1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

50cc Chinese Engine won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc Chinese Engine won't start.

Bought this quad. I believe it is a Kazuma Meerkat 50cc or a Redcat or something of that nature, Has the same framework as those do.

Never fiddled with the electric start until now. Before, all we were doing was popping it into first, depressing the throttle and pushing to start it and it runs great! Now its getting cold and i've become to lazy to push it lol. So, i bought a battery for the electric start and no start.

First, i believe the relay may be bad because i had everything hooked up and the starter would turn without the starter button being depressed and with the killswitch on or off it still decides to turn. Yes, i have turned the killswitch off while trying to turn the quad over, just to clarify. The killswitch works also. Bad Switch Assembly possibly?

Second, i have spark and like i mentioned before i can start the quad by pushing it in any gear with the throttle depressed.

I believe i have all the components for the electric start. Battery(obviously), Starter relay, Starter(obviously), Stator/magneto(of course), Ignition coil, CDI Box, Voltage regulator and of course the handlebar assembly with the killswitch, headlight switch, and stater button. Please do correct me if i am missing any key components.

Assuming i have all components;

Could the CDI box be bad, considering i have spark but maybe not enough to fire the engine or am i over-considering there? lol

How about the stator? Possibly bad? Any way to test it?

And a little more information for you..
The stater does engage the motor, it just simply won't start.

I know what some people are going to say here.. "It sounds to me like you need to adjust your valves." I know the proper clearance yada, yada and as much as i appreciate your input, i have absolutely no idea of how to do adjust that or even to check to see if the clearance is correct. If you could elaborate on that, great!

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help anybody may be able to give me.
I'm tight on money as are a lot of people nowadays, so taking it to a repair shop is kind of out of the question lol.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My comments embedded in blue:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy000001
Bought this quad. I believe it is a Kazuma Meerkat 50cc or a Redcat or something of that nature, Has the same framework as those do.

Never fiddled with the electric start until now. Before, all we were doing was popping it into first, depressing the throttle and pushing to start it and it runs great! Now its getting cold and i've become to lazy to push it lol. So, i bought a battery for the electric start and no start.

First, i believe the relay may be bad because i had everything hooked up and the starter would turn without the starter button being depressed and with the killswitch on or off it still decides to turn. Yes, i have turned the killswitch off while trying to turn the quad over, just to clarify. The killswitch works also. Bad Switch Assembly possibly? [The kill switch prevents spark (keeping an engine from starting or running), but has nothing to do with whether the start motor turns or not. On your starter solenoid find the connector that feeds the two small wires going into the solenoid and unplug it. Now when you hook up the battery does the starter motor turn? If so you have a short across the two solenoid screw posts, or the solenoid is bad. If not, then we'll need to use a meter to trace this out. But I don't expect it will be very hard...]

Second, i have spark and like i mentioned before i can start the quad by pushing it in any gear with the throttle depressed.

I believe i have all the components for the electric start. Battery(obviously), Starter relay, Starter(obviously), Stator/magneto(of course), Ignition coil, CDI Box, Voltage regulator and of course the handlebar assembly with the killswitch, headlight switch, and stater button. Please do correct me if i am missing any key components.

Assuming i have all components;

Could the CDI box be bad, considering i have spark but maybe not enough to fire the engine or am i over-considering there? lol [If your engine starts when push starting it, then your entire ignition system is working. The ignition system does not know whether the engine is being turned by a pull rope, kick started, push started, or turned by a starter motor. If one works they will all work,]

How about the stator? Possibly bad? Any way to test it? [Once again the ignition system part of the stator is fine if push starting works. There is another part of the stator that keeps the battery charged through the voltage regulator, but this is another system entirely and completely unrelated to whether the ignition system is working.]

And a little more information for you..
The stater does engage the motor, it just simply won't start. [I'm a little confused here. If the starter runs continuously when you hook up the battery I would think that you would stop there and try to fix that problem first. This is because you can't leave the starter turning continuously whether the quad starts up or not. Am I missing something here?]

I know what some people are going to say here.. "It sounds to me like you need to adjust your valves." I know the proper clearance yada, yada and as much as i appreciate your input, i have absolutely no idea of how to do adjust that or even to check to see if the clearance is correct. If you could elaborate on that, great! [I have some 50cc and 110cc manuals that have valve adjustment procedures in them. They are close enough to show you how to do this. Send me your email address by private message and I can send them to you by return email. Also be sure to search youtube for quad valve adjustment videos. There are lots out there, and you may find that is applicable to your quad. Sometimes a video is more enlightening then a bunch of text with small fuzzy pictures...]

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help anybody may be able to give me.
I'm tight on money as are a lot of people nowadays, so taking it to a repair shop is kind of out of the question lol.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just to clarify the starter goes and cranks the engine, it just doesn't start. The starter does runs continously thus the soleniod being bad correct? I just bypassed the starter button regardless and put a switch and when it starts ill turn it off. Simple right? Its the least of my problems right now.

And sorry about that i meant the starter does engage the motor, just wont fire.

My problem is that the motor will not fire using the starter. My dad seems to think that the valves do not need adjusted because it runs fine after push starting, is he even relatively close? He's an experienced machanic, but for much bigger engines lol.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh and i already have those manuals. I got then from you for a previous problen. Thanks though. Just trying to see if it could be something else besides the valves.

Thanks again

Old 10-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Electrical Expert

Oh and i already have those manuals. I got then from you for a previous problen. Thanks though. Just trying to see if it could be something else besides the valves.

Thanks again
I remember that now. I get so many requests that they sometimes merge into one giant fog .

Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Electrical Expert

Just to clarify the starter goes and cranks the engine, it just doesn't start. The starter does runs continously thus the soleniod being bad correct? I just bypassed the starter button regardless and put a switch and when it starts ill turn it off. Simple right? Its the least of my problems right now.....
I don't know that the solenoid is bad yet. Disconnect the two *small* wires feeding the solenoid (through a connector) as mentioned before. Then see if the starter still turns continuously. If yet then your solenoid is bad *or* you have your starter solenoid screw post lugs shorted together.

Your logic seems a little strange to me. The starter turning continuously is a relatively simple problem. Why not fix it and get it out of the way, so you can concentrate on the tougher problems - with all these little things not getting in the way and confounding the issue? At least that is what I would do...

....My problem is that the motor will not fire using the starter. My dad seems to think that the valves do not need adjusted because it runs fine after push starting, is he even relatively close? He's an experienced machanic, but for much bigger engines lol.
Tight valves on your quad makes an engine hard to start when cold. Once it starts and warms up a little then it is easy to start until it cools all the way back down. That's because valve clearance gets looser at warmer engine temps which allows the valves to completely close making the quad run OK.

A hard to start quad can be made to start up easier if you turn the engine faster. Maybe you are turning the engine faster by push starting it.

So why not just try adjusting the valves? Its easy to do and you need to learn how to do this anyway.

It could be other things also, but do the simple stuff first... Then you have those possibilities out of the way.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi could i get copies of those manuals?
Thanks

Originally Posted by lynnedwards
i remember that now. I get so many requests that they sometimes merge into one giant fog .

Old 11-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by pwint80
Hi could i get copies of those manuals?
Thanks
I sent you a private email...

Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lynn Edwards could I get the manual as well sent to my email tidycoats@yahoo.com we have the 50cc terminator also known as the kazuma meerkat so we can try the above we have the same problem