2004 Kodiak 450 "a couple questions if you don't mind :)"

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2004 Kodiak 450 "a couple questions if you don't mind :)"

Hey guys and gals

I have a few questions I am hoping the experts can answer

I am coming up on 4000km"approx 2485 miles" on my 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450 and was wondering if I am due to have my valves adjusted?

Bike runs great I find. I bought the bike last year used so I am not sure if it was done or not. But I have had no complaints with it's performance what so ever. Just want my bike to be in tip top shape.

Last question

How do I adjust the brake lever for my rear brake? Because when I press down on the foot brake for the rear brake my brake lever for the rear brake will go slack with a bunch of play in it, which I am assuming is not right. But has been this way since I bought it, or is that normal?

Thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Would a manual from an 05 Kodiak 450 work for adjustments to things etc? I know the 05 has independent rear suspension, whereas mine does not. But the motor,tranny and lever adjustments are the same correct? Asking because a guy I know has a manual for an 05 I was just informed of.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess the only question I really want an answer to is my valve's. I got in touch with the guy I bought it from last year and he said it has never been done. I ve got 2460 miles on it "almost rolling 4000km" as I said. It runs fine, but I would like to know if I am due to have it done, or if it is running fine then just leave it alone? Please help Kodiak owners..

Thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Personally.. I'd take it to the stealership to adjust... I never had any luck doing it myself...

No I remove all the goodies except for the gas tank and bring it to the dealer.. that way I am only paying the actually labor to simple remove the gas tank (2 minutes at that point) and to adjust the valves. They are cool with all that. I get mine checked/adjusted once every 1,000 miles

Well worth the $60 in my opinion

Old 07-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for replying Steve.

So I guess I am due for one huh? My question is, if it is running fine should I?

I was told if I hear no loud ticking or anything from the top end then I don't need to worry about it?

I bought this bike used last year, never rode another 450 so I don't know. But it has tons of power and can go through just about anything I put her through. Keeps right up with my fathers 08 660 Grizzly

Tell me. What are the plus's of a valve adjustment? more power? cleaner burn? better gas mileage? I am looking at an 05 manual for a Kodiak 450 for the valve adjustment and it doesn't look all that hard. No I never have done it before but it looks to be pretty straight forward. Just wished I didn't have to take half the damn plastics off lol

Old 07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Yamaha_4_Life
Thanks for replying Steve.

So I guess I am due for one huh? My question is, if it is running fine should I?

I was told if I hear no loud ticking or anything from the top end then I don't need to worry about it?

I bought this bike used last year, never rode another 450 so I don't know. But it has tons of power and can go through just about anything I put her through. Keeps right up with my fathers 08 660 Grizzly

Tell me. What are the plus's of a valve adjustment? more power? cleaner burn? better gas mileage? I am looking at an 05 manual for a Kodiak 450 for the valve adjustment and it doesn't look all that hard. No I never have done it before but it looks to be pretty straight forward. Just wished I didn't have to take half the damn plastics off lol
The advantage of the adjustment is to check that you have the correct clearance. Too much or too little will cause problems... If it is running fine and you check them, then the clearance should be within the specifications.

As far as the plastics go... it is old hat for me now.. I can have the front fender / tank plastic off in less than 30 minutes!

The Kodiak 450/Grizzly 450 is a nice ride! I love mine!

Old 07-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Steve,

Your right. I totally love my bike. Yes I would have liked IRS but I am overall very happy with my bike, I can out run my fathers 660 in the bush because the Kodiak is smaller and more nimble in tight trails I find. But it can surely go everywhere the Grizzly can, that is for sure. And I still have the original tires on it! I need some new tires though, tread is getting on the low side

Hey question. MAYBE this has something to do with a valve adjustment.

Once in a while when I am doing say... 60kmh "30mph I believe" and come down to a stop quick, once in a while it will let out a big backfire, sounds like my damn 12 gauge lol. I am told that is just unburnt fuel on a certain stroke of the engine and it does that because it is coming down in RPM's to fast?

Forgive me. I don't know much about ATV mechanics accept the basics

Old 07-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is the 2004 and 2005 Kodiak 450 identical accept for the rear suspension and front face?

They have the exact same motor and diff's don't they?

Old 07-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Pro Rider

10 minutes ago I just finished adjusting the valves on my 05 Kodiak. All in all it really is not that hard. Be careful when you unplug the wires under the front plastic. My factory manual says that it is supposed to be done after 320km, 2400km, then every 2400km there after. So you are coming up on your third valve check. For the first one on mine I took it into the dealer to make sure it was done right. They charged $250 as I recall. When I went to pick it up they told me they made a mistake and the valve check was not included at that price. I had a fit. There was no way I was going to pay $250 for an oil change and checking fluids etc. They took the quad back in and said they would do it. Ever since I have always wondered if they really did it or not. Both valves were a little tight. It is pretty hard to know if it is out of spec if it is close. It was popping on decel more than I liked also. We will see if it is different after the adjustment.

As far as the rear brake, when you press on the foot brake you are applying the rear brake. This causes the rear brake hand lever to go slack because that cable is being pulled by your foot.

Quick Reply: 2004 Kodiak 450 "a couple questions if you don't mind :)"