Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior 2000 fires up but won't accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior 2000 fires up but won't accelerate

i have a warrior that starts up, but then makes a lot of loud noises and won't accelerate. Not sure if it's the carburetor or what. It occasionally makes a loud explosive sound. Any ideas what may be wrong? What should i look at?
thanks a bunch,
pedro

Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Trailblazer

Is it somthing that started all at once or over time. It sounds like the park brake switch is on.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1998 warrior and have the same problem, it started all at once.
It will idle fine but when you give it gas it bogs down and back fires.
Any help would be great............

Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default warrior won't accelerate

hi,
Thanks for the input.
The thing is it started up all at once. I just bought it and it was running ok, i was able to ride it around, but I knew it had some problems- weird clicking. First thing was I had to totally replace the rear axel's bearing housing. Then i got that done and had a blast riding for two whole days. I was then tuning it up, the chain was loose and the air filer needed to be replace, both of which i did, then gassed it up and Pow it happened; I turned it on and there is no more accelleration and a lot of horrible sounds coming from engine. i'll check on the brake, but what else could it be. The carbureator?
Thanks again,
pedro

Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Dont over tighten the chain and be sure there is about 1" slack. Check the timing chain and see if it is loose. Make sure you used the recommended motor oil and filter when changing. If you havnt done so check the oil drain plug for metal pieces and other debris. If there is debris in the drain plug you may have to take the engine apart and rebuild it. Also sounds like the clutch is jammed so maybe check that too.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer

I just gave my carb a good cleaning and it stopped backfiring. There was so much crap in it, it was rediculous. Have you had any water in your filter box that could've gotten into your carb?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by bassballs818
I just gave my carb a good cleaning and it stopped backfiring. There was so much crap in it, it was rediculous. Have you had any water in your filter box that could've gotten into your carb?
Glad you got it fixed. It is hard to diagnose a problem without listening and having hands on it. I have never had water in the filter box, but I did have some junk in the carburetor before. You need to figure out how the water is getting there and make sure it doesn't get in the carb. Carbs can get ruined that way or perhaps damage the engine, but good thing you got it running.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

OH i relized there was no gasket on the box itself im all good now. I was just wondering cause when i bought mine i swamped it and never knew there water in the box. After about two weeks i wanted to go for a ride and seen how crappy my filter had gotten when it sat in mucky water for that long. Bad Move, now i always check it after a long day

Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default rims and winch

i like to put a winch on my 02 big bear with a nice bumper.also want to do rims and tires to give it the mean look anything you guys recommend and u have any pics

Old 07-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

clean carb thouroughly. check valve lashes and timing chain for excessive slack. warriors make alot of vavle chatter due to the 2 big valves and large tappets, specially when you use an aftermarket cam they get louder, so its kinda hard sometimes to tell whether or not its tooo loud and something is outta whack, because a perfect running warrior still makes alot of engine noise.