Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

just picked up a grizzly and need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just picked up a grizzly and need help!

Hi everyone,

Just picked up a 2017 700 with EPS. Has some damage in the front (mostly superficial) and some electrical issues going on, but for 2800, I thought I would give it chance!
So here is what is going on....
Key on and the only thing that lit up on the display was the yellow EPS light. Nothing in the LCD. Turns out the battery was low at 9 volts so we jumper cabled it to a F-150. Hit the start button and it fired up and would run, but if you released the button, it would cut off. Started it up again and while holding the green start button, tried to put it in gear (was in neutral) and it would cut off again. Guy had replaced the solenoid once already. Also when it started up the LCD display came on - has 351 miles on it!
Anyone know where to start chasing this issue? He thought the ECU was bad, but obviously it fired and ran so I don't think that is the issue.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer

Figured it out - previous owner swapped the positive and negative on the relay! I just assumed it was correct - as I did not take it apart initially.

On to the next issue.....
Now that it runs, I was able to put it in gear and drive forward and reverse. However in High range, it felt like it was stuck in low - revved up almost all the throttle and it was maxing out at 7-9 miles an hour. Any thoughts?

Old 01-12-2020, 04:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 328 Likes on 319 Posts

Does it roll easily in neutral? A stuck brake would slow it a bit, but 9MPH would seem slow even in low range. I suspect a problem with the belt drive. It would be worth taking the belt cover off and seeing if all is well in there. To be honest I can't think of anything that could go wrong, but as previous owner seems to have been a "Tinkerer" anything is possible.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:08 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merryman
Does it roll easily in neutral? A stuck brake would slow it a bit, but 9MPH would seem slow even in low range. I suspect a problem with the belt drive. It would be worth taking the belt cover off and seeing if all is well in there. To be honest I can't think of anything that could go wrong, but as previous owner seems to have been a "Tinkerer" anything is possible.
It does roll in netural easily so I don't think it is a stuck brake, and I had all tires off to clean the mud and dirt out and was able to spin each hub by hand.
Next step is to take the belt cover off and look there.....
I know the previous owner did not mess with anything in the belt area. It also has only 358 miles and 42 hours on it. Could the wet clutch be toast already? Keeping fingers crossed that is not the case!

Old 01-13-2020, 04:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 328 Likes on 319 Posts

Again, doubt if you could wear out the centrifugal clutch in 42 hours, but if you pulled heavy weights in hi gear, you may slip the clutch enough to glaze the linings, particularly if you did it all the time, the more you slip the clutch, the more glazed it gets. Kawasaki KLF300s were particularly prone to glazed clutches, but they had manual gearboxes.