Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pictures of new shocks... man does the Raptor look better or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.metalcraft-ar15.com/bash/new_elka_shocks.htm

There are 2 pages of pictures.. These shocks look like they were made for the Raptor.. well, I guess they were..

They lower the Raptor just the right amount.. check it out..

Old 04-24-2001, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Bash what a sweet loking Raptor you have created! If I get those Elka's and then decide to get wider a-arms will I have to get new shock's again? Also do you have the rear linkage flipped on your Raptor? Thank you for your help.

Raptor Blue
GYT-R FULL SKIDS
GYT-R HEEL GUARDS
GYT-R SHOCKCOVERS
GYT-R HEADLIGHT COVERS
GYT-R CARBON FIBER PIPE
GYT-R HOUR/TACH METER
GYT-R BLUE STROBE GRAPHICS AND SEAT
RENTHAL BARS
GRAYDON PROLINE NERFS
LONESTAR AXLE +2
STAINLESS BRAIDED STEEL RADIATOR HOSES

Old 04-24-2001, 02:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ahhh.....looks nice. In your opinion, did the taller tires hurt cornering abilities? Have you flipped the rear linkage for a lower rear?

Old 04-24-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

raptor01blue,

There was a company that sold extended a-arms for the Raptor that said you could use the stock shocks or aftermarket ones. So, basically, you wouldn't have to buy new shocks! They were called Strong-Arm a-arms. If you want more info, I'll try and dig it up.

Old 04-24-2001, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

Bartman I would appreciate it thank you.

Old 04-24-2001, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

the strong-arms look pretty sweet check them out-
www.hsdracing.com

Old 04-24-2001, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Raptorblue,

You'll be able to keep the same shocks, but may need to change springs or valving depending on the geometry of the a-arms.

Old 04-24-2001, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Gary and Raptorblue,

Yes, the linkage is flipped in those pictures. I'm still considering if I'm better off with it flipped or stock with a lot of preload taken out of it.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some serious riding by this weekend and will then have a good idea what direction that I want to go.

TIRES:

The larger tires didn't help it corner any, but not so sure that they hurt. They definitely improved woods riding and also work great for preventing wheel damage in very rocky terrain.

After the modifications including axle and front shocks, it's a real handler now, even with the tall tires. Powerslides are no problem now. I hate to do it to my grass, but testing it out in my back yard, I made a long sweeping turn gassing it with the front wheels locked in the opposite direction. It was a classic powerslide!

I can't wait to get it back into the woods!

Old 04-24-2001, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

raptor01blue:

check out this website, call them if anything, I can't seem to find the info about the shocks fitting either way. Hope this helps. They seem to be pretty trick looking. http://www.hsdracing.com/

Old 04-27-2001, 06:37 AM
Range Rover

Been doing my homework on shocks to see who gets my hard earned money. Was told Works makes the shocks for TCS and PEP, They just do the custom valving and it takes about a month or better to get them while Works has got about a 2 week wait. Love the look of the ELKAS but wondering the differance between their single spring and all the other dual or triple rates. I'm looking for a pair with some sag to match the ride height of my flipped relay arm and some added travel with adjustments of comp. and rebound. If the Elkas would preform as well as the Works Pro Piggybacks, I would go with them, or should I wait for the triple rates you mentioned? Thanks for any info.

Quick Reply: Pictures of new shocks... man does the Raptor look better or what?