Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee TORS -- the real deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 03:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 03 banshee has TORS.. Ive asked a few different people at the dealer what it is for and have gotten several very interesting (and conflicting) answers.. I have come to the conclusion that its a safety thing to kill the ignition if the carbs are stuck BUT is it also a rev limiter? my brand new stock banshee wont rev to the moon like any other 2 stroke Ive ridden. While im not trying to abuse it, I DO want every bit of performance I can squeeze out of the bike. Especially after I install my fmf gold's this week.

if its not a rev limiter, where is the rev limiter, and does anyone have anything to add about the TORS system? what other reasons there are behind its existance, and benefits/pitfalls, etc.. I was somewhat aggrevated when my yamaha yfz350 service manual had NOTHING to say about it. the manual looks like it was printed in the 80's and seems NOT to be very up to date. Ugh. maybe they could use some help from honda, in the service manual department!

thanks!
mike reeh

Old 09-16-2002, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Here's the real deal on the TPRS:

They are a "safety" mechanism. In the event that one carb slide is up and the other is not it will cut the ignition to a fast idle (or maybe all the way off, I'm not positive). This prevents an over-rev or stuck throttle situation if a slide sticks. Of course, any normal person would kill the ignition if this happens but Yamaha decided they would look after you instead.

The 2 problems with the TORS is that if your carbs get a little out of sync or the mechanisms screw up you will experience hesitations when hitting the throttle (like I did before removing them) or other problems that an otherwise healthy Banshee would not have. The other problem is that they are big and bulky and get in the way when doing carb work.

You can disconnect them easily by disconnecting the plug going to the little black box attached to the frame rail on the left side, under the tank near the front. From there you should also remove the wiring associated with the TORS at the throttle and carb tops.

TORS are NOT a rev limiter. The Banshee and other 2 strokes are rev limited by their pipe and engine design. The Banshee has no rev limiter whatsoever. When you put some pipes on that Banshee it will rev out then - stock it is a little on the tame side.

Have fun with the new toy and get some pipes for that thing.

Old 09-16-2002, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TORS (throttle over ride system)cuts out ignition in the case of stuck open carbs,but as you have discovered,they also slightly restrict the full slide movement,won't open quite all the way with the system in.If you dune or race hard,it will hold you back,and you should remove it with a kit sold by a lot of aftermarket performance outfits.For daily riding and ordinary trail stuff,or if others than you ride it,maybe having a safety system on there isn't such a bad idea.I've only seen the throttle stick once on a Banshee,TORS removed,but the guy didn't maintain his ride,never lubed the throttle cables,and thankfully,he was in a sand bowl when it stuck,so he bailed off the back,(turned his chin guard on his helmet into a plow,filled his helmet with sand,pretty funny)and the quad spiraled down and killed against a sand pile,never even tipped over. So in conclusion,if hi performance is your goal,remove the TORS (you will need to buy a kit),and keep the throttle cables maintained !!

Old 09-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

The above guys are correct. I had to replace mine. I was trying to adjust the idle speed, and the screw on top of the tors boxes are what you use to do that. So, I turned and it would not change. After turning it many turns, the idle began to rev very high and would not come down, I had to shut it off so something did not break.

Anyway, I had to change plans in order to get the kit and still be able to ride that weekend. I have not installed the idle screws yet, but will be doing that in the next couple of days. It is very simple to change out the throttle cables and getting rid of those huge boxes cleans up the bike quite a bit.

bat

Old 09-16-2002, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

A Shee is only rev limited by the amount of air it moves, The stock pipes are your rev limiter right now. put on your new pipes & it'll rev higher, port it & it'll rev higher still, etc, etc.

If you remove your TORS or not add a kill switch, a kill switch saved my Raptor from going swimming in 6' deep water when I flipped it doing a tree shot at the frog pond at Sahara.

At the least it'll save you a long walk to find your quad if you get thrown off & it'll keep it from running over you or someone else too. Kill switches are cheap & easy to install & can save you or someone else a lot of pain & save your quad a lot of damage.

Old 09-21-2002, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

tors is designed for one reason if your thumb throttle is in the idle position and your slides are in an open position it will save your engine from reving in case you wrecked or some reason most common is if your bike is up side down. stock banshee ignition stops producing power at 9250 rpm's it is not a revlimiter just yamahas way of saving them selves from warranty.

Old 09-21-2002, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

Batoutahell- You have way too many toys.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2002, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

<< tors is designed for one reason if your thumb throttle is in the idle position and your slides are in an open position it will save your engine from reving in case you wrecked or some reason most common is if your bike is up side down. stock banshee ignition stops producing power at 9250 rpm's it is not a revlimiter just yamahas way of saving them selves from warranty. >>

Dirtdevil, are you sure about the 9250 RPM thing??? Can you explain further please.

Old 09-22-2002, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Batoutahell

Since you have a lot of toys, what kind of a job do you have since I presume it is legal?..lol

Old 09-22-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I do have too many toys and too much debt also. Anyway, I work in a family business, rental real estate. And I am working on trying to get my brokers license. It will be a couple years to get there, I have to finish some schooling first.

I live in a very modest house, which lets me afford the toys. I have friends that have much nicer homes, but cant afford to buy a quad. I just think having fun is more important.

Later
Bat

Quick Reply: banshee TORS -- the real deal?