Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 widspread issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if its only mine that does this, but has anyone noticed the following;

Slight front gear noise, especially noticable when slowing to a stop. Noise is not loud but it is annoying not knowing whether or not its normal. This happens when in the 2-wheel drive high mode.

also, while in 4x4 I notice a vibration. Its not alot but has me wondering. I figured the vib is normal while riding in 4x4.

My 02' grizzly 660 has about 100 miles and about 15 hours on it, I have owned it for about 4 months but dont have much time to ride it. I have checked the front diff fluid and its full. Nothing visual leads me to suspect anything wrong.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-07-2001, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is something for you to check. I took my '02 Grizz out for it's first ride, and noticed a vibration in 4WD along with a minor ratcheting type noise. It didn't seem like a big deal, and I thought it may be a characteristic of the new machine (I have a '00 Grizz also). After I got home I was washing it, and noticed that the left front drive shaft was popped out of the differential approx 1". I brought it to the dealer, and after they tried a new "C" clip and then a new front differential assy, they called Yamaha tech line. The tech line people told the dealer that there are others out there with the same problem, and they are working on a fix for it (yes, I am still waiting). You may want to look at both front axles to make sure that they are tight to the differential. Good luck!!

Old 11-08-2001, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I'll bring it to dealer so that they will have some sort of complaint on record. I know yamaha warranty like to screw people.

Another thing I noticed that may or may not be normal;

When the machine has sat for a few days and I go to start it, The bottom end of engine thumps, as if it had a spun bearing or something, just for a few seconds then it goes away.

Notice that on yours?

Old 11-09-2001, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

Have a dealer check into your diff concerns. Most technicians have ridden the grizz so they should know what's normal and not.

On the lower end noise, it can't be the bearings because the crank bearings are ball bearings and the rod is needle bearings. Usually the big bores make some piston slap noise when it has sat for a while because the oil drained off the cylinder. The big bores need extra piston to cylinder clearance. Once the oil is sprayed up to piston, the noise goes away. Nothing to worry about but let the dealer hear it.

Old 11-09-2001, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Grizzguy,

You have completely flipped me out !!!!!!!!Because,I just purchased a
`02 Blue Grizz one month ago. The first time I went riding with my buddy I put 35kms (2.5hrs),This was just a test run so I can get accuainted with this machine.I am telling you, I was really impressed on what this Bad Bear can do.We went thru all kinds of different terrains ( Deep Water, Mud, swamp, etc...).It handeled very nice compared to my other atv(`93 Suzuki 300 4x4),I don`t want to put my old bike down ,But it`s a complete different feeling,UNCOMPARABLE!.I am also running on BI/TRI CLAWS 9.75" front, 12" Rear, 27" Height. When I got home, while I was washing my bike, Guess what I noticed,,,,,,,, the left front drive shaft was popped out of the differential approx 1"!!!!! I brought it to the dealer the very next Monday morning, and they said it`s the first time they have seen something like this and it most probably came from YAMAHA that way. So they took it apart, replaced the "C" ring and the diff. oil , in case water got in it . Since then, we went for another ride (80 kms, 7 hrs)and everything seems to be O K . for now.........

Old 11-10-2001, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just went out and checked my front, left shaft. While it wasn't sticking out at the time I could easily slide it in and out about an inch very easily with my hand. My dealer has been notified, but they close in 2 hours so he's gonna look at it first thing Monday morning. I'll keep everyone posted. I think everyone needs to go out and try to pull the shaft out to make sure it is secure. I tried pulling the other three shafts, but couldn't get any of them to budge.

Old 11-11-2001, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hay BoneDaddy, Mine has the same gear type vibration but only in 4 wheel drive. which front shaft is it that pulls out. im going to check mine tomarrow. Im wondering if its the same side that is pulling out on all of the differentials. also if its pulling out on all of them could this be normal for it to do this? or is it in danger of falling out while rideing it.

Old 11-11-2001, 06:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

It is the left, front shaft if you are sitting on the seat. Just grab the the green part of the shaft where it is connected to the differential and pull. Mine slides about an inch pretty easily. The front left is the only one though. I tugged the other ones pretty hard, but couldn't get them to move at all. There doesn't seem to be enough play in the CV joints to allow it to come all the way out though.

Old 11-11-2001, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

well ive just checked mine and the left front shaft does pull out just as everyone elses. but does this mean its normal or are all of these defective. i find it hard to believe that yamaha would allow that many units to escape off the assembly line with this defect.

Old 11-11-2001, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

If the front axle setup is the same on the 2002 as it is on the 2001, then the problem your having is easily fixed without loading it up and taking it to the dealer. There is enough back and forth movement in the front CV's to let the axle slide out a little, but not all the way. The biggest danger in that is that it will allow a lot of your front diff. oil to drain out, as it breaks the seal between the axle and the front carrier housing. The c-clip that holds the front axle in the dif is really nothing more than a wire snap ring that fits in a slot on the end of the axle. This part can be bought at any auto parts or hardware store. Simply remove the bolt that holds the A-arm to the ball joint. Drain the front diff. first, since a lot of the dif lube will drain out. Slide the axle out of the housing(normally this would take a good tug to do, but if its already hanging out some, you shouldn't have to pull too hard), remove the "c-clip" that is bad and replace it with a new one that fits correctly. Re-insert the axle(it may take a good hard push to get it back in all the way), re-attach the front A-arm to the ball joint, and re-fill the front dif. Then you should be ready to rock! If the front axle setup is different on the 2002 then it is on the 2001 then this may not work the same. I hope this was at least somewhat helpful. This kind of repair is so quick and easy to do at home, that its not worth the hassle of taking it back to the dealer to let them fix it! Then again, if the problem is the result of a defective housing, let them fix it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Rick

Quick Reply: Grizzly 660 widspread issue?