Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Off-set rims for Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-set rims for Raptor?

Right now I am looking into ways to make my raptor handle better. In stock form it is sweet in the woods, but going fast into turns can sometimes put me up on two wheels. I have thought about wheel spacers but most people agree it will put more stress on the axle and tie rods. Right now I do not want to spend the big bucks for longer axle and A-arms.

I got looking at a catalog and they have ITP T-9 rims with 3+5 or 3+2 as an offset. What does that mean? Can I get new rims that widden my machine and would this be a good way to go? I want different rims anyway so maybe this is good?

03 black and red Raptor
removed stock muffler power plugger.
disarmed reverse limiter.

Old 03-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Those are the exact rims I got on my quad. They do widen it a bit. The +3+2 means that it is a 5 inch wide rim. The center is 3 inches away from the back edge, and 2 inches away from the front edge. I believe the stock rims are +1&1/2, +4, but don't quote me on that. That means that you will get about 1/2 inch wider on each side.

The rears are also wider than stock, I believe 1-2 inches per side. The new rims do make a difference in cornering ability.

You will also notice an improvement if you switch to aftermarket racing tires and/or get more power. Both of these will let you slide more in the corners rather than rolling over like the stock tires want to do. Good Luck!

RR1

Old 03-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

u can also try to take ur stock tires off and reverse them or flip them.. so that they wll be wider i did that to my warrior and it makes a heck of a diff

Old 03-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've been running 1" offset douglas wheels for well over a year now. It made a great difference. Money well spent. The front of my quad is at 47 1/2" now with the XCT tires I run. Thats measuring outside edge of tire to outside edge of tire.

Old 03-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Aside from the width, I feel the tires are the biggest reason why a Raptor is hard to get to slide. My riding buddy tells me that when I am conering hard under power that the stock Dunlops flex so much that the rim starts to cut into the ground. Not real cool. I am running higher then stock tire pressure to help this problem but it only helped some.

Looking into getting Kenda Klaws or Razrs. I like the Razrs but they are junk in sand and snow. I guess I want all season traction if you know what I mean. How do you guys like your Razrs or Klaws? Thanks.

03 black and red Raptor
removed stock muffler power plugger.
disarmed reverse limiter.

Old 03-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

i love my razrs wouldnt trade them for ne thing in the world except mayb some realtors

Old 03-24-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2000IAWarrior
u can also try to take ur stock tires off and reverse them or flip them.. so that they wll be wider i did that to my warrior and it makes a heck of a diff
if you do this, you have to watch your valve stems. I tried flipping the front tires on my raptor and my valve stems rubbed. So I bought off-set ITP rims. They helped a lot.

Old 03-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

what would ur valve stem rub on? idk they might rub in the front i just fliped the reas cuz it was getting a lil tippy

Old 03-25-2003, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

You cannot flip the front wheels without getting recessed valve stems. They will hit the brake rotors or the plastic guards.

I love my Razr 2s! I used to get stuck in the mud all the time with the stock tires, but now I hardly ever get stuck with the Razrs. They have so much better side bite that, even if I get high centered, I can just rock my quad side-to-side and they will find traction and pull me out of the mud hole.

As for snow, I never tried my stock tires in snow, so I don't have a comparison. But I really think the Razrs work a little better in sand than the stockers. JMO. Good luck on whatever you choose!

RR1

Old 03-26-2003, 09:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the stock dunlop radials on the back, and they hook up better than itp's in sand. that is, if you have the air pressure low enough. depends on the condition of the sand too. if the sand gets really soft, the radials do better because of the tread depth and pattern.