CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

finaly going to buy two new can ams

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finaly going to buy two new can ams

ok i finaly got ready two buy to new quads

This had been a year long run more due to the cash need then finding out what i wanted

it did not take long i looked online for two days
before i came to the fact i wanted can ams
i went to the dealer then
i do not like the red green or yellow so i wanted camo plus i hunt

Then the guy shows me a book with the LTD in it
it took a week then i was sold on the ltd

SO i plan to buy a 2008 can am LTD god what a nice quad
A 2008 renegade X another great quad

A few questions are there any tips to rideing the two quad that are diff fromthe older quad
this will be my first time on a a can am and anything newer the 1998

Two what should i except to pay for insurance for both with collistion uninsured moteritst and theft and liablity

I found out last week that i can legaly ride them on the county and city roads as long as i have a dln which i do

Any tips and trick let me know

i think i am looking at around 23000 total and the dealer said he would get me a good price so where see

He had a guy drive 300 miles to buy the same set up i will buy so i think it will be a good deal

Old 04-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

another big question what is the breck in period for the can am 800s

how long should i baby it and how often should i change the oil at the start of use
both quads will be new out of the crate

Old 04-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break in procedure will be in your book but the basics are a ten hour break-in period. There's a recommended dealer service at ten hours, but it's fairly pricey. Main things are no full throttle (recommended 3/4 max), change oil, go easy on the belt for the first 30 miles, same with brakes.

Insurance - Full coverage on my 800XT runs me $146 per year.

Tips:

1. If you haven't ridden a quad newer than a '98 model then get ready for a thrill. These are a whole different class of machines from what the best that was available then. Power, handling, ease of use are all amazing.
2. Hold on tight. You have picked two of the fastest quads available on the market today. In a flat out drag race, these things will dust most sport quads. I would give you first hand information about the top speed of my 800, but frankly I'm not man enough to find out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
3. While the brakes on the Can-Am's work very well, they make a horrible noise, much like grinding gears on a straight shift vehicle. It will go away in time or can be helped by switching to EBC or other aftermarket pads.
4. You'll love the camo color. Just hose it off and it looks great. I never seriously considered camo and certainly wasn't about to pay a $300 premimum to get it. But I wound up with one and love it. From now on all my bikes will be camo. (Oops - did you get camo or want to get camo?)
5. One thing with all that power - it's easy to overpower the suspension. One of the more popular mods for those who like to travel fast with their Can-Ams is aftermarket shocks.

Enjoy, you're in for a fine ride.

Jaybee

Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

Here is a link about breaking in a new motor.read the part about breakin period, a motor is a motor. http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

Old 04-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Range Rover

the limited is AWESOME. It is by far the coolest looking of all of them. the gun metal grey plastic is very high brow. If I were going to swap out my 650 I would get the limited. but 650 is enough cc's for both my riding style and my wallet.

Take it easy on these bikes the first time out. They are EXTREAMLY powerful. and it will be tempting to open them up and see what they can do. 2 reasons you shouldn't First. let the engine break in for at least a few hours before opening it up. I didn;t open mine up until after the 10 hours.
2nd reason. SAFETY. get to know how the bike handles and corners before you use full power. sounds to me like your previous quads proably didn;t have half the power these have. I am sure you are an experienced rider but the power of these bikes is really staggering so take yer time and learn them before giving them the juice.

post pics of the Ltd when you get it. it is sooo sweet.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Range Rover

Also, make sure you get skid plates, either dealer installed or aftermarket. it dosn;t matter. But you'll regret it if you don't. and for the money you are investing in these bikes for a few hundred more it just makes sense.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Do NOT baby the motor for 10 hours. Drive it like you stole it. This is not the 60's or 70's, technology and mindsets have come a long way on breakin periods. 10 hours for the oil change and valve check is still the norm but drive it hard, or atleast like you will be riding it to get optimum results.
23K, DAMN!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer

thanks guys i will post some pics
it is alot of money but i think worth it for what i will get

I plan to take it easy for some time to get use to the quad and break it in good

i plan to buy skid plate might have to wait a month but i will not be riding hard trail untill then any way

what sucks is i must wait 4 to 6 weeks to get the ltd after i go next week and drop a deposit

the biggest quad i have rode is a 450 so i think this will be a huge upgrade

Old 04-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Heck, yeah, these forums are useless without pictures. Show-and-tell is better than yakkety-yak any day!!!