Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizz owners PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks vqarabs

I knew there was someone out there with a chain drive 2 stroke Polaris 400 that was what I was kinda looking for I think I am going to buy a grizz

And with regards to your Polaris comment
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;"It does go fast, and I love 2 strokes, but we're not impressed with it. Local dealer carries Polaris, Yamaha and Kawasaki - the service techs say the Polaris' are ALWAYS in for something."<<<<<<<<&l t;<<

THAT IS SO TRUE. I have a Yamaha Big bear and it hasn't had one thing wrong with it and I pull my boats out of the water twice a year at the cabin up to the racks most of the time and it has never died or had any problems at ALL. The Polaris it’s a little older and just last week everything died on it and I mean everything. It started with the Starter it just died I ripped it apart and the gears were melted together (the starter) I thought okay great not that big of a deal. Put it away for the night come back the next morning and all the oil in the shocks drained out and was all over my Garage floor on both of them. (Maybe one but Both) The front of my quad was practically on the floor the shocks were so soft. So I was driving it on the truck to go to Polaris dealer. Drive it up on some ramps onto the back of my pickup and I go flying up there and hit the breaks nothing (I slam into the back of my Box) on closer inspection on both sides the break oil is inside the rims of the tires on both. I went to Polaris they didn't really know. It was off warranty so 1000$ later it should be fixed I got the parts yesterday I am going to start today

I do not abuse my Quads either I ride them hard but I maintain them making sure all there fluids are up to there appropriate levels, Tires transmission belt checks, etc. Basic ATV maintenance. This whole thing really got my thinking how about one of those new Grizzlies by the people who truly know how to build an ATV…..YAMAHA

Anyone want to buy a 2 stroke Polaris it goes good that’s about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2002, 08:35 PM
PG
Weekend Warrior

Crazycoot,

I happen to own both the 650 and the 660. I feel that they both have more power than most people need. They also are very fast. The 650 is quicker off the line and tries to slide sideways and is more violent when the throttle is pegged. I think the Grizz is a little faster on top end however, as I have had it to 65mph and the 650 Prairie to only 62. The Prairie just gets there quicker. The Prairie also has more power for hill climbs as I think the V-twin puts out more lower end torque. The Grizzly also takes off with purpose yet it is a little smoother. The IRS is awesome with the 660. You will not believe the bumps you can take at high speed and remain stable. On the other hand, the Kawi can go faster on the trails due to the single axle. I feel like I am really flying down the trails with the Kawi and not experiencing the body roll you will on the Grizzly. Now keep in mind that this is slight. I mean if the Kawi 650 was never invented, the Grizz would be the best ute at going fast on trails. So my advice is what Silverbear told you. Ride both bikes and make up your mind. You will know when you ride, which is most comfortable for you. You cannot go wrong with either!

Old 02-16-2002, 01:10 PM
Range Rover

I cannot add anything of real value here. Most of the posts made already have been by those with more experience than I.

I do not have a 650. Nor have I ridden one on an extended trail ride, let alone own one.

But I can say this:

I have ridden my Grizzly on frozen sand, right around sea level, in 10 degree temps. I was riding double (My wife), with an overall payload of 450lbs (+/-). That brute got up to 65mph no problem. I'm not exagerating. In addition, I know that if I had left the throttle pegged it would have continued to accelerate (for how long I don't know).

Since I don't ride sport-quads I'm not used to going that fast. I have slight trepidation when it comes to pegging the throttle with only my weight on the bike.

I have ridden my friends '02 Grizzly on the same river bed and got it up to 70mph. Maybe I should get a helmet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2002, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

PG What type of trails do you ride and witch quad do you use the most out of your 660 and 650

And do you jump on your 660 after riding the Kawaski 650 and go "HELLO lots body role now" or can you just tell it has a little bite of body role then the 650 but its not so huge that when you trun Right the rest of the quad feels like it is turning Left (If that make sense)

Thanks for all your help
Did you take your swing arm OFF [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry PG not swing arm duuuuuuuuuuu havn't had the coffee yet

Did you take your >>>>>>Sway Bar<<<<<<<Off your Grizz 660 (Not swing arm duuuuuu)

Sorry

Old 02-18-2002, 03:51 PM
PG
Weekend Warrior

Crazycooter,

I ride mostly flat dirt/rocky trails with some hill climbs. I have a cycle country 48' plow on the Grizzly now, so I have not ridden it in a a month or so. I only jump on trails where there are small bumps or depressions on the ground. I do not have any "jumps" that I go over or any jumping spots that I frequent. I never have jumped either bike that way. I will say that the Grizzly does fine with the small trail bumps where you do get all wheels off the ground. I have not taken anything off either bike to answer your second question. They are both completely stock. I forgot to mention that the Kawasaki is also incredibly comfortable going over large bumps. As a matter of fact, you would not believe how fast you can go over bumps with it. It is only slightly behind the ride of the 660 in terms of plush on fast trails. Do not forget that the Grizzly is smaller than the Kawasaki in terms of length and width. The 660 is taller but weights about 10 pounds less. I only mention this because you allude to the Grizzly being so big. Also, do not get the impression that there is much body roll on the Grizz. You really have to be going fast on bumpy trails to get where the body roll makes it unstable. Most people will not go that fast on bumpy terrain. I think most riders hit their own limitations, in terms of skill, before they reach the bike's performance limitations. If you want to hop these up even further you can now buy many after market performance parts. This may also affect your decision on which to buy. Check out the March 2002 Atv 4 wheel action mag. On page 68 you will see FST'S Mickey Dunlap. See what he did to his 660. Talk about power! Also, the Kawasaki now has many after market parts as well. Check out the March 2002 issue of Dirt Wheels on page 78. Mike Penland can get you pipes, exhaust ect.
The Kawasaki probably has more potential, from what the experts say, as to which bike can get more performance benefit from after market parts-due to the V-twin.