General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what to get?

I've been looking to get a new 4 wheeler but I don't know which to get what do you guys recommend? Looking for something to mostly trail ride and hunt with but I want something you wouldn't be afraid to go in some mud with. Looking for a 500 or so what you guys think

Old 08-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you are anticipating decent depth mud get a 4wd. Almost every maker has a 500 class machine. Polaris has the highest rated rack capacities, best towing numbers, best on-board storage, and the most comfortable ride. Polaris has a single cylinder 570 that has more bottom end. Can-Am is typically the fastest in their cc class. Good ride, more zip than the other 500's. Can-Am uses a twin cylinder 570 now. The previous 500 cc was no slouch either. Son had one and it was quick for the size engine it had. Yamaha, and Suzuki are great all around quads with good reliability. I believe both offer a 550 now. Not 100% on Suzuki. Kawasaki doesn't offer a 500 class. Honda is very reliable but underpowered. Their car-like automatic transmission can make up some of that but not all.

If money is not a problem, the Polaris Sportsman X2 is the machine I'd get. I had the previous 500 cc. Only reason I got ride of it was that I was riding with guys with 700+ cc machines and could not keep up in the snow rides we do in wintertime. The X2 has a dumpbox on the back that can carry 400 lbs. It's like a mini-pickup bed. The dumpbox can convert to a passenger seat in 10 seconds if you want to ride with a significant other. 2017 Sportsman X2 570 ATV | Polaris
It is, in my mind, the most versatile 4 wheeler out there that is ATV width.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
If you are anticipating decent depth mud get a 4wd. Almost every maker has a 500 class machine. Polaris has the highest rated rack capacities, best towing numbers, best on-board storage, and the most comfortable ride. Polaris has a single cylinder 570 that has more bottom end. Can-Am is typically the fastest in their cc class. Good ride, more zip than the other 500's. Can-Am uses a twin cylinder 570 now. The previous 500 cc was no slouch either. Son had one and it was quick for the size engine it had. Yamaha, and Suzuki are great all around quads with good reliability. I believe both offer a 550 now. Not 100% on Suzuki. Kawasaki doesn't offer a 500 class. Honda is very reliable but underpowered. Their car-like automatic transmission can make up some of that but not all.

If money is not a problem, the Polaris Sportsman X2 is the machine I'd get. I had the previous 500 cc. Only reason I got ride of it was that I was riding with guys with 700+ cc machines and could not keep up in the snow rides we do in wintertime. The X2 has a dumpbox on the back that can carry 400 lbs. It's like a mini-pickup bed. The dumpbox can convert to a passenger seat in 10 seconds if you want to ride with a significant other. 2017 Sportsman X2 570 ATV | Polaris
It is, in my mind, the most versatile 4 wheeler out there that is ATV width.
Was thinking about the can am 570 but heard it's pretty loud.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Nowadays most all the popular brands make a decent machine so it comes down to a matter of which one do you like and which one are you most comfortable with. How they sit and ride can make a big difference on whether you like your purchase or not. Uless your looking for real speed 500 is plenty big, I owned a 300 for 16 yrs and never had a problem going anywhere I wanted to go and hauled most anything I wanted to. Top speed was 40+ mph plenty fast for me. I would highly recommend 4 wheel drive, for your own use and better resale value as well. Honda's are nice machines but pricey and not a fan of their electric shift transmission. Polaris is extremely popular and economy priced but they have their issues if you read the repair/complaint areas. Suzuki machines are really good but have a reputation for expensive replacement parts. Kawasaki machines are also really good, I had one for 16 years without a single problem. The CanAm machines have a great reputation but can be a bit on the pricey side. Yamaha machines also have a good reputation, have owned one of those also without problems for 10 years. I recently moved into a side x side from my atv's and lovin every minute of it!! I chose a Kymco machine as I found them to be extremely well built, good reputation, good pricing and thy also have an atv line that has a good following. They are not as popular as the other brands yet, but they are growing by leaps and bounds. Which ever model you chose do your homework, research, and "test ride" any model you might be interested in. Some dealers don't want you to test ride...if that is the case walk away...many dealers do allow test rides. When I bought my Kymco UTV the dealer allowed me into the service area to go over them with a fine tooth comb, crawled under around and thru, even removed body panels to see what is inside them. Their test track was a real track...with hills, mud bogs, and a high speed area. They were not afraid to show off their machines...that is one of the reasons I bought one from them. Good luck in your shopping and do keep us posted on your decision.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had Sportsman 500s for a long time and have had no problems with some and a little trouble with others. Mine will do 55 MPH and has never felt under-powered. Any of the 500 class machines are fast enough for trail riding and powerful enough to haul any reasonable load.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Id go with can am or arctic cat.. I own 2 arctic cat 500's with 0 issues other than wear and tear items. I ride my cat hard and does not get babied but does get good maintenance. Personally i would stay away from the Polaris 500 class machines. Their ground clearance numbers are false. Iv seen to many machines with clutch cover failures letting water in. I have not seen one yet where the storage compartments are broken so im assuming their rated weight and capacity is false. I ride with a few on the trails and really do not like the way they perform. My cat will out perform them any day

Old 08-19-2016, 09:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The new Kymco 450i, which has the same engine as the 450i utv, is right on par with power with the 500 class machines and is pretty reasonable in price too 2016 Kymco MXU 450i Camo. If you have a Kymco dealer near you, I'd check it out. The Arctic Cat 500 has the same engine as the Kymco 450i, they're both 443cc in displacement actual. So basically they're the same quad just with different plastic.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Like Zrock, I'm very impressed with my Arctic Cats. Got em cheap from previous owners that abused em. Cleaned em up, got em tuned, they are real work horses. My 2002 400 manual shift has excellent clearance with stock 25" tires, really eats up the worst trails ant will hit 57 mph with a 250 lb lard ***, me. 4,000 miles, my 2001 500 manual shift is a real rugged machine, use it in the woods to tow out logs, still tops out at 60 mph with 30" Mudzillas, 7,000 miles. I like em enough, not interested in buying a new model, these are perfect for what I need.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the advice guys from all the stuff I've read and the videos I think ill get a can-am. My dad is also looking for one but I think he's leaning towards the Polaris or AC. Should be could so I can see what another machine can do in person.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by buffadonk
Thanks for all the advice guys from all the stuff I've read and the videos I think ill get a can-am. My dad is also looking for one but I think he's leaning towards the Polaris or AC. Should be could so I can see what another machine can do in person.
If you ever plan on riding 2-up, get the Outlander Max. The XT package includes a lot of goodies that you won't need to get later. With the Max you get a large machine that is very stable. Because of the longer wheelbase, going up and down hills is a lot easier. Not as likely to tip end over end on hills. If you want to bring a passenger the extra cargo box comes off and the passenger seat goes in pretty quickly.