Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

First Time On a Banshee Today And Was wondering???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,
I got to ride a banshee today for the very first time and man was that thing fast.My question is is how much faster than stock does a set of toomey t5's,a jet kit,and better breathing make it feel?Thank's for any information.

Old 05-03-2001, 06:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

you are still not going to get any bottom end from tomey pipes . so get a Raptor or get beat

Old 05-03-2001, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

On a banshee, a set of toomey t5's, proper jetting, and air flow will be about a 14 to 15 hp increase.

You will have slightly less bottom end than stock, and there will be no raptor that will touch you.

If anyone thinks different then bring it on. I will meet you at the dunes anytime.....

Old 05-03-2001, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

yamaracer5,

I stand by my statement when I say that there is no other quad in production that feels as fast as a Banshee. However, adding pipes and better breathing make the stock Banshee feel a little flat on top end if you can believe that.

With stock pipes, the Banshee rips, but on top end, it feels like it dies when you get up to max RPMs. With my LRD pipes, it just seemed to keep pulling as the power continued to build. The rush and length of the powerband with some good pipes is addictive. I've got a very nice Raptor, but there is a part of me that misses the rush of power that only a Banshee can deliver.

Old 05-03-2001, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Trxoutlaw...

No raptor can touch a a pipped and slightly modded banshee??? wow.. thats a a statement.

First, look at the raptor motor. It's basically the same as the europian 660 Street bike. that motor cranks out OVER 60 horse bone stock. The raptor is so UNDER done that it's just waiting to be beefed up. For less than $1000 you can pipe, redo the intake, and change the piston to 11:1 (from 8:1) and dyno 63 horse out of a raptor. (I've seen dyno sheets with it done). Thats 25 horse over the stock 38 the raptor puts out, and that my friend is a lot of ponies over a WIDE power range.

Now a mildly beefed up banshee as you speak about starts at about 30 horse, add 15 in the mods you've done and we're talking 45 horse give or take.

The weight on the quads is near the same, within 20 pounds.

I would have to say you haven't BEGUN to see beefed up raptors yet, not in any way shape or form. Give it a year or 2, that motor will be screaming. The banshee has been out for 14 years, so just about every part is available from at least 20 different places.

The raptor is new.. and as a STOCK bike I agree with you it is WAY underpowered. I except over time for this to change.

Back to my point, Banshees will be given a run for their money, and it won't be long before it happens....

This is coming from someone with a big bore banshee, port polished and all the go fast toys...

Just my $.02
Brad

Old 05-03-2001, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thats why i keep the banshee..who cares if it is not the fastest technically..all i care about it that it feels like it goes 100mph(settle down guys it doesnt actually go that fast) and the feeling is enough for me.

Old 05-03-2001, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

BansheeBrad,

Your right, I wasnt being very broad with my statement. There is always something that can be done to any bike to make it faster, and it will beat something else in a specific situation.

The answer is, how much money do you want to use...

I have heard many a comment about how a raptor will beat even a piped banshee. OK, that may be true but at what situation..

My statement comes from my riding, mostly at the sand dunes or flats here in Utah. I have seen one raptor beat piped and ported banshee's up sand mountain. The raptor has had lots of work done to it. (I was told a few thousand $). With that kind of money, I could make the banshee out run it.

I also have a 440 ex that has beaten raptors (stock and piped) up sand mountain, and yes I also have been beaten by them.

Old 05-03-2001, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

yamaracer5, to get back on track and actually answer your question. The answer is a LOT. The T-5s will give you a lot better top end that will kick in harder and pull a LOT longer with proper jetting and better breathing (K&N). If it feels flat on top it may be too lean, by the way.

Old 05-03-2001, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

First of all, forget all those stupids who started arguing banshee vs raptor. We all know the truth. The winner is the one with a smile on his face.
Go to www.mobiledyno.com, you will find tons of dynos that don't lie.
I would also like you to note the rz350 (powervalved) vs banshee dyno. It's impressive, to say the least. If you can find a RZ350 top end with ignition, it is the way to go. BTW, a banshee with RZ topend and Toomey T5 has been dynoed at 55 hp. (vs 34 stock).
A good set of pipes, a good air filter will already make a difference, but if you still wanna go faster, rz top end. I was thinking about getting new pipes, but I had forgotten about the rz engine. I'll forget the pipes and get that top end as soon as I feel ready to work a little on the bike (now, I don't...I only want to ride).

Old 05-03-2001, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok well let me say two things. When you start piping,jetting, porting and anyother mods how long before you need a top end on the high rev shee! Or any two stroke Second this is a fact I've riden them the gears are to close and you are constantly shifting fast. The Raptor has more torque no question.

Quick Reply: First Time On a Banshee Today And Was wondering???