Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Honda Rancher ES 4x4 or Big Bear 400?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rancher ES 4x4 or Big Bear 400?

I'm wanting to purchase a new ATV within the next few days. I have not been able to make my mind up because there are negatives about both ATV's that I have been researching.

I currently own an old Honda Fourtrax 300 and I use it for trail riding and work around the house. I'm wanting to get something new.

I've been leaning towards the Rancher. I'm wondering about the ES on it. Is it really that big of a problem? I do not know how to work on ATV's so I'm looking for something that will not cost me a bunch of money for repairs in the future. I also do not want to invest a large amount of money in my purchase.

If possible, can someone please list the pros and cons for both?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

both of your choices are very good mechines. if you get the rancher, i would not get the es version, i dont think they are a problem; but i would just get the foot shift, less hassel.

the new rancher 420 4x4 is an exelent hondad mechine. pull lever 4x4, trax-lock front diff (i think its tork sensative), all new designed engine with EFI fuel injection. the EFI means no choke and no adjustments needed. plus it is cheeper than a big bear. the standard is a straight axle, but you can get it in an auto/es version with IRS (independant reas suspention).sporiter, but also good for work

now the big bear 400 is also a good mechine. it push button 4x4 with a push button diff lock. its IRS, still has a carb. less powerful, more expensive, but comes standard with agressive mudlight tires. big bear is only in foot shift. its geared low for mainly work, with slower trail rideing. if you wana go fast, like over 45-50 dont get the big bear;its not designed for speed. in 07, when they introduced the IRS, the had a BIG problem with the rear diffs leaking. they supposidly fixed this, but there have been posts about later 08's with this problem [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

between the two i would get the rancher, and as soon as i have the $'s there will be one sitting in my garrage! i hope this helps you in oyur decision

Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I am a Yamaha guy but I also like Hondas and agree with cherokee99 that both are great machines but if you are looking to buy new I like the all new Honda Rancher A/T It also has IRS allong with a all new dual clutch tranny that I think is pretty trick, not to mention EFI which IMO is worth it weight in gold. Both machines are bulit proof. HP on the Honda is 26.2 and the Yamaha is 23.0 take your pick but if it was a every day machine I would say go with the Honda but if you want a hard core 4x4 go with the Big Bear!
http://www.powersportsnetwork....2&vehicle2=87161&go=Go

Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

In my opion the honda rancher is the machine you want, but I'd get the manual foot ****. I.ve never had any trouble with mine. The recon my daughter rides is the es model. With very low hours and from time to time it will give her trouble shifting. She has to stop and play with it before going on. Not always just once in awail. The manual shift never gives me any trouble , and thru the years I've worked the bleep out of it. I have the 07 420 FM FI model. I'm not sure about the 09 autos. And for work i like the solid rear diff over the IR diff. Now for trail riding I like my 09 550 grizzly.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,
Thanks for all of the input [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Do you think I should purchase an '08Rancher or wait a couple of months and purchase the '09 Rancer? What are the differences?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,
Thanks for all of the input [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Do you think I should purchase an '08Rancher or wait a couple of months and purchase the '09 Rancer? What are the differences?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Rancher 420 is a superb little machine! My older Rancher 350 is great as well (if you are buying used). I can highly recommend either one, and coming off of a Honda 300 I think you know what I mean.....

There will be no difference between the 07-09 Racher 420's. However, there is a new Rancher 420AT, which has IRS and an new totally unique automatic transmission, but it also costs an extra $1,000. Probably best to have SRA on a work machine anyway.

As for ES, there are constantly posts in here of folks having issues with them. If one loves the idea of ES, then go ahead and get it. If you don't love the idea, well that is just one less thing to ever go wrong, and you will save yourself $200 as well.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Are there any cosmetic differences between the ES and the manual gear shifting Rancher?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

dont get es the person i went hunting with last weekend had an es and it broke so he had to drive the dully truck back there and it was loud..

his was in 2nd and he couldnt get it into 1st then to neutrol to start it

Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

the difference berween the es model and footshift is the es model has a digital odometer speedometer hour gauge pod the footshift has nothing. i have the es model for that reason. so far no problems, but i have greased the wiring every 6 months.

Quick Reply: Honda Rancher ES 4x4 or Big Bear 400?