Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 WORRIOR SLIPPING OUT OF GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2000, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently bought a worrior that likes to fall out of gear when I go up hills or put a lot of pressure on it. I have to shift it into reverse and back to get it to go. Has anyone eles had this happen? What can I do.

Old 01-11-2000, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

NOT TO BE A SMART ***, BUT MY DADDY TOLD ME TO NEVER BE A DUMB ***, HOW BIG OF A GUY ARE YOU? if your exceding the weight recomendations of the bike, this could be a prob. if your not, and dont get me wrong cat, i come in at 270 at 6' 2", so i address this myself, you might want the trans looked at. you didnt say what year, if it is older, you probably have a gear fork prob. it is internal, when you ****, the forks push the gears to mesh them with there counterparts, it one of the forks are bent, it wont engage properly, thus, slipping out of gear.
another possibility is , and this will hurt,
if the bike has alot of hours on it, and was "powershifted" alot, or shifted improperly, the gear "dogs" will wear odd, they actually hold the gears together of sorts while moving you, if they become worn, they wont "hold" on to each other, if this is the case, you might be looking at major money to replace sprocket, or, find one of the "old timers" , at an old harley shop or something, they used to dove tail the dogs years ago, the flattrackers that used to run like bultacos and huskies used to do it, it is a fix and cheaper then a new gear set. good luck

Old 01-11-2000, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

the **** was shift, i missed a letter, and i meant shift forks and gears, not sprocket, too many beers man, good luck, email me at mshea1@optonline.net for more help

Old 01-11-2000, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

It sounds like your problem is in the reverse gear mechanism. That little handle that you move to engage reverse is not staying locked in the unused position,which allowes all the forward gears to disengage from the transmission output shaft. It feels just like it's jumping out of gear and it can occur in any gear although it's more common in the upper ones. My sister's 9 month old warrior did the same thing. It ended up costing around $350 for parts which Yamaha paid and 10 or 12 hours labour which Yamaha didn't. Plus the quad was in the shop for more than a month; dealer claimed he couldn't get the parts.
So Big Guy I wish you luck on this one, but it doesn't look real good from here.

Old 01-12-2000, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the response I was wishing it was just an ajustment I bought the machine for my wife 110 lbs so I know its not becase shes to big for it. Im 6' 4 280 so I look a little stupid on it. Thanks again..

Old 01-12-2000, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

It sounds you are riding in too high a gear. You need to learn to how to ride the clutch before going up hills. You need experience using the clutch on FLAT ground. Learn the machine before you ask it to do hard work. It is called experience. Get it before you get dead or maimed.

[This message has been edited by warriorblaster (edited 01-12-2000).]

Old 01-14-2000, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Here's the trouble! You are gonna have to modify your shift technique. Keep pressure on the shift lever as you release the clutch you should feel it move up a bit more as the clutch lever is released, this allows it to go fully into gear and the slipping out will be gone. I had this trouble and after cursing out the machine I took it in to the shop where the owner showed me this and I havent had it happen since.

Mark '98 Warrior

Old 01-14-2000, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

thats it thank MR45AUTO I love this board. I knew someone would have this same deal. thaks again everyone.

Old 01-14-2000, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

thats it thanks MR45AUTO I love this board. I knew someone would have this same deal. thaks again everyone.