Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Mail order ATV on it's way..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bwhahaa! I think they actually put more attention to detail in the shipping frame than they did the ATV! I cant break it apart!! When some of you guys mentioned "junk". The only thing you forgot was to put "genuine" in front of it. Nahh.. it's not that bad. It's pretty much what I expected for $650, 'cept they sent me the $640 one (cheaper front bumper). The structural welds actually look pretty good. Non-structural like bird poop. The steering knuckles are a different design and not like the ones pictured on the site. These look good. They are cast and look sturdy. The A-arms are gusseted well, and the engine looks good. One totally ridiculous thing is; The ONLY way to get access to the engine oil dipstick is to remove the right side foot-well which takes 8 nut/bolts. I suppose it's 'safer' this way since it seals off the hot engine from your kids. Another crazy thing is; The carb bowl vent hose terminates into something that looks just like a fuel filter, except the open end is plugged off?!?! I snipped off the sealed end w/ pliers. Otherwise there'd be NO WAY for the carb bowl to vent. There is also no fuel shut-off valve or a fuel filter on it. In fact it's only about 6" of fuel line between the tank and the carb. Very little room in there. Oh.. and a WHOLE mess of wiring. It's got the two headlamps on the body and one on the handlebar. I'll snap some photos in the next day or 3..

Joel

Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Geoff_NJ
I'm impressed with the shipping frame. You should reconfigure it into a trailer for the quad...lol.

Funny you should mention that....all of the quads and karts Ive bought all came in the same crates.

My grandpa was looking for something to haul his tiller in down to the garden. We rigged one of these up so he could hook it to his three point on his tractor and load stuff onto it.

Works great....kinda like a little trailer but no need for wheels.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Range Rover

Some pics as assembled. Note how the right side footwell has to be completely removed to check/add/change oil and the "California" emissions package.
Name:  006-2.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  101.5 KB
Name:  005-2.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  90.4 KB
Name:  009.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  108.4 KB
Name:  007.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  100.5 KB

Joel

Old 01-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Id take a hole saw and cut me an access hole in that ****.....thats ridiculous.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by aaronrkelly
I'll have to do just that eventually. Being cold out, I really don't want to mess with the plastics too much. I've already put a small crack in the corner of the left side foot well. So far it looks like a decent kids machine for the money, but gross oversights like NO access to the engine oil is ridiculous. No wonder why they don't show you how to access or do anything in the 'manual' that comes with it. I haven't even put gas in it yet since I want to put a fuel filter and shut-off between the tank and carb. Only challenge there will be the short length I'm dealing w/ and the fact you need to allow gravity to feed the bowl.

Joel

Old 01-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi OneTenCC I got the Tao Tao ATA 110-B. So far this thing has been a lot of fun; for him riding and for me fixing. I am a tinkerer at hart so it's all good. Here's what we've seen so far.

First there is a screen in the fuel tank so I guess Tao Tao figgures you don't need a filter. I put one on anyway. Got it from Wally World's boat department, the glass one with replaceable element. That way you have an inspection point for trash and water. I've been using them on outboard motors for years. You might as well get some fuel line since that little peace between the tank and carb isn't long enough to mount the filter without putting a kink in the hose. I zip tied the filter to the frame with the inlet at the bottom so it would work as kind of a water seperator. As long as it's below the carb it should siphon good. I did have to prime it but have been running it for weeks now with no problems.

BTW heed the advise on the Lock-Tite even the nylock nuts. As Mywifesquade says chinese components only look the part. Yesterday when I pushed the quad out of the garage for the kid to ride I found a stud on the floor where the quad was sitting. I didn't have to look hard to find one of the exhaust studs missing. A little High-Temp Lock-Tite and an hour latter he was riding.

So far theirs only been two brain teaser this thing has thrown me.

First just after break in it would run fine until warmed up then the it just wouldn't idle. If you stayed on the gas it ran good but if you let it drop to an idle it would stall. I tried playing with the idle and plug gap; I pulled and cleaned the carb; nothing worked. MWQ suggested replacing the plug with an name brand. I put in an Auto-lite and wa-la she idles no problem.

Second a couple of weeks ago the rear inside brake pad just falls out. With some help from Sawyer I figured out the spring plate that holds the pad in place wasn't bent right, it wasn't siting in the caliper snug. I rebent it, put fresh pads in and have had no problem from it since.

So far this thing has amazed me at what it can go through. Nothing major since it doesn't have much ground clearance or the weight to plow its way through stuff but a couple of inches of snow or mud don't seem to be a problem. I'd bet with some knobbies it could do even better but I think he'll out grow it before he wares the stock tiers out so I don't think we'll be finden out.

Anyway sorry for being so long winded I just thought I'd pass on my experiences. It seems to me your taken this quad with the right frame of mind fun for the kid and tinker. Here's some pics of the filter.

Enjoy

Nick

Attached Thumbnails Mail order ATV on it's way..-p4240007.jpg   Mail order ATV on it's way..-p4240008.jpg  
Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys make sure the engine bolts that mount it to the frame are tight. Thats the one major problem I had on my 110 quad right from new. The engine would get loose in the frame and wreck the mounting holes. It drove me nuts till fixed it good one day! No now more problems years later. Not sure how they mounted in those frames on these new ones, it may not even be an issue on them.

My 110 though is made different, alot bigger in size compared to that little one.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Range Rover

Good stuff Nick, thanks! You have to love Wally-world's automotive, outdoor and marine isles for this stuff. I rarely can walk out of there w/ out buying oil, filters and automotive stuff. I'm hoping to have the room to zip-tie a plastic shut-off valve along with an inline filter in there. I'll get at that this week. I did blue Loctite some of the nuts/bolts so far- the ones I had to touch for assembly. If it would stay above freezing for a while, I'll go at it again.

Joel

Old 01-18-2010, 08:28 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by OneTenCC
Some pics as assembled. Note how the right side footwell has to be completely removed to check/add/change oil and the "California" emissions package.

Joel
Originally Posted by aaronrkelly
I agree on both points...cut a hole and thats ridiculous!!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

Yep. I hear you. Only issue is, the engine oil fill cap is in a spot such that I'd have to blow through the left inside lower corner of the foot-well. I'm thinking that's just going to weaken the hell out of the already crappy plastic!?!?

Joel

Quick Reply: Mail order ATV on it's way..