CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Which nitrous to get????

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which nitrous to get????

What HP are you running on that system? It may not make a huge difference on the manometer - but I always follow the instructions. As far as the difference between the two, there may not be any.

As far as running rich or lean, ultamately, the manometer wont tell you that. I view the manometer as a starting point and a way to visualize the pressure back to the carb. It is usefull when things are wack, and you want to know why.

If you dont have an A/F meter, I always trust my ear. With any system, after I have tuned to the manual, I will make a run when I know its a tad bit rich. Then micro tune that bog out just until its gone. Its always better to start on the rich end and work your way until the balance between fuel and nitrous has no bog. On the Boondocker system, you would use the micro adjustment on the manifold for that.

I ran the Boondocker with success most of the time. To do that, I got used to using the manometer in the morning to do a quick view of the pressure, and then in the heat of noon. What I learned from that system is that Nitrous likes larger bottles than what I had. Using 20oz bottles- especially dark colored ones that soak up sunlight - is not as good as using larger bottles - say 2.5lb to 3lb. Larger bottles hold the temperature of the nitrous better, thus your tuning swings will be less noticable. Large changes in elevation can change things for that system. Again, having a manometer to understand whats going on is a big help. Then its just a matter of what do to to tune it better for that particular ride.

Also one thing to keep in mind for all systems is Nitrous Transition. When the nitrous gets too warm, it will transition to a vapor. If you have tuned it for liquid (which is the best way) then the pressure of the bottle will skyrocket, and the nitrous will thin. That will really skew the results of the manometer - you can go from 2.5 to 8.5 on the manometer pretty quick. Because the bottle is overpressurizing the carbs, and the nitrous is thin, this will result in a rich condition. The mistake that many people make is then they attempt to retune back to 2.5. Thats simply not enough fuel for that pressure, even when the nitrous is thin - that results in a lean condition.

To avoid this, bottles should be good thicker aluminum and sized at least to 2.5lbs. Keep a spare bottle in a cooler in case you have this issue so you can switch out and get back to normal.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

i have a 25 shot in it rite now, this is on my 1st 730 bb. i have not had any problems yet, knock on wood. it just has me a little concerned, after the wreck i fixed the bike and pushed it way up in the corner and shoved crap in front of it so i did not have to see it.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2BIG2BFAST
i have a 25 shot in it rite now, this is on my 1st 730 bb. i have not had any problems yet, knock on wood. it just has me a little concerned, after the wreck i fixed the bike and pushed it way up in the corner and shoved crap in front of it so i did not have to see it.

2Big,

If you havent noticed any lean pops or rich bogs, then you should be fine. Larger motors take nitrous better and are more forgiving when it comes to the range of tunability between too rich and too lean. Things that narrow that range are higher compression pistons, advanced ignition timing, and lower octane. So, if you have natural swings in that system, you want the swings to be still in the range of tunablity between too rich and too lean. Its sounds to me like you are fine.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

First and Foremost...

Mark, please don't take offense. I meant NOTHING by the sales thing. My point was only show that new things come along and with technology comes better stuff. I look at the BOSS the same way. Nother words, the Mitsubishi is still a good tv but the Pioneer is state of the art. Feel me?

2Big. Mark is right on with his post and reply to you. With the 25 shot (5 hole), you should have about 2.5inches on the manometer. That's the starting point. If I were you I'd try leaning the fine adjustment a tad. And yes, you are supposed to check the manometer at idle. A quick burst is all you need. Make sure you have your glasses on though. The clear water is hard to see.

Also, just as a little trick. Mark, you might already know this one. I pre mix a little blue food coloring in a bottle of water before I go to the dunes. This is my Manometer water. MUCH easier to see and it works like a champ!

Old 05-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

BigDaddy331

Its all good. No offence taken.