1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsills78

Another question. Nimadd said in one of his first posts on this thread about changing the spark plug to an ngk or autolite. I bought an autolite yesterday. He mentioned the gap being .0027 or .0028. What does that mean?

Josh
I googled this and figured it out. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My warning about adjusting the mixture wrong could damage your engine came the expensive way with a V6 Mercury Outboard. That’s why I put it in bold.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by nimadd
My warning about adjusting the mixture wrong could damage your engine came the expensive way with a V6 Mercury Outboard. That’s why I put it in bold.
Ok now you have me scared to mess with it.

My dealer is a local service station and I don't trust their knowledge. Hense my reason for being on the here.

The dealer said these don't have oil filters to change. He told me to run it a few days and then change the oil. Is all this info correct?

Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Range Rover

No oil filter is correct, just a screen in the crank case.

Run it a few days on the OEM oil?? I wouldn't. Change the OEM oil with a good 10W40, I used Rotella T you can find it at your local Walmart. What ever oil you put in make sure it DOES NOT say ENERGY CONSERVING (if it says its approved for motorcycles it's good) these quads have a wet clutch and energy conserving additives will make the clutch slip. If I'm not mistaken my book says run 30 hours for brake in and change the oil again. After that the book says oil changes are at 60 hour intervals. I’d bet with a good synthetic you could probably go 100 hours between changes with out a problem.

One of the things MWQ said, and after messing with my sons quad for the past 4 months I firmly believe it, goes something like this. Most Chinese parts only look the part. I've found spark plugs, nylon lock nuts, brake caliper springs and a few other things just don't have the quality that name brand parts have.

These machines can be a lot of fun for you (if you like to tinker) and your kids.

Enjoy and any questions just ask. There’s a great group of people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge.

Nick

Old 02-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

I bought some from autozone yesterday that said for 4-stroke atv. I'll look to see if it says that today.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Range Rover

If it's any consolation, the latest version of the Taotao 110cc square bowl carbs only have an idle speed screw (there's no external mixture adjustment). I wouldn't be surprised if they made it impossible to adjust/replace the metering needle in the carb. The latest (2009+) carb is this one, minus the screw with the blue smudge above it near the inlet.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jsills78
Ok now you have me scared to mess with it.

My dealer is a local service station and I don't trust their knowledge. Hense my reason for being on the here.

The dealer said these don't have oil filters to change. He told me to run it a few days and then change the oil. Is all this info correct?
If you lower the clip (raising the needle) you will only richen the mixture...no way to damage anything...I wouldnt think raising the clip could lean it out enough to hurt anything either...

I would change the oil before even starting the engine... The oil from China cant be that good...

Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by OneTenCC
If it's any consolation, the latest version of the Taotao 110cc square bowl carbs only have an idle speed screw (there's no external mixture adjustment). I wouldn't be surprised if they made it impossible to adjust/replace the metering needle in the carb. The latest (2009+) carb is this one, minus the screw with the blue smudge above it near the inlet.
I wonder why they did away with a fuel screw?

Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Range Rover

It's very common on 2 stroke outboard motors.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
I wonder why they did away with a fuel screw?
All I can figure is it's a cheap way to keep them "emissions compliant". These models also have the tiny catalytic converter and air injection on the exhaust. Mine has a rounded plug in the hole where the fuel screw was on the carb.

Joel

Quick Reply: Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions