ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

knee clean-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knee clean-up

I'll have my knee scoped out and cleaned out here in early Dec. and I was wondering if anyone had any re-hab tips that will help reduce pain/swelling and down time
I expect to be riding in two weeks after...
any ideas like sleeping on my head
drinking a gallon of Tang for breakfast

Old 11-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Range Rover
Default knee clean-up

since my dads been thru three knee surgeries, he says the best thing to do is take a bunch of vicoden the first night after surgery, and not take anymore again, so u dont have to live off of vicoden.
then he said dont baby it....the minute the doctor says walk on it, walk on it....
and no he hasnt had 3 knee surgeries cause he didnt baby it.. hes had them because of other dumb things hes done...

Old 11-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default knee clean-up

I can't take Vicadin...I hate that stuff...makes me a useless lump off crud sitting on the couch and drooling all over myself, and once I stop taking it I get a migrane that lasts as long as I took the Vicadin(withdrawls)
For my past few injuries I've been taking Celebrex...now thats good stuff and its NOT a narcotic

Old 11-18-2003, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default knee clean-up

My dad just got out of the VA Hospital last Friday from a double knee replacement.
He was in the hospital for 2 weeks, and still cannot walk without the assistance
of a walker. He was in the OR for 6-7 hrs and about 3 hrs to get out of recovery,
after that he was on pain killers for a day or 2 in his IV and pills every 4 hrs.. He
got 24 staples in 1 knee and 27 in the other which were removed the other day.
He should be on his feet without the aid of a walker in about 3-4 more weeks but
I dont think he'll be doing any long distance walking any time soon..

He knew within a month of when his surgery was scheduled, so his Dr suggested that
he try and work on his upper body strength to help him getting up. Plus he had to get
on his feet within a few days after surgery working on his flexability, thats prob what
helped him out.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default knee clean-up

HOLY GEEEZ...that makes me feel like runing a marathon...I hope your dad gets better quickly. Does he ride with you? What kind of knees did he get? Are they those new bionic looking metal joints or the plastic ones?

Old 11-19-2003, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default knee clean-up

Thanks, Guess thats what 30+ years in the Army will get you....He's ridden a few time,
he's mostly into Bass fishing. He got your basic plastic ones guess thats all the
Veterans Hospital would spring for..

Old 11-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default knee clean-up

Just work on your strength and flexability, I had my meniscus scoped then my acl was replaced 3 months later. I was able to ride at top speed after 4 months, probably after 4 or 5 weeks if I had only had the scope work done.
Remember, the area is traumatized no matter how simple the procedure, do flexability excersises as soo as the doc tells you. While sitting do quad flexes trying to hold the muscle flexed for like 10 second intervals and lots of ice. If you can see if the doc can get you a Polar Care Device. Basically an Igloo Cooler with a modified fish pump that has a pad that covers the knee. You just put ice and water in the cooler and the pump circulates cold water through the pad covering the knee. You can have it icing for up to 5 hours at a time. It's a great pain killer and helps get the swelling down big time.
P.M. Me if you need any more tips.

Old 11-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default knee clean-up

Thats another great idea...I used one of those polar ice things last time my knee exploded and it helped wonders...I'll have to get the doc to prescribe one for me...I think those things are made in my hometown Vista...

Old 11-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default knee clean-up

I've had my knee cleaned out several times.
The best thing for rehab was to pedal my MTN bike every day.
Also my doctor had me walking on it the very next day. If you don't start walking on it right away you may form scar tissue that will require another cleaning in a few more weeks.
Also if vicodin is not good for you tell your doctor. I used percocet instead of vic. It's much better.
You will need pain killer after your surgery. Don't try and go without it!! I did and I've never felt that much pain as when my anestishia wore off.
Good luck with your surgery. Most people are back to 100% with in a month on scopes.

Old 11-21-2003, 02:53 PM
KGB
Pro Rider
Default knee clean-up

I havehad both knees "cleaned up" once, and a few ligiment repairs on both too.
The clean ups are easy. the repairs are not.
Do you mean cartilige? How much do you expect to lose? I have lost over 10% in both knees, it aint so bad.
I walked out of the hospital both times they did mine, I played a football game 2 weeks from the day I had surgery.
Swimming is good for a week or so, then just go at it.