Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Who Cares Which Quad is the Fastest in a Drag or Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gabe,

It's funny how two (or more) opinions can vary so much and still have a ring of truth to both. Really, it is a dead issue. It's nice to have a machine with abilities so abundant that with any shortcoming in riding/racing, the rider knows exactly who to blame (himself). Reading all of these posts has re-affirmed my belief that for now, I need to continue to focus on handling upgrades instead of pursue more power.

In the future I'll come to the conclusion that I may need more power. I'll do this either because with all of the improvements I'll still be no faster where I ride and just want straight-line bragging rights or I will have come close to harnessing the power already available and will be willing to deal with more.

In the end, it's pefectly acceptable for each to do whatever he/she wants to do with their quad. We all ride with different reasons, but work towards the same goal, to have fun.

Old 03-16-2001, 02:33 PM
Range Rover

KyRaptor,

First of all, thanks for voicing your opinion in an intelligent manner and without bashing etc... That is part of the reason I started the post because every one of the drag race discussions turns into an argument that is out of control. You make some good points and maybe I do understand a little better now. And a few others responded with a thoughtful reply so thanks to you also.

A few comments and then I will be done with this thread. These comments are only meant to better explain where I was coming from:
- My thought was if a quad is faster in a straight line but gets passed in the first turn, first jump, or when the terrain gets rough - then is that something to brag about?
- Do you think they have these same top speed arguments on a dirt bike forum? I can tell you they don't because handling, braking, turning, and stability are all just as important (or more) than acceleration and top speed.
- I am looking forward to finding out if a Raptor might have something for me. My motor puts out over 50 horsepower so a modified raptor should be close in the acceleration department. But my advantage wil be in the handling and much lower center of gravity in the 250R chassis. I will be happy to report the results on this forum if any Raptors enter my local races.

Old 03-16-2001, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer

Tim1? Umm No.. GP1200R BAM TAKE THAT!!

Old 03-16-2001, 08:01 PM
Range Rover

Blodg500rx

I would not rush into thinking the Raptor is dead and buried in the handling department. I ride with two 400exs and a 440ex. They all have wide rears and offset fronts with aftermarket shocks on the front. Mine will flat smoke them in the corners. It shocked them. They were riding mine and smoking the others. The 440ex rider, this morning, ordered $1500 worth of parts to try and keep up with it. There is an amazing difference from the stock Raptor.

Keep up your posts. Usually some of the most informative I have read.

Blue Raptor: TCS Shocks, LoneStar A-Arms +3, DuraBlue axle +5, Fastline Brake Lines, Big Gun Pipe, GYTR Silencer, No-airlid, DG Bumper, Renthal Bar, 41t rear, 12t front, sparks ign. advance, front grooved car tires(19x6x10), Rear turf tamers(18x9.5x8), Reinforced wheels,
00 KX 125 ( A real race machine)