Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The forum may soon have to add one more manufacturer to there list Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my complaints, but HD is very big in certain forms of racing. They dominate in dirt circle track racing and they are the king of the hill in Top Fuel in drag bikes. The only thing is, if they build an ATV, it better not be anywhere as near as loud as thier street bikes, if they are, it will be disaster for atvers all over the world. If we start disturbing people by riding past thier house with a HD atv that has an exhaust that shakes the ground, an outlaw of atv's will be in effect as fast as you can blink your eyes.

Old 05-17-2001, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Quote: They are not fast, not comfortable, vibrate like he!!, not smooth.....

If you only knew the REAL truth....

In a lot of ways a HD parallels a SP. They ARE heavy. They have tons of grunt, and the vibration is minimal. You actually get MORE vibration from the Jap bikes turning 4-5k on the road than a HD plugging away at 2500! When it comes time to pass, you just roll on it. No need to downshift a high strung motor to get the revs up.

BTW, I have 2 Yamahas as well. I'll probably keep the Seca Turbo for the fun of it.

Old 05-17-2001, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Not a whole lot to be said that hasn't already:

I own a Harley (yes it is LOUD) AND quads, AND metric bikes.

Harleys are NOT loud! Fire up a stocker in the showroom with the enricher on, and youd swear it was a Kohler garden tractor! PIPES are what makes them loud.

The Harley Twin Cam is one of the finest engines in a motorcycle today. They are VERY torquey, smooth, quite no leaks. HD just chose to retain the air cooled, 45° single pin crank, pushrod V-twin to retain tradition.

The Metric mfr.s try desperatley to copy the style, and IMHO have fallen WELL short. There's just nothing else like it in the world.

Old 05-17-2001, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

DieselPro,
I read what you wrote, and you said a stock HD is not loud because it has an enricher on it. Well, we have all agreed that a Harley is not fast and never will be the fastest bike on the street. I may be stupid, but could you explain to me the purpose for putting a pipe on that is soo loud. The only reason I can think of is that Harley riders like to hear the pipes crack, and listen to the noise echo off of peoples houses as they ride down the street. Other than controlled racing applications, there is no reason for it.

Do you realize you are pi*sing people off? They go by at 2:00am and just rattle the windows, my dog is barking, and soon the whole house is up! I am not saying that you are one of the ones that abuse this and sit and rev the bike forever, but most of the HD owners do this. What I AM saying, is that if these pipes were not soo loud, even the ones who want to rev thier bike like an a**hole will not bother anyone.

For you explaination of vibration.....not even close! I have ridden Harleys and c rockets, and the Harley by far wins the vibration contest at any rpm level. With more rpm each vibration gets closer to the next, eventually you get more of a humming effect, with the Harley, you can see vertually every part on the bike shaking. You don't see that on a C rocket. You are comparing a "Weed Whip" vibration to a "Jack Hammer" vibration. I'll take the weed whip! Also someone said "You can't afford a Harley", well, if they only cost 50 bucks, I would not buy one!

Old 05-17-2001, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

hey i just remembered something! harley has a racing crotch rocket. it is only for sale in this one country in like europe. i don't know the engine size but i thinks its somewhere in the 500- 700 cc range. i know they have this bike because my dads friend is a machinist and hes really good. people from all over the world contact him to make parts for their stuff. he made a part for the racing bike for harley thats when i first heard about it. he also has a model of it. well i'm sure if that engine was in a quad it would be very fast! you might not have believed a word i just said but its true. look it up.

Old 05-18-2001, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Running on enricher with stock pipes makes it sound just like a Kohler. Has little to do with enricher, more so the fast idle.

Suffice to say, theres good and bad in all. there are snowmobilers, ATV'ers crotch rockets with 4 into 1 zingers, and even metric cruisers that make a lot of noise. It's all in how it's ridden.

YES mine is LOUD, but only when I get on it. i dont run drags, but I do run about the loudest 2 into 1 on the market. Deeop and mean!

Old 05-18-2001, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Your not thinking of the Buell are you?

Old 05-18-2001, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Harley's are overpriced, underpowered, and overweight. Just FYI, I've gone head to head in a top gear roll on with several Harleys. The one thing they all had in common was how fast they disappeared in my rear view mirror. If you down shift my bike to past, you are one of those people who use the word "now" in the past tence!

Rick

Old 05-18-2001, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

If Harley Davidson had more engineers than lawyers, maybe they would have a better bike.

Or ask yourself this. If HD built airplanes, would you fly in one?

Old 05-18-2001, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

swen: no the bike i'm thinking of is a harley. another friend of my dad's has a buell (its got a harley engine in it) and thier different bikes.