Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

770 POWROLL KIT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading this discussion for a while now and it seems allot of people are
over looking some things that could make a big difference !!
I know kingraptor has the early head mods from trinity with the one large intake
valve. Now they have all three large valves and I'm sure porting is better also. He
doesn't have have the FCR carbs or the air box, he rides all the time so Im sure he
probably has an O-ring chain and some good sprockets!! Plus it has been ridden
hard for 3-4 months.
The Curtis sparks bike was built for this, Its advertisement for them !! So they have
all the big stuff, ( cam, valves, head work, carbs, air box,) and may have non O-ring
chain and light sprockets and other tricks of the trade for every HP. This may not
sound like a bunch but it all adds up to a fare amount.
I'm not saying Curtis Sparks was cheating or doesn't deserve credit, just that I don't
think we are comparing apples to apples. He came prepared for competition. It
would be nice to see Harry build one of his own for this same purpose.
This is just my thoughts on the matter and I had to chose Trinity would be doing my
work, just call them both and you will see why for yourself.

Old 04-18-2002, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are lucky that you have builders lining up to build your motors. The only two we have are booked solid!

Old 04-19-2002, 12:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Mickeydunlop- Why do you feel that yours ,curtis or tc racing build the best motors? Do you all have better equipment, facilities, and better employees? They are not alot of quads around me. Most of the information that i get is off this forum, or the magazines. It looks like it is easier for companys to **** off than satisfy the customers. I have called numerous companys for parts/service. Most do not take the time/care about the caller on the other end of the phone. There appears to be far more Trinity motors running around than all others combined. I wonder why? Could it be they answer the phones,explain,deliver on time? I am 2000 miles away from the fast quads so i am only making a educated guess here. I doubt i will ever see another built raptor. I appreciate all companys coming on here and offer advice/help. This is my only real source of info, because where i live and ride i have the hottest set-up. It was a gamble for me, when i had mine done. Nobody ever does more than pipes/jet kits around here.So i had to rely on advice i recieved from this forum. I am thrilled how it turned out! Micky, how many motors have you built? Do you have any dyno runs to show us? Can you back up yours, curtis or tc's claim of being the best builders? Thanks, Mark

Old 04-19-2002, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

14mins,i tell you what i know about micky.i had a warrior i modded myself.mods included 12.5-1 je piston,alba race cam,springs,wb pipe,and i ported the head,and had the valves ground.after i bought my raptor i sold it and the guy that bought it rode it for a year and blew it up due to a oiling problem.he contacted micky about a stroker bigbore kit and told him what he had and what had been done.micky worked with him to supply him with the parts HE needed to build a 458.and gave him any and all the info he asked for.he didnt tell him send me the motor and ill build it,the head needs to be ported by me,or any of the other crap ive heard from other shops.he give the man what he wanted.i spent over 600.00 with ct racing buying engine parts for my raptor.at the time the raptor was 7 months old and there wasnt alot of places i found to get them.ct racing wouldnt answer any questions i had basicly becuase i wasnt running their pipe and head porting.bottem line ill never buy anything from them again! p.s. micky the warrior flat ripps!

Old 04-19-2002, 05:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having visited Powrolls R&D I have a heap of respect for these guys. Pete took out alot of time to show us around and really explain alot of the things they were up to................. this was last Spetember and the 770 low end was already done, they already had FCR's on various engines and they were eyeing some very serious mods to the head as this was seen as the "restriction" to real H.P................

770 stuff

Kiwi

Old 04-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

King- I think Schollz is running a sparks 690. He was posting a few weeks back. He was having a hard time turning the 13-1 over. I think he reported that all his valves were oversized. I would think his and velocityraptor ( he did most of his own work with sparks parts? I think) would be a little hotter than my trinity "play" quad. I did not check off all the options when i ordered mine. ( higher comp, more oversized valves etc)

King- Are you willing to disclose to the "internet guru's" what changes your "Trinity" 686 has undergone?

Feel free to jump back in Micky! I would really like to know the details.

Old 04-19-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

<< King- I think Schollz is running a sparks 690. He was posting a few weeks back. He was having a hard time turning the 13-1 over. I think he reported that all his valves were oversized. I would think his and velocityraptor ( he did most of his own work with sparks parts? I think) would be a little hotter than my trinity &quot;play&quot; quad. I did not check off all the options when i ordered mine. ( higher comp, more oversized valves etc)

King- Are you willing to disclose to the &quot;internet guru's&quot; what changes your &quot;Trinity&quot; 686 has undergone?

Feel free to jump back in Micky! I would really like to know the details.
>>

14- Yes I did do my own work (Roberts Preformance) with sparks parts.

Old 04-19-2002, 06:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

King what is meant by your statement about Mickey Dunlap not being up to the same level of tuning as others? Am I missing something here?

Old 04-19-2002, 10:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Anybody know anyone running a mickey dunlop motor? A friend of a friend? A brothers cousin? A ex inlaw?

Ward- if you have been on this forum alot, you will see that micky jumps in every once in a while, says something and leaves. He stirs the pot a little than does not back it up.

Old 04-20-2002, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I dont think Mr Dunlap really has to back anything up. If I remember correctly he was building motors for Team Kawasaki. I'm sure Kawi did their homework on builders before selecting him. Now of course I'm making the assumption that the poster here really is Mickey Dunlap and not someone assuming his name. For the record the only big name shop I have had ANY work EVER from is LRD. So dont start in that I'm working for Mr Dunlap or any of that crap. As a matter of fact, I plan to have my Raptor worked over by either Sparks or Trinity as I havent really seen any info on FST's Raptor work. But I wouldnt really start in saying that he cant back up his statements. Heck, I'll donate my Raptor motor to Sparks or FST so they can build (free?) my Raptor just to show you guys how fast they really are! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 770 POWROLL KIT?