Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Dealers Incompetant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 11:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my Raptor back from the dealer two weeks ago. It was taken in to them because an upper a-arm was bent, and they said they would fix it under warranty. When I got it home I noticed the following things wrong with it:

#1 - The is a plastic piece on the a-arm that holds the brake line on. It was broke. They didn't replace it.

#2 - They did not grease the a-arm. Took about 30 pumps from the grease gun to fill it up.

#3 - The nut/bolt the holds the upper a-arm on was strippped.

#4 - They did not put the cotter pin back in the upper a-arm ball joint.

Is it just me, or does it seem Yamaha dealers have totally incompetant workmanship? I think I'll be the only one to work on my bike from now on.

Old 10-17-2001, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer

Living in the valley with sand and lake bed everywhere, The quad to have here is the banshee, It's easly the most popular.

I own a raptor The mechanics here if you ask for advice for more power, they tell you. "Not sure, we ride banshee's"
They tell me to look in the atv mag's and pick one.

I also did my first free check up through them, When I got it back the oil cap was leaking, There was items loose everywhere.
That was not loose going in.
I also have a vmax motorcycle. The mechanic straight out told me.
Wow, we don't get many of these to work on. Then he asked me for the service manual???? I never been back to that dealer since.

I have been lucky to find a local young man who runs a shop. He's better priced, Works faster, Parts cheaper, and the quality of his work is awesome. He'll take the time to explain tips and tricks if Id like to do it myself.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

I had a similar experience with my kawasaki dealer (also sells yamaha and suzuki). I had my 650 serviced. When I got it back, there was almost no front diff and rear diff fluid. The engine oil was a 1/2" above the full line. And the plastic wasn't on properly. I'm still scratching my head why I paid the $100 for the first service on it.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

As a service manager for an industrial equip dealership, I'd suggest making an appointment with the owner and service mgr, and then take the quad to them. Ask 'em to fix it and do a full service ($160/-- to $200.00) for free/discount. If they balk, ask for the ph # to Yamaha customer service and file a written complaint. Ask for a call back from the regional service mgr. Be persistent, patient, and professional about it. I own tons of quads, toys, r-v's, snowboards, trucks, etc, and this always works. Pls send me a private msg in a few wks if it doesn't.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:46 PM
Range Rover

I took my Tboss in for a check up and had K&N power kit installed.

1. plastic was not put back on right.
2. they did not plug the headlight back in
3. they did not hook up the overflow for gas tank
4. they said they tighened my chain, unloading it off my truck noticed the rear housing was all the way against the stopper, and chain was laying accross swing arm
5. quad would flood out when setting there idleing

When I called them they said to bring it back and they would fix it. I took it back and they had it a week, and after that week I called them they said they didn't have time yet to look at it. I told them the had 45 minutes till I came to pick it up. After that I have not had any problems with them. Two weeks after that they fired the parts and service manager.

Old 10-18-2001, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

What lame excuse did they use when you called them back ???

Old 10-18-2001, 03:11 PM
Range Rover

I'm working on typing up a letter so I have a copy of exactly what is said. To be honest, I really don't want them to fix it for two reasons - First reason is that they are incompetant. Second - The only reason I noticed all this stuff was broken is because I bought aftermarket a-arms for my Raptor, and I was taking the old arms off to put the new ones on. So, they can't really fix it because the a-arms aren't on there anymore. I am thinking about copying all my receipts and send them to them with the letter and see if I can get some money off them.

Old 10-18-2001, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

You will not get anywhere talking to the dealer.
I had a problem with my suzuki dealer....It was not a bike problem. They would not make good on the free stuff I was supposed to get for buying a bike during suzukifest.
I called suzuki direct....you get assigned a case worker...and he does all the work.
A day later...I recieved a call from my local dealer. All of a sudden they were overly concerned for my needs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] And they even did the first check up for free.

Remember a few things about most of these shops. In my case...I attended MMI in Orlando. Came out of there with a full license to practice mechanics on honda, suzuki and Yamaha machines..including jet skis. Using the job placement they offered, I started working for my local dealer. You have to remember that most of these guys that are working on your machine are trained to work on STOCK machines. They are not supposed to do any work..especially warranty work to anything that looks like it has been altered. That draws a fine line that the dealers take full advantage of.
And though it is not an excuse...they pay the people that do your work next to nothing. Maybe they will sell you (the mechanic)a machine at cost...maybe. But that's about it. The dealers make money on billable hours. The slip gets handed to a mechanic...and he does the required work. They have no time to play with each machine in depth. There is always another slip waiting in the bin.
It was not for me...so I opened my own little business on the side. And continued my masters in computer science. That's why all of you should be hesitant to get any performance work done at a local dealer...they know nothing about it for the most part. For example: they were not trained to recommend jetting for an fmf pipe with a graydon airbox and a 60 over bore. If you get my drift. Any knowledge of that nature comes from secondary work on the mechanics part.

I know this does not explain what happened to some of you above. You should call the manufacturers. But it just gives you some kind of idea of what really goes on behind the scene...from someone who has worked there before.

Hope you all get better service in the future.

Old 10-18-2001, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

I took my bike in for the first inital adjustments. i asked them to change the oil. When i got the bike back i went riding figuring the oil had been changed. when i cahged the oil again after another 3 rides i drained it out and the oil was BLACK! They never changed it from the getgo..but they sure didi charge me. What a bunch of crooks> if you can do it yourself. DO IT

One more thing.. i asked their mechanic what size jet goes in what carb. he told me the left carb gets the bigger jet. WRONG !