Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for help on buying mid size utility

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help on buying mid size utility

I need some help, opinions, views or even stories on quads. I am looking to buy a quad in the near future. I am looking at buying new and have narrowed it down to a few.

First of all, the reason for the quad is to cut trails, run over brush, pull out trees, and have a lot of fun doing it. I don’t have a preference on auto or manual, except whatever is more reliable. I might want to pull a trailer with gear (chain saws, brush cutters, camping stuff) depending on the grief factor.

Honda Fourtrax TRX350 4X4 is on the list because everyone likes them. Ok, a little higher price, five gears only, and I think to many electronic things to break. Artic Cat 300, because a more mechanical machine, hi and low gears, but no diff lock on the front, and lower cc. Last Kawasaki KVF 360 4X4, more mechanical then electronic, has diff lock on the front, and rear sealed brake?. But I don’t hear much about them.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-01-2003, 10:24 PM
RIP Dear Friend

The Honda Fourtrax TRX350 4X4 would do what you are asking. I would go with the shift model for less potential problems.

I use a 1998 TRX300 4x4 to pull a 50 inch bushhog to cut trails and to mow with so I know the new Rancher 350 4x4 would do it.

For my next purchase I will either purchase the Rancher or bump up to the Forman 450S for added power.

Chet

Old 04-02-2003, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Scal, Take a look at the Suzuki eiger. Atv action mag did a shoot out on the mid size atv's. I think it was in the March issue. The eiger won the shoot out. I have a suzuki ozark and a suzuki vinson 5 speed they are both really good guads. If you buy one you will like it.

Old 04-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

i would look at the eiger also, dual shocks, nice looks, and they out do the honda 450, my friend has a honda 450S, and his uncle owns an eiger, everything the 450 done the eiger done better, but if you arent worried about comfort go with the kawi, its got a locker

Old 04-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda Rancher.......it is a good basic machine that you can learn on(this is coming from a Polaris fanatic)and when you are ready to trade then go with the higher maintanence machines.Hondas are know for their low mantanence.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

I have a Eiger and its been a great basic quad, In/Out 4wd for sliding the rearend around if you like,Low and High Range for Maximum pulling power, and its a good mudding machine also for a Straight axle it can get through alot of muck.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

'04 polaris sportsman 500 ho.

Old 04-04-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

I was looking for a quad last spring for pretty much the same reasons - mantenance of a hardwood forest, clearing trails, dragging big heavy trees, etc... got an Arctic Cat 500i, for the manual trans, ground clearance, pulling power, lack of unnecessary electronics, and because it just looked stout and well built. It worked out well, the big Cat will drag a pretty big tree, but is still lots of fun on a fast trail. One year, almost 600 miles, and so far no problems at all. Some other things I've learned:

May as well buy it new. Prices on used quads are very high, especially considering the abuse a quad can be put to.

Finding a good dealer is critical. I've been back to buy accessories: winch, trailer for hauling firewood, chain saw press, etc... and got a good discount as a regular customer.

IRS is very nice if you cross rough ground. Rides nicer, and especially in the case of the Cat, does a better job of keeping all four on the ground.

Outside of mud riding, a locker isn't that useful. I've never needed it, and I cross some pretty rough ground. A winch turned out to be far more useful.

If you carry a chain saw, get the saw rack mount - Koplin makes a nice (but expensive) one. It'll save you from tearing up your seat and/or rear rack.