Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 400 Front Diff question ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you wanted to get creative you could run a seprate brake line and control to each front wheel ..that way one tire spins grab that brake should then spin other tire. of corse then you got to remember to squease both handles the same amount when stoping

Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wheilly,that's a uniqe idea...

Reminds me of the old "New England parking brake" trick.If you're RWD vehicle started to spin,apply the emergency brake to slow the spinning tire,then power thru the brakes with the throttle.I'm sure it'd work with someone that had better reflexes than me & would remember to apply both Ft. brakes appropriately when needed.I'm not that adroit,unfortunately.But I love the idea.Maybe someone smarter than I will invent a proportioning valve to handle that chore . Thanks, keith

Old 05-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

my atv cv shaft boot was bust and I went through some water and my atv started acting like it didn't want to go its an automatic so I changed all gear oil in front and back differential and its still slipping could anyone tell me what I can do next

Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

Originally Posted by Allan Bushnell
my atv cv shaft boot was bust and I went through some water and my atv started acting like it didn't want to go its an automatic so I changed all gear oil in front and back differential and its still slipping could anyone tell me what I can do next
What ATV? I would start by finding the drain plug on the belt housing and drain any water that may be in there! And get that boot fixed...it will only lead to more problems...and it is cheap to fix-about 20 bucks and 20 minutes...make sure you will it up with grease before you put the boot back on!!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by keithr
Reminds me of the old "New England parking brake" trick.If you're RWD vehicle started to spin,apply the emergency brake to slow the spinning tire,then power thru the brakes with the throttle.I'm sure it'd work with someone that had better reflexes than me & would remember to apply both Ft. brakes appropriately when needed.I'm not that adroit,unfortunately.But I love the idea.Maybe someone smarter than I will invent a proportioning valve to handle that chore . Thanks, keith
A lot of people just simply grab the front brakes on their bikes and claim it helps make the diff pull a bit better.... I honestly can't see it doing much since it should be applying brake to both front tires equally.

Honestly, I can't say I use my locker enough to HAVE to have it.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Honestly, I can't say I use my locker enough to HAVE to have it.
I,m in 2wd mode 90% of the time let alone diff lock but when its needed its good to have.
Easier to put a ATV into diff lock rather then get off and tie a winch to a tree.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TLC
I,m in 2wd mode 90% of the time let alone diff lock but when its needed its good to have.
Easier to put a ATV into diff lock rather then get off and tie a winch to a tree.
I can't argue with that, but to be honest, the majority of the times that I have been stuck, a diff lock didn't really make much of a difference... I wasn't going through the holes I was stuck in anyway....

My Prairie has the diff lock that you can just pull, and its nice to at least feel like it might help.... LOL Heck, sometimes it did when I had the big outlaws on it...

With that being said, I have on often found myself using the diff lock to pull with, but honestly I shouldn't have been pulling the weight I was anyway....

Of course now days I just stick to the speed of the sports bikes and watch from afar as everybody else destroys their bikes in those deep holes I used to play in....