Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV Sport Banshee Pipe Shootout (UPDATED)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 09:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my mag for a while....can't believe the results. The highest peak power of all the pipes was only 4-5hp more (PSI in frame). I am assuming the test was with the lid on and snorkle in place as well? Anyone know more about this?

Old 05-17-2002, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure, but I know they mentioned that they were not going for the highest peak power, but rather the best Horespower curve. They said it is not an actual Power shootout.

But I agree with you...only 4hp up top...what gives? God, you look at some of the other pipes and they were under 2hp...Hard to believe judging by the price.

-Josh

Old 05-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I agree Josh. If they were working towards a broader power curve, then they missed the mark. Did you notice that only a few pipes had as much mid range as the stock pipes?
One of those pipes that was below (some as much as 5+ hp) the stock Banshee curve until very top end would get spanked in a drag by a stock Banshee! I wish they would have ran-em without a lid and jetting way UP accordingly. Power would have picked up as well.

PS - We have dyno charts available that proves the Banshee picks up over 4 hp with the snorkle removed and jetted up.

Old 05-17-2002, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I thought I was missing something when I looked at it and saw that in most cases the power curve wasn't all that great, and sometimes even worse. Thanks for clearing that up.

-Josh

Old 05-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Could somebody please post the results of this "shootout". Sounds interesting.

Old 05-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Why don't mags test, the way we modd the machines. Not the way they think we should.

Old 05-17-2002, 01:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<< Could somebody please post the results of this &quot;shootout&quot;. Sounds interesting >>

I will post later....if someone does'nt beat me too it.

<< Why don't mags test, the way we modd the machines. Not the way they think we should >>

Call those pipe manufacturers and 3/4 will give you recommended jetting specs for no LID!!!!
And actually.....we still don't know which pipe is the best for no lid (assuming the lid was on for testing) and jetted up....the pipes that done well in plugged up configuration may not be worth squat when more airflow is introduced. HA!

Old 05-19-2002, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

it says they used a pro flow air set up with no lid as it shows...but all i can say is for example why does a paul turner &quot;mid range &quot; pipe have less mid range than stock?!?!?!??![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2002, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

Gary, what issue of ATV sport is this in? I saw the June issue and didn't see a pipe shootout.?

Old 05-21-2002, 02:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sorry guys....I have'nt been home for a while....I will stop by this evening and get the mag and post tomorrow.
Wyo....to be honest with you, I did'nt pay attention to the issue date. The cover has the Z400 all over it and says ZESTY Z400. It says Banshee pipe shootout and steering stabilizer shootout on it too. The pipe shootout is near the front of the book....and the wording says the only mod was a pro-flo foam filter....so the lid was on (HP #'s way down).

Quick Reply: ATV Sport Banshee Pipe Shootout (UPDATED)