Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

General 02 Grizz Questions,

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 12:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
This new Grizz is my first quad. I have a couple general questions.
First off, How often should I change the oil? I don't mind the cost, as it preserves the life of the quad, Just wonder how often?
Second off.. Do my valves need to be adjusted? I have 300+miles on it, and it kinda idles rough when first started, and I can only get about 64 out of her?
Third off... Wheel spacers, Would they give me any bennifit with stock rims and tires? would 3 inches total be a noticeable diffrence as far as powersliding goes? Thanks much!

-Jared

Old 07-19-2001, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Oil- I would change the oil and clean the oil filter every 2-3months depending on how much you ride. Also replace the oil filter every 6 months to a year.

I would cheack the valves. Just get a feiler gauge and work with them. It is no big deal.

The wheel spacers will put stress on the hubs/spindals. It would help you be more stable too.

Old 07-19-2001, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

I have to disagree about the 2-3 month oil change and the 6 month to a year filter change. Some people can rack up a TON of miles in 2-3 months, and a year for a filter change is down right crazy! A $6,000+ machine-you'd think you'd spend the few extra dollars to take care of it properly and change the oil at regular intervals.

It is usually recommended to change the oil AND filter every 300-500 miles. When running standard AC oil, I changed every 300. I'm running Quaker State 4x4 semi-synthetic blend now, and will change it every 500, along with filter as well. While it might cost a little more to change the oil at these intervals, it will at least give you "piece of mind" knowing your machine is well serviced, and should a problem occur-it won't be because of dirty or damaged oil. I'd much rather spend the money and change it more often, rather than not enough-much better for the machine to have good, clean oil. Just my opinion though, take it for what it's worth.

Also, check your air filter after every ride, if in dusty conditions. If not, I usually clean it at every oil change, and more frequently as needed.

As for the other stuff, Fourlix would probably have the best answer for you about the powersliding bit-I think he's come up with a good solution if it worked out for him.

Anyway, Best of Luck with the new machine, hope you really enjoy it!

Mike

Old 07-19-2001, 04:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

On my AC, I changed the oil first at 250 miles. I had meant to do it at 150, but they didn't have the oil filters in yet. I'll do it at 150-200 for this new quad. After that, every 500 miles is what I do. I changed the differential fluid at 1300 on the AC. That was after 2 years. I used quaker state 10w-40, same as I've used in all my trucks. The yamaha owners manual said something about not using passenger car oil in a 4-wheeler, but I think thats just a ploy to make you pay $3 a quart for their Yamalube crap. I'll use the same stuff in the Grizzly more than likely. Never hurt any of my other quads.

On the contrary, you could just have got a honda. Talk about bad maintenance. Our 89 300 Honda has had the oil changed 4 maybe 5 times ever. Runs like a singer sewing machine. No power loss over 12 years, no buring oil, no smoking, and it will wind out to 51 on a GPS eventually on flat pavement. Those honda boys make a helluva engine. Too bad they can't do anything for the rest of the quad. The real world uses disc brakes now Honda.

Old 07-19-2001, 04:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Also, some guy the other day was asking about mileage. I put in 2.6 gallons today after 54 miles. That was mainly dirt road riding. I'd say around 20mpg casual riding, an a lot less if you did extremely slow technical riding or farm work. Yes boys, its a gashog as expected.

Old 07-20-2001, 01:42 AM
Range Rover

Hey guys,
Anyone have thoughts on the valves or the wheel spacers? Thanks.

P.S. Anyone wanna ride out in Neilsville this weekend?

-Jared

Old 07-20-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

I strongly urge you not to get the wheelspacers. I hear many horror stories from sport riders anyways especially on jumping. They say that you might ruin ur rims or a-arms by adding wheel spacers. They're just not the risks. You won't even benefit much!

Old 07-20-2001, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

Don't know if it's a ploy or not since this is the first Yamaha I have owned but the book and my dealer said to not use car oil. I don't know it may be fine but is it worth the chance? I also believe in regular maintenance on my quads, spend the extra couple of bucks and change your oil and filter regularly. 300-500 miles as already stated is a good range to keep in mind for this.

Old 07-20-2001, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider
Location: South Central Illinois, NO where near Chicago, that's not my Illinois

Change your oil based on the type of ridig you do. If it's hard lugging,towing,deep snow etc. change it more often and based on the hours (nice they are finally putting hour meters on these things) not on the miles. Another nice thing about the auto quads is no wet clutch so after they are broke-in you can run semi or fully synthetic oil in them and go at least twice as long between oil changes. With conventional oil I change it around every 20hrs if we've been in and out of the water,mud etc. a bunch. I change it around every 40hrs if its a lot of open trail riding. This may sound too often but hay oil is cheap compared to an engine rebuild and besides we then use the oil in our shop waist oil heater, it heats for two hours per qt and produces almost no emissions.
As for adjusting the valves, go by the user manual for the first few adjustments and note how much if at all they needed adjusted. Then use your ears, with every quad I've ever owned I could always tell when the valves needed adjustig by the sound the engine makes while idling. If the valves need adjusting they will make a clinking noise and it's uasually easy to hear.
But the bottom line here is you can always go back to the user manual and if you do what it says you can not go wrong.

Good luck
Ride Safe, All
Prairie 650
Quadmaster 500