Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Raptor owners - advice before u start riding it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Grease the steering bushing. If you don't, you will wear out the bushing and the metal on the steering stem such that your steering will never be tight again.

2. Retorque the nut at the bottom of the steering stem. It will probably come loose on you in the middle of a ride sometime.

3. Replace the bushings in the a-arms with either roller bearing or bronze bushings. If you don't, you will wear out the guides.

4. Take the rear axle out and repack with grease; otherwise, you are looking at premature bearing failure. Yamaha is not known for greasing anything well enough. Top MX riders generally tear new bikes all the way apart and reassemble before riding them for the first time. Unfortunately, you need a good set of wrenches from Motion Pro to retorque the axle nuts.

5. Think about getting rid of the emergency brake switch mechanism. It is prone to failures and can ruin a ride for you especially if you are in the middle of nowhere.

6. Replace the front tires if you ride in rocky terrain. Those 2-ply tires don't cut it at all. Sell them on e-bay while they are still new. If I were getting a new 2002, I would already have my Holeshots prior to picking the quad up and get the dealer to throw the tire change in for free.

7. Buy an extra set of tie-rods. Not sure I would go with stronger ones or not. I think I would rather bend the tie-rod back and crawl back to camp for a replacement than go through the healing process of a messed up wrist. Been there (twice), done that!

8. Buy frame guards before you pick it up. It only takes a couple of rides with boots to wear the paint off the frame.

9. Not sure if the new Raptors are coming lean or not. Get the dealer to adjust the carb.

10. ????

Hopefully, others will add to the list. I know there are more but I can't think of any more right now.

/NotuRaptor

Old 03-08-2002, 07:58 PM
The Facility

Man,....

[1]loose bolts everywhere??

[2]replace a-arm bushings with bearings??

[3]replace the stock front tires with Holeshots??

[4]the paint is prone to rubbing off of the frame??

[5]stock jetting is lean?? Carb. adjustment??

Hmmm.....should have just bought the Cannondale. Plus no paint to rub off.

Just kidding NotuRaptor2. It's a good thing that you guys post what problems you encounter while riding.

I hear you on the loose bolt stuff. And it's just not with Yamaha either. Nor is it the same bolt on every model that will come loose. We try to check over each machine carefully because the OEM's WILL have a mistake on every model that goes out their door. Sometimes you catch them and sometimes you don't.
Good advise on checking over your machine when it's new. It is very possible to find something loose even after Yamaha AND the dealer have went over it.

Old 03-08-2002, 09:25 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I think I am just going to get rid of mine after seeing that. I have never done any of that. I even have to worry about the inside of the transmission. I am afraid to go look at it in fear of something coming off or getting loose.
Being serious now, that is good information.
Chet

Old 03-08-2002, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

Tighten the rear axle nuts. Dont ride it trough the mud and creeks (just joking) That is what the SOBS at the shop told me, when i took it in to have the brakes checked out. Costed me 86$ to have them tell me that.

Old 03-08-2002, 10:14 PM
RIP Dear Friend

fm1972nova,
Don't ride it through the mud and creeks. Does that mean you can't even wash it?
I think I am going to go out and start wrapping heavy duty depends on mine and that should take care of the moisture problem.
Chet

Old 03-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

definatly hit all the grease fitins....all of mine were bone dry...as for the other stuff..im on it like white on rice

Old 03-09-2002, 02:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes but I had to pull my swingarm and insted of the plastic bushings in it I put two new bearings. It sounded like a good idea.
my site

Old 03-09-2002, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

raptoryfm660r, that what the dealer told me was the cause of the axle nuts to come loose. Charge me 86$ to fix it.

Old 03-09-2002, 04:14 AM
RIP Dear Friend

fm1972nova
I can understand them to do that on a 1972 Nova with FM, most came with AM so this must be high optioned Nova. On a new Raptor to stay out of water, I mean when does the poor thing drink. I am confused.
Chet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2002, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

chet, your about as anoying as sienfield

Quick Reply: New Raptor owners - advice before u start riding it!