Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Prairie 650 vs. Grizz 660

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mich~

When you got your ITP aluminum rims, did the holes center perfectly around your lugs? The holes on my ITP rims are not centered as such when I put the lug nuts on they are tight against the rim on one side, but have a small space on the other side. I was just told that it's not right, and that it could cause lug breakage or you could have a problem of lug nuts backing off. I'm experiencing the latter. I am wondering if this is normal for ITP rims, or not?

SilverBear

Old 02-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No, I got the chrome plated steel ITP's. I got regular offset which is still more offset than the stock rims are. Puts it about perfect from my standpoint. ITP offers an offset rim, but it is extremely offset, and it would make your quad major wide. I passed on this. There is a guy on the AC forum that has this wide offset wheel on a 500i and he has pictures to show exactly how much it widened his quad. You couldn't fit it through a lot of places I go. Lots of tight trees.

I just got normal offset, but the difference in ITP's version compared to stock is a lot. I also thought it was neat that it is the same exact wheel for front and rear. No difference in offset from one to the other, and if for some reason you wanted to, you could actually put the rear tires on the front and vice versa. I don't know about the offset on the aluminum, but I figure its close to the same as the steel.

Old 02-05-2002, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Andy~

The offset on the ITP aluminum rims for the front of the Grizzly is about 2 inches I think. The rear is something like double that, but I got 4 front rims and agree that that's the right amount. Wouldn't you think sticking the rears way out there (besides keeping a person outta of a lot of tight places) would add stress to the cv's or hub?

SilverBear

Old 02-05-2002, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Area51, like Silverbear said, congradulations on your purchase. I'm betting you'll love that quad! But Hey, if you're married, don't forget about your wife. If she leaves you, she might take the Prairie!
Personally I think you did the right thing with the extended warranty and not the service plan. That price sounds ludicrous to me. I'm a mechanic though, so I'm naturally cheap when it comes to paying someone to change oil and do tuneups. You may want to let them do the tuneup when it is due though, just to make sure everything is O.K.. Good luck with it and keep us posted about how it is doing.

Old 02-06-2002, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

first off,
AREA 51, congratz on the new quad man!!! i hope it is all you ever dreamed of, as well as a hill crusher! silverbear, the rims fit real good. no offset of the holes, and the lugs have never come loose. i would say go to the place, or call, and tell them what is going on, maybe its just a flaw in them rims? Andy, the rims on mine were offset about 2 inchs each. i also have the front and rear the same. it is a wonderful differance in the stability with the new rims and tires. i am a little worried about the tight tree spots i do incounter though. my brother bought a new grizzly too, and in his first ride, while stock, he tried a steep off camber hill. he would have endoed, but i ran up behind him and hit his quad to stop it. i often wonder if i had stock rims and tires too, if i would have endoed right with him? the world may never know, lol!

my pictures