Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cutting on the grizzly plastic, kinda long

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,

since i have purchaced my new grizzly, i have made some minor adjustments to it to try to improve on it slowly.
First, i had to snorkle the belt housing, due to my need to go deep. this required cutting 1 hole in the front between the rack bars, and one hole in the rear fender. soon i will be compleing the snorkling, and will be cutting 1 more hole for the air box.
next, and to my surprise, is all the trimming i have had to do to the fenders and the floor boards. i installed a set of 26 in titan 589 mt on itp alunimum rims. they are the wider rims, couse i wanted to go out as much as up.
i hit a jump doing a slow 30 mph, and got only 3 or 4 ft in the air, only to find out my rear tires are pounding on the rear of the floorboards and fenders. i took off 1 inch of the rear floorboards, and had to cut the rear fenders 1 inch all the way to the top. i did a good job, couse you have to look hard to really see it, but i was surprised to say the least!!!
has anyone else had to do this to there grizzly?
1 other mod that i recommend highly to all grizzly owners is, take a 2 in hole saw and cut 3 holes in the right side, and 2 holes in the left side to the engine panels. i measured it all and it actually looks stock, and good! the ammount of heat it releases is incredible!!! i can actually feel the heat pouring out when she is real hot. i have had no gas boiling, and never any overheating. it is a great fix to a potentable problem. sorry so long, but wanted to share and question these things.

my pictures

Old 05-21-2002, 05:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I took a coping saw and trimmed some off the black fenders. Still hits though, but its not doing any damage. Just a little scraping noise if I come up out of a dip fast or jump real small. This is with 27" Tri-Claws scraping it.

I want that fender extention thing. That looks pretty sweet, and its up high and out of the way. Might keep more of the mud off me too.

Old 05-22-2002, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Andy,
How does the Grizz handle with the Sway-bar removed. Does it feel *more* tippy at high speeds or sloppy?
I like the improvement in the articulation, I am considering pulling mine.

Old 05-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

NHGrizzly -

I pulled the sway bar on my Grizz and crnked up the shock preload all the way at all four corners, and I love it. There is no noticable degradation of ride quality, even at higher speeds. I consider the Grizz to be a little "tipsy" anyway, and I don't think it increased at all. Matter of fact, to me it feels a little better in high speed cornering. The body rolls a little more, but the outside tires don't come off the ground nearly as easily.

-Shawn

Old 05-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Nest,
do you have stock tires on your quad???
J.

Old 05-23-2002, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Hey mich660,

We will have to organize a ride and have you come up here. Just tell me when ya got some time, cause if you come up this way...for trade of showing you a good time...hehe....i wanna have you help me with the snorkle! LOL

As you know, i have a hard time getting on my back or knees to get anything done under the griz. I really want to snorkle the bike now. Another thing that i am going to do, is the stock muffler mod. I now have seen and ridden a griz with this done (and NOTHING else), it was day and night difference. He had 27" dd's on it too. IT would pull the front tires up like nothing. He said it cost about 15$ to do it too! the only thing that he had to buy was a piece of 2" 604ss? for the tail pipe. He drilled 1/2 inch holes in the baffle (around 8 of them) and the sound is a little "throatier" but not really that much louder, which is a major concern for me.

If anyone in my area would like to do this mod, i would be happy to go or have you come here, and do it together. I need the help BUT i can help alot too.

ANY takers?

Jonathan

Thanks

Old 05-23-2002, 06:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not really. You would figure there would be some difference in hard cornering, but not really enough for me to notice real well. In other words, I've never ridden and then thought about it feeling any different.

I put it back on not long ago to check, and the only difference I could tell was that it wasn't as stable in the slow technical stuff. Not any give to the suspension with that thing on, and it felt like a straight axle in the uneven stuff. Taking it off was the best thing I ever did.

Old 05-23-2002, 07:16 AM
Trailblazer

Colt77 -

yea, I still have the stock tires on it. I imagine my impressions would be a little different with some bigger meat under there.

Shawn

Old 05-24-2002, 05:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The best way to make the Grizzly stable is some aftermarket wheels or maybe even spacers. Never had spacers. Seems like they would make it wider than I want. Aftermarket rims are just about perfect though. Better offset than stock, but not so bad that it makes the thing look odd. Really helps the stability in all situations.

Wider is better, like that Pontiac business

Old 05-24-2002, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

frogman,
snorkling was quite easy, much easier than i had origionally thought. that is for the belt system. i have not yet snorkled the intake, or put one way valves on the breather hoses. i also havent tested the snorkle system on it either, witch will come in the beginning of june, heehee. as for the muffler mod??? cani just take a 2 ft long drill, and drill out alot of holes in the muffler, then reinstall the spark arrester? is this a bad idea, or something that would only improve on the bike? i have a 1/4 in drill, bout 18 inchs long, that i can drill the crap out of my muffler with, lol. as for coming up there to help/ ride, if i can ever get the time, i would be there in a flat minute!!!
my after market tires and rims helped with the stability of my quad quite a bit! i just rode my brothers grizzly, and was shocked at how much better mine is in corners, just becouse of the wider rims. i would recommend it highly if you are going to a bigger tire! just be prepared to start cutting away the plastic, lol!

my pictures

Quick Reply: cutting on the grizzly plastic, kinda long