have this. Now that I have the cooling fixed, this started. Just dosen't make since. You can see the gas just bubbling in the tank and the amount of vapors coming out the vent tube is insane. Anymore ideas, lay them on me. Thanks

Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.You should have a metal heat shield on the muffler, is it still there?.
2. Remove the tank and wrap the bottom and sides with heat resistant tape, available at auto parts stores or online.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Range Rover

Heat shield is there but I like the idea of the heat resistant tape. Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Boiling gas

I'm having the same problem lately. Did you ever find out what the cause/fix was? Mine runs fine but its kind of freaking me out sitting on 5 gallons of boiling gas.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beefy46172
Fuel by itself should not boil in the tank. My first thoughts are you have gotten some contaminate gasoline. First thing I would try is to drain the tank completely and refill it with fresh gas and put some HEET in it or something else to remove water and contaminants.
I agree with this. It's just very dangerous for fuel to boil.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Your Gas Will Boil

If have a 03 Grizzly and have check the temp in the tank at 135 degrees. That's a rolling boil. I remove the left side cover, if that doesn't cool it down in a while, then remove the right. Your right knee will get quite warm when the fan comes on. Yamaha had a recall on the Grizzly, to install a heat shield under the tank. Made no difference...

Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

If we ride my 600 grizzly hard in the heat it will do the same thing. just take the seat off and let it sit up awhile and have a drink. It's only done this a couple times when we were trail riding in 100o temps and had to dog it up some trails. I may try the tape thing on it also. There was just no enough air flow to help cool it down much, It would vapor lock and not run worth a dang.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Hoby
If have a 03 Grizzly and have check the temp in the tank at 135 degrees. That's a rolling boil. I remove the left side cover, if that doesn't cool it down in a while, then remove the right. Your right knee will get quite warm when the fan comes on. Yamaha had a recall on the Grizzly, to install a heat shield under the tank. Made no difference...
Hoby

My friends has the 03 grizzly and the gas boiled only once on a very hot day while towing a heavy trailer up a steep hill.

He got the recall kit as well but it included new style 04 shark gilled vented side panles, did you get those as well?

Quick Reply: HELP! Fuel boiling in gas tank on Kodiak 2000