Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ready for a new one.. Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2000, 09:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my Polaris 400 Sport last night, and I am ready to buy a new 4x4. I have been posting for a few weeks, and input has been great, but I am still torn between three machines. I am having a hard time chosing between the: Kodiak, Sportsman, or Magnum. What is everyones opinions on these machines. I didn't want to put this in the Polaris archive, because it seems like this forum is not as bias. I know one thing, I hope nobody suggests a Grizzly, because frankly I think the Kodiak is a much better machine. Any thoughts would be great to hear.

Old 04-04-2000, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

I own a '99 Wolverine + '00 Warrior. My dad owns a Grizzly and I ride with a lot of other quads too so I have a pretty good idea what options your looking at here. BUT before I say anything about what quad you should get what do you want it for? You didnt really mention what you want to do with this quad? Post another note telling what you want it for and I will give you my opinion on the matter....Also are you looking new or used? =-) Thanks Glad to help!

'99 Wolverine SuperTrapp pipe, UNI filter, Skidplate, UFO handguards, Custom Jetting

'00 Warrior Skidplate+bumper

Old 04-04-2000, 01:16 PM
Range Rover

FoxRunner,

I am looking for a good utility quad. I like the Sportsman, have a lot of riding time on one. I like the Kodiak, but I only test drove one. I never drove a Magnum. I will be buying this machine, new. I want something to plow, hunt, pull my boat around the yard, and just to have fun on. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-04-2000, 01:29 PM
Range Rover

Before I bought my wolverine I was considering the magnum 500 (I went with the wolverine because I liked the more sport orientated set up)
I would take a magnum 500 over the sportsman though.
The magnum has the same engine as the sportsman but it's lighter (probably faster), has the same 4wd system, and is less expensive.
The independent rear suspension of the sportsman may give a more comfortable ride but it looks like a maintenance headache to me.
The 2000 magnums also have the same EBS (engine braking system)

Keeping in mind that I've never owned a polaris you can take my opinion for what it's worth.

Old 04-04-2000, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Alright well I really apologize if I seem bias but this IS my own experience. Polaris's have never really been that much of an eye catcher to me. A coluple of my neighbors have a Sportsman 500, and a 400. Im not sure about the new Magnums but a friend of mine has an old one. The Polaris make for a nice comfy ride (I call them the old peoples 4-wheelers) Cause they are made so big and heavy that you cant expect a lot of get up and go. They work really hard though. I dont care much for the Auto though. I prefer something that you can shift. My neighbors are constantly putting up with repairs that keep popping up. Maintenance is a REAL pain in the butt. I think we counted the greaserts on the Polaris and came up with like forty some? I guess all around im not very pleased with Polaris at all. I mean they run, work and play. Out of the 3 I think the 4-wheelers your looking as will work hard. But I've had better experiences with Yamaha's. I've even rode their Polaris's and didnt care much for them. They handle strangely, They are torquey when pulling but when it comes to sport or fun riding I would take something else. They are so big it takes them too long to get moving at a good clip. If your looking at having some FUN with this machine in my opinion I say drop the Polaris Idea. I have not yet driven a new Kodiak but I was talking to a friend of mine that helped do my mods on my Wolverine and he said that it was pretty impressive as far as torque, speed, and power. Thats coming from a guy who runs race quads too. Ummm I dunno I spose you could use a Wolverine for anything your talking about also.......As you prolly know its quite a bit more sporty. They CAN work hard. And let me tell you they know how to have some fun! I know what you said about the Grizzly but if you want a WORK machine that thing is a beast. Its alright for fun but a bit too big for my liking. But we have pullled some massive weights with ours......But I think your looking at the right quad.....The Kodiak sounds pretty good. If your looking for some fun in the quad you may wanna try and consider a Wolverine? Or even a 4X4 Big bear? But I dunno I'd say steer away from Polaris. At least due to all the things Ive seen and witnessed on those machines. It could be a coincidence that the 3 4-wheelers they have are all lemons......but I dunno its your decision and cash. I also like some of the Auto's Yamaha is coming out with though too.....They have that Ultramatic thing and it seems to work well. Id give the following ratings to the 4-wheelers your looking at: Magnum: 6 Sportsman:6 Kodiakhavent seen one yet but from the way it sounds) 8 Wolverine:9 (if your looking for a fun quad) Grizzly:9 (only cause it sounds like you want to do some heavy work though) Hope I was helpful. =-) I hope I didnt confuse you further more! Have a nice day!

'99 Wolverine UFO handguards, SuperTrapp pipe, UNI filter, Skid Plate, Custom Jetting

'00 Warrior Skid Plate+Bumper

Old 04-04-2000, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer

i think that the polaris sportsman 500 is awesome, i have a cousin with one and it's great, we once got it stuck in a river that th ewater had drained out of but it was all thick and sinky mud. he put it in 4 wheel drive and he still couldn't get out because the mud had his quad sucked in like a suction cup. he pulled out winch wraped it around the tree, gave ti some gas and was out in no time.
the quad is also fun too, he rides it when his banshee is in the shop and says the in the trails he likes it better than his banshee.

well, hope that helped a little, i would take the polaris sportsman over any other utility.