CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tm 45mm set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 02:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tm 45mm set-up?

ok i put on the tm 45mm first question is i used the stock cable, and i must have done something wrong because it was pretty easy, and that doesn't seem right with them offering the seperate cable, all i did is remove the hex 1 inch spacer and use this fitting for the end of the black cable and then the stock catch fit right into the 45, so is there a trick or problem that i didn't see?
the next thing is when i get on the trottle it has a good hesatation and you could kill it if you don't back off. woods said to not give it gas as fast, that is hard for me to live with is that how it goes for everyone else? well i will do a search and see if there is a answer. seems it is kensds that explained a lot on the 45 not to long ago.

Old 03-19-2003, 04:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default tm 45mm set-up?

The ball on the end of the stock cable is smaller than required for the TM, and all a guy needs to do is make it bigger, like you did. The stock cable is much higher quality than the cable you get from RW - I sent mine back and altered my stocker too.

You can tune your carb to be much better on response - its principals and function are the same as any flatslide. Tune the pilot circuit, tweek the needle, and dial in the main. Do all this prior to screwing with the accelerator.

Just for an fyi, I'm at a 50 pilot, #95 needle (richest needle for tm45) 5th groove, 155 main. Going up on the pilot and needle dramatically helped throttle response. When I got the carb it had the 96 needle, 3rd groove, 40 pilot. Way too flat. Not sure if I'm perfect yet, but really close.
I haven't screwed with the accelerator yet, gotta make sure I'm happy with the rest first - any hesitation that may be left when I'm done can be smoothed out with the pump. Using the accelerator pump requires a heavier throttle return spring - I had to order it from Woods.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default tm 45mm set-up?

thanks hightower , that brass looking retainer that the cable hooks into , mine fit perfectly into the 45, but other than that it all looks fine. and the throttle pull is sweet, makes me feel for the guys that don't know. the first thing i noticed the thing seems to rev much quicker[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i will work out the stumble, which would get old but i think it just needs to be worked. well i may just copy yours since there real close to the same.

Old 03-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default tm 45mm set-up?

hey, wait a minute - are you saying that stock carb has a brass deal that is removable and allows the stock cable to connect to the tm45 without modification to the ball on the cabel end?! If so, I never noticed it, and I spent time on a lathe to make a copper adapter for this purpose, and I made one for Bigwaynster too!! Damn the luck, can't believe I overlooked that!! Oh well, at least I was on the clock when I made them!

Old 03-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default tm 45mm set-up?

mine did i told gary at tvi about it and he said i must have a different one, he actually gave me one but the one out of my stock carb fit perfect so why change. i can tell this thing revs a lot quicker already. well as i get this thing back together i'll be getting carb set-up from you. thanks for the help.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default tm 45mm set-up?

how do you tune the pilot circuit, tweak the needle, and dial in the main. i know nothing about this carb.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default tm 45mm set-up?

wow this goes back a few years. woods has info on tuning that will help get you in the area of close then start on here to get the little areas pulled the rest of the way in. hightower is the one to help you the most or the bom has the help you want pm them.