Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

where can i find a warrior oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to know where i can find an oil cooler for on my 2000 warrior, websites?

Old 06-17-2001, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Get a hold of FOUR STROKE TECH, talk to Micky Dunlap. He has a nice kit available for $100. Got one on my Warrior, and it makes a nice difference. Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2001, 06:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

want a better setup using Yamaha parts :

http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_craig/warrior%20link.htm

Kiwi

Old 06-21-2001, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

Who knows if it's better or not. It sure does'nt look "clean" and factory equipped like a properly installed FST kit does. Probably ain't cheaper either. What I like about the FST kit is that the crank benefits from the cooler oil first, exactly where it is needed, as the Warrior has vulnerable crank bearings to start with.

Old 06-21-2001, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

I think I'd sooner use the Yamaha designed unit from the Grizzly and Kodiac........ that's what it is. If you study the engines oiling system there is no real difference, the passage that FST tap into comes from the opposite side of the engine where the Yamaha unit attaches. What I don't like is the FST cooler element, it has a low ratio of cooling passage area to fin surface area, basically it is a cheap auto tranny element, tests by this magazine on a similar cooler unit on a Honda found only a small temp drop, thats why. All the bike coolers are of similar construction to the grizzly unit we used....... If it's good enough for an auto clutch grizz 4 by 4........

The engine adaptor was on $20 bucks...... hoses and cooler element depends on how flash you want to be......

Sure, my old warrior was no mint unit....... but the cooler adapter etc is very sano.............

kiwi

Old 06-21-2001, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

I live in Indiana and do allot of riding in the mud on fairly hot days... what I am wondering is whether an oil cooler is necessary and how can you tell?
I don't want to spend the money RIGHT NOW if it isn't necessary, but obviously this is something I do want in the future... I just need help finding out how important it is and how high on my list of "wants" should it place.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-21-2001, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

Kiwi Craig, I remember looking at that site last year. I definately want an oil cooler on my Warrior. Some of the other responses implied that FST are more able to "engineer" and "test" a product than some average dude with a hot running Warrior. (That means you, Craig) But what they are failing to see, is that YAMAHA did extensive testing on this basic set-up in the production of the Big Bear. I will be buying my oil cooler parts from the Yamaha dealer, and using, basically, Kiwi's configuration. I make all my own braided lines for my cars, anyhow, so that's not a problem. I might just locate my core elsewhere, that's my only difference.
As far as oddball fittings, that still are strong, and look professional, I'd recommend aircraft fittings, such as Aeroquip. Good stuff, and strong enough for aircraft applications guarantee that a quad WON'T blow em' out. Other than what the local automotive hi-po shop may carry, if you need aircraft fittings, in wierd shapes and sizes, and want them quick, I deal with Godman's Performance, in Tennessee. Get their catalog if you build race cars/bikes. You'll use it often.

Old 06-22-2001, 06:12 AM
Pro Rider

I've done a couple of setups for friends and we have found and used Russell automotive fittings that fitted the Big Bear side plate, good price to and it looks as trick as hell with the red and blue anodised fittings and stainless braided hoses. I think the FST idea of going in through the clutch case is a good one but they should offer a better quality cooler, something like the Jagg units, see:

http://www.jagg.com/index.htm

THe big bear unit is great if you can find one in good condition second hand but it's a tight fit, the later model frames post 90 ? have more frame room up front and the bear unit can be squeezed in alot better than my old 88.

I used to get heat burn through my right hand boot from the engine when it got really hot, basically after 1/2 hr hard out in the dunes she was overheating pretty bad and would get to the point where it wouldn't rev out ...... you couldn't put your gloved hand on the clutch side case it was so hot and it stayed hot for ages after shut down. After fitting the cooler after even the hardest run you could place your gloved hand on the clutch case no worries and it cooled of real quick. It works and I would recommend it to any hard charging Warrior owner.

kiwi

Old 10-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default where can i find a warrior oil cooler

I just finished putting the Big bear type setup on my 95. I used a cooler off of a CB900. I was very suprised at how much cooler it kept the engine. Being the gentleman I am, I used to spit on the clutch cover and watch it sizzle off. Now, it just does not get hot enough to do that. It's well worth the time if you can score parts for cheep.

Rob

Old 10-08-2003, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default where can i find a warrior oil cooler

Mascman is on the forums and on ebay sold me mine for 60 Bucks works very nice too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]