Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why won't my blaster idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here the thing, my blaster won't idle, it is always revving, even when i a mgiving it no gas it keeps moving. i have changed the jetting and replaced the head gasket, could it be a cracked engine case or what, i don't get it and i don't fell like paying a shop to do it for me right now, also, when i pull in the clutch and its not moving or anything, it moves but not very well, do i need to replace something like the spring or what. i know it has a lot of problems, i need help.
-Jacob-

Old 10-17-2001, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, im no blaster expert, but one of my friends did the same thing. Upon further inspection, i determined that his floats where sticking, and the cause, the rod holding the floats to the carb was bent. so everynow and then it would rev for about 5 seconds and then correct its self.

Sorry i couldnt be of more assistance, maybe the blaster guys could really help you out, but only 7 people have even looked at this topic in a day and a half.

Sorry man

Derek

Old 10-17-2001, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds very typical of an air leak. You should perform a leak down test on the motor to determine where it is coming from. Alot of blasters have troubles sealing where the rubber meets the read cage and there is no gasket. Check it out, your motor is lean that is why it revs up at idle.

Old 10-17-2001, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

One of the first things I would check is the throttle cable. Too many times I see people adjust the idle using the throttle cable and not the carburator screw. Then when ridden, the idle is always changing because the cable gets pulled when you turn the bars. Make sure there is free play in the throttle cable.

Old 10-17-2001, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

Okay, thanks for the help, i don't think it is the float valve because it doesn't correct itself, it jsut keeps revving, i don't think its lean because ive put a 250 on and a 230 and it didn't make a difference at idle and i bought 3 new gaskets and put them on both sides of my reed spacer and where the rubber connects to the reed cage. i think its the cylinder, i will do a leak down when i get the stuff so it probably won't be for a week or two, thanks for all the help, im about ready to break down and jsut take it to the shop and hand them my bank acount. thanks again.

Old 10-18-2001, 01:00 AM
Range Rover

In most cases I would say it is an air leak (intake boot or main seals). However, I know of two Blasters in the past that had a similar problem and it was the carburetor cap. If I remember correctly, the carburetor cap has a part of the TORS system built into it which makes adjusting the idle a little different than most quads. In my opinion, this system works about a reliably as the rear brakes on that beast. Some performance shops offer a simplified system (for about $60) that works better without the TORS.

Does the quad run correctly at all other times. If it is an air leak, you should experience problems all over the rev range, not just idle. You mention trying a 230 and 250 so you ruled out an air leak. That makes no sence. I assume you are talking about changing the main jets. THAT WILL HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON AN AIR LEAK PROBLEM. The main jet in the carburetor is not even being used at idle. Even at other throttle settings, you can't try to balance out the effects of an air leak by putting in larger main jets.

Old 10-18-2001, 03:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm with 92LT ...

Just had the same problem . except mine also had slight backfires now and then. it was the cable. Mine wasn't adjusted wrong, it was that the cable would move in and out of the 'housing' at the top of the carb and by the throttle .This would simulate a misadjustment of the cable and keep the carb slide open more than it was supposed to be. temporarily I put some tape around the end of the cable and the top of the carb to hold it in position... runs fine now !

Old 10-18-2001, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Remove the gasket you have between the rubber boot and the reed cage. There is only suppose to be a gasket between the motor and reed cage. The rubber boot is self sealing. If there is a small airleak there use some yamaha bond or something similar in a small amount on the rubber but not a gasket. The rubber boot will have a very hard time sealing with a gasket there. Also, the throttle cable adjustment as mentioned before is something to look at if you adjusted it lately.