1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jsills78
How much oil do I put in?
I use 28 ozs in mine...That puts it at the top of the hash marks on the dip stick.. Does your 110 have a dip stick? If it does have 1, you check the oil level by resting the dip stick in its hole...not screwing it all the way in...I use Valvoline 10wt-40 in my Honda and Chinese 4 strokes.

Last edited by mywifesquad; 02-25-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: more description.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the 2 stroke carbs I've worked on work the same way 4 strokes do. The reason 2 strokes are more sensitive is they deliver the lubrication with the fuel. When they run lean they are also starved for oil. No lubrication more heat melt down.

I don't think you need to adjust the needle on your carb Jsills78 which is why I was trying to stress that the Tao Tao Tech can't really do a diagnostic and you really need to read your spark plug. I'd be willing to bet just going to that Autolite plug will make a noticeable difference. If it reads anything close to good don't touch the needle.

FYI I'm at 30' above sea level. If memory serves me right the clip on my son's quad carb is at the middle slot. I do need to choke to get it started but after that it runs great with very little warm up. Changing the spark plug was the cure for all of his quads running problems.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by nimadd
All the 2 stroke carbs I've worked on work the same way 4 strokes do.

The reason 2 strokes are more sensitive is they deliver the lubrication with the fuel. When they run lean they are also starved for oil. No lubrication more heat melt down.

[/COLOR]
Basically the same, but the mixture screw on a 2 stroke controls fuel while the mixture screw on a 4 stroke controls air...

What about all the 2 strokes that have a injector system? If you jet them lean they will still melt.. You can also lean out a 2 stroke by adding more oil to the mix... and richen a 2 stroke by not adding as much oil.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Range Rover

All good points.

Bottom line don't mess with the mixture until you know how it's burning. Without an expensive exhaust gas analyzer reading the spark plugs is the most effective way to do that.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good points.

Bottom line don't mess with the mixture until you know how it's burning. Without an expensive exhaust gas analyzer reading the spark plugs is the most effective way to do that.
Here is what it looks like on the plugs. The #2 plug had a little oil on the end that I spilled so that is why it looks wet.

I am also including a video of one of my 110's. I have been hearing this rubbing noise since I bought it. I thought that changing the oil would help. But today I changed all the oil in three of mine as well as spark plugs.

YouTube - Tao Tao 110cc motor noise

Attached Thumbnails Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions-plugs.jpg  
Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

I'd be willing to bet just going to that Autolite plug will make a noticeable difference. If it reads anything close to good don't touch the needle.

Changed plugs to Autolite today and the little testing I did it was still bogging out. May test more tomorrow. It's my ex's weekend with the kids so they are here to try.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:00 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

All good points.

Bottom line don't mess with the mixture until you know how it's burning.

Without an expensive exhaust gas analyzer reading the spark plugs is the most effective way to do that
Thanks

What harm could there be from going richer? Foul a plug maybe? Find out the engine does run better? You cant harm any engine parts that Im aware of by trying richer jetting. While I can understand not trying leaner jetting, I dont see any harm in going richer.

I gotta be honest...the only machines Ive ever done a plug reading on are my 2 strokes and my KTM.. I did all the readings to see if my seat of the pants jetting choices were good.. You done a plug reading on your 110?

jsills78, Will it run if you keep the choke on?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Range Rover

Jsills78 those plugs look good how much run time are on them? A little richer couldn’t hurt just like MWQ says. It’ll give you better bottom end torque too. And now you know how your engines are running.

MWQ all the time.

The cap on that carb might be hiding a low speed mixture adjusting needle but like OneTenCC said it's not worth the trouble to find out .... for now.

Attached Thumbnails Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions-p6040033.jpg   Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions-p6040039.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by mywifesquad

jsills78, Will it run if you keep the choke on?
Yes they run fine as long as the kids take off without appling full throttle. If they give them full throttle they will bog out so it doesn't have any real take off power. My son's fushin 110cc has tons of botton end.

Nimadd, the tao's only have two days of running on them. I just got them. Did you listen to the video of the noise one of them is making?

Old 03-01-2010, 04:00 AM
Range Rover

I did but I couldn't make anything of it possibly the clutch. MWQ, OneTenCC what do you guys think?

If you have a stethoscope you could see if you can pin point where the noise is coming from. If you don't have one take a long ratchet extension or screw driver hold one end to your ear and the other to different places on the engine.

Quick Reply: Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions