Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Has anybody else ever hit a deer on a quad? @55mph?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure somebody else has done it, but I have never heard of it around here before, but I hit a deer going 55mph with my Grizz today. I was going like heck down through a haul road, when the first two crossed road, and the third didn't make it. A Blaster was trying to pass me on my left side, and was slightly behind, after I smacked the deer with the front of the Grizz, it's momentum carried it across the road, and he ran over it with the Blaster almost wrecking. To my amazement, nothing serious wrong with my machine, it bent the bumper, but it had been weakened by a previous bend, and popped one rivet on the fender, otherwise no damage. I really can't believe it, wasn't no small deer either, estimate it weighed probably 130lbs. And yes, the animal had to be put down. Sent the Blaster back to the house after my .44 Mag. don't know why I wasn't carrying it, usually do. I sure feel fortunate that no one was hurt, and that no serious damage was done. Anybody else had any experiences with deer?

Old 03-31-2002, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

I hit one about 5 years ago on my snowmobilewas doing 50 or 60 and hit the deer and it slid up my hood into my arms so I caught it and dumped it onto the ground it spun around in a circle a couple of times then took off running. Cracked my hood but that was it. I hit another one there about three years ago just cliped the leg with my ski. Stupid people are feeding the deer in there backyards which is woods 15 feet from the snomo trail so they get spooked when they hear the machines coming I dont snowmobile there anymore because off all of the deer.

Old 03-31-2002, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

Not deer but I do have a friend who creamed a skunk man was that nasty no quad damage but that smell is damage enough, and it takes for ever to go away no matter what you use to get rid of it.

Old 03-31-2002, 10:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

last trip to the dunes, one in our group hit a badger. Pissed that little sucker off. We all stopped 40 feet away and the badger came after us.

Old 03-31-2002, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

i hit a tree hugger once, then backed up and hit him again. there persistant little suckers, LMAO!!!my pictures

Old 04-01-2002, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

my GAWD!!!!! i cant imagine hitting a deer on an ATV!!! i have alot of friends that ride, but i know no one that has....

Ya all are lucky SOB's!!!! and that's that!!! Hope that everyone that would hit one, doesnt get hurt...geeesh

Jonathan

Old 04-01-2002, 02:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I hit a deer going 75-80 on my sled zrt600 and totaled it The person behind me said it flew in the air doing cartwheels and smacked into a tree. We measured it out and from where it crossed or (hit) it flow a 110 yards. I only hurt me knee alittle bit from braking the key off! I was lucky!

Old 04-01-2002, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer

I would say you were lucky, wow. Thing about a sled is it sits lower than my Grizz. I can't imagine if I would have missed the deer, cause my cousin would have nailed it with that Blaster, no telling what would have happened to him. I have seen quite a few Blaster accidents, and they almost always end up with some serious damage. They are good quads, just built so light.

Old 04-01-2002, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

I hit a big dog going wide open on an ATC 250R. It broke my foot bend the footpeg back and went through the chain/sprocket once or twice. Luckely I didn't wreck (almost did) I was able to get it back on three wheels and make it home to go to the hospital.

I drove by later that night to see if I could find the dog. Wow what a horrible sight. I looked like a big plate of spagetti with sauce or the side of the road. My bike was sick too, the chain and sprocket had meat and bone all over it. I felt terrible but it wasn't my fault, it jumped out of the bushes trying to attack me. It was a big dog too, I would say 70-80 lbs. I could tell what kind, it was too mangled.

Old 04-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I was riding home from work a couple nights ago at about 12:30am when I saw 3 deer going across the road ahead of me. I was doing about 65 or so, and locked up all 4 tires. I just missed it, by maybe 2 feet at most. Deer can't be too smart.

Quick Reply: Has anybody else ever hit a deer on a quad? @55mph?