General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

need help picking a couple of atvs

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help picking a couple of atvs

Hello all
Ok here is the deal I would like some help with picks for new atvs for me and my wife. Here is what I'm looking at. First me. I'm in my 40s and I'm 6'1" I weigh in at 220. I'm looking for a 4WD atv. I use to ride a 300 Bayou 2WD that I liked. I'm will be riding trails and using it for deer hunting mostly. I may also want to take it in the mud some. I prefer to change my own gears but may also be open to an auto. I have been out looking some and think I may go with a Yamaha Big Bear 400 or Grizzly 450. Doe you all think these would be good picks and wonder how they stack up with each other? Here is what I think is most important to me. 1. reliability 2.low end power and the ability to get throu some rough stuff. 3 comfort.

Ok now for the wife we are thinking the Grizzly 350 auto 2WD. She will mostly be with me on old log rodes and trails nothing rough at all. What is important to her is 1. it must be auto. 2.reliability 3.easy to ride and control and comfort. Yea I guess we are looking for old gezzer type rides

One other thing when did 4 wheels get so big? Back when I had the 300 a 400 was big and any thing bigger was just too much. Thanks so much for the help and sorry about this being kind of long.
Cruzin_papa

Old 04-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

The kodiak 450 IRS is very comfortable riding, it's like riding a caddy off road. Try to look for a left over as you will save money on vs buying an 09. Sometimes you can find really great deals! Maybe you want to consider the 4wd for the wife, as you never know if she would come into a jam and need it. I personally prefer the automatics vs shifting i had one a buddy who had a big bear 400 non auto and my kodiak 450 had alot more power taking off and all around the board in performance. Grant it one is a 400 and the other was a 450, but the power difference in auto was very noticeable. It's also a great size for draggin bucks out of the woods, unless your into moose hunting go with a bigger ATV.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Cruzin_papa, you can't really go wrong in the 400-500 class. All the machines are great and very reliable. Each of them however have a slightly different feel and a few different features.

Pricing will go something like this, Can-Am will make you broke, Polaris and Honda are going to be moderately expensive, the rest (Yamaha, Suzuki, AC, Kawi) should be a little more average.

If you want IRS, which is a must if you're looking for comfort, and you want to shift, this drastically limits your options, as most of the wheelers have autos now. I'd have to verify, but the only ones I can think of that meet that criteria are the Big Bear, AC 500, and I'm not sure if you can foot shift it, but I believe there's an electronic shift Rancher w/ IRS.

Before you decide you want to shift, have you asked yourself if you're just being stubborn, or do you you really enjoy shifting?? I know I started riding on my automatic 90cc kids wheeler, then went to a 5-speed, auto clutch Ozark, and decided I would always have a foot shift four wheeler. Well, then my dad got the Outlander and I realized I would never shift a utility ATV again. Its nice, it works great, and its just so easy!

A few other things to look into are the features you want. Some of the ATVs have power steering now a days. I believe Kawasaki and AC are the only ones who don't offer a power steering model in this class. Also, these ATVs have different types of 4x4 selection/ operation. For example, Polaris has 2x4 and AWD. In AWD, the ATV remains in 2x4 until it senses the rear wheels slip and in a fraction of a second, engages full-lock 4x4. Can-Am and I believe Honda have 2x4 and 4x4 modes where 4x4 senses front wheel slip and engages the front-diff lock automatically. The others have similar systems where you select 2x4 or 4x4, then when you're in 4x4 you can lock the front diff if you want.

So do a little research and think about what kind of features you want/ need/ can afford, and see what you come up with.

Also, for your wife, take a look at the Polaris Sportsman 300/400 (the old Hawkeyes). We have one in 2x4 and its the most affordable ATV with IRS. Its an excellent trail machine and VERY user friendly. We got out 2x4 model as a previous model year deal, and payed around $3K!

Hope this helps!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Pro Rider

"Here is what I think is most important to me. 1. reliability 2.low end power and the ability to get throu some rough stuff. 3 comfort."

Honda Foreman? Reliable, good torque(not a speed demon), Great 4wd system, proven solid rear axle design used for years, and power steering.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the helps guys. I'm still on the fence about what to get. Have the auto systems realy got so good that they are as reliabile as gear changers? Is there any advantage to having an auto? Think I'll go to the dealers today and test drive both and see what I like better. I have got so use to riding my Harley I hope I don't wind it up in first and grab the left side brake lever thinking it a clutch.lol Thanks again

Old 04-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by cruzin_papa
Thanks for the helps guys. I'm still on the fence about what to get. Have the auto systems realy got so good that they are as reliabile as gear changers? Is there any advantage to having an auto? Think I'll go to the dealers today and test drive both and see what I like better. I have got so use to riding my Harley I hope I don't wind it up in first and grab the left side brake lever thinking it a clutch.lol Thanks again
Auto systems are just as reliable these days and if something were to go wrong, they're going to be much easier to service. And don't be worried about having to do belt jobs all the time, we have over 4000 miles on our 2005 Outlander and we're still running the original belt!

The main advantage is trail convenience. You're always in the perfect gear for going where you want and you can focus more on the ride. You won't get the full affect just cruising through a parking lot, so try to think about it on the the trails.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by mbogosia
"Here is what I think is most important to me. 1. reliability 2.low end power and the ability to get throu some rough stuff. 3 comfort."

Honda Foreman? Reliable, good torque(not a speed demon), Great 4wd system, proven solid rear axle design used for years, and power steering.
Great 4wd system? Honda is the only company keeping aftermarket "diff lock add on company's" in business. 4 wheels pull better than 3 wheels any day.

Both the Big Bear and grizzly have diff lock stock and IRS.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

I hear you man. I guess I am saying it is a system that is proven, reliable and performs well. When turning in 4wd you can make sharp turns and not worry about the front end wanting to push forward.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help. We when today and I went with the Big Bear 400 and the wife got the Grizzly 350 4X4 IRS. She was not rode much so I signed her up for a safety course and me too. So I can be there for support. And may learn a few things too.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider

Sweet! I would love for my wife to get involved with riding. A safety course is a good idea.