Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP!!!! raptor has fallen and can't get up

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! raptor has fallen and can't get up

After recently installing a stageII hot cam, JE12:1 piston, and Kibblewhite spings with about 8hrs of riding/breakin time(bike ran strong) the machine backfired, cutout, and hasn't been able to start since. The battery was dead, I replaced it. the bike turns over but it doesn't seem like it is generating a spark. Also I noticed that as it cranks over ever so slowly and the + terminal on the battery heats up and has melted the rubber gromet covering the terminal. What the hell does that mean?????????? THANKS

Old 03-29-2003, 03:55 AM
Range Rover

It means you shouldn't have done the work in the motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding. who did the work? I you did it maybe you forgot to tighten a wire down or something like it and after you rode it for the break in it worked its way loose. The only thing I can think of. I've thought about having some work done on my raptor I'd have a shop do it for this very reason if it gets f&^%ed up they will eat the cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my .02

Old 03-29-2003, 04:01 AM
Range Rover

It sounds like maybe you have a loose ground somewhere. If it's turning over slowly you may have a timing issue. Just some thoughts.

Shane

Old 03-29-2003, 04:03 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Raptors don't fall or at least I haven seen one do this yet!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2003, 04:09 AM
Range Rover

mine did that and it was because of the ground wire attached to the starter under the black boot. hope this helps
Dom

Old 03-29-2003, 05:39 AM
Pro Rider

worse case senario: good bye one way bearing or timing chain
Best case senario: there is never a best case senario something broke
How do you spell senario anyways

Old 03-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

I'd have a shop do it for this very reason if it gets f&^%ed up they will eat the cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my .02
Nordy, after spending over 10K in various shops (1 national) it isnt that simple. You have to decide between fixing it now or waiting another couple of months without a bike. Even then the broke part might not be what was originally installed by the shop. IE your new high compression piston ran so good it sent your rod through your case or compression killed your starter,timing chain,etc. IMHO unless something MAJOR happens the first couple times out with the new job thats the end of the "warrenty"

Old 03-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you meen, does'nt seem to have spark?Either it does or it does'nt.Did you pull the plug and turn the engine over and check it?Did you try a new plug? How did the engine turn over with the plug out?
When looking for a problem try to narrow things down.An engine needs four basic things to run.
1) compression
2) spark
3) fuel
4) timing

Old 03-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rideraptor420
mine did that and it was because of the ground wire attached to the starter under the black boot. hope this helpsDom
Check this and trace all electrical connections....does'nt "seem" like internal.

Old 03-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies. I didn't do the work myself a Yamaha shop did, but the whole time they were doing the work they seemed shady. I turns over the same way it did the day I got it back from from the Yamashop(with new piston). It just doesn't turn over fast, it's kind of hard to explain. I was told it was because of the compression, but hell I don't know. Thanks for all the replies. I will check the plug, compression(need to buy another F@#@en tool), and do some wire traceing, Thanks for the quick responses. Carl

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! raptor has fallen and can't get up