General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Can Am DS90 delema

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 03:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Am DS90 delema

Hi guys. I bought a bone stock 08 Can Am DS90 for my son. The bike is super clean and runs great. The only problem? It has no tail light/brake light. I guess Can Am thought it wasn't important enough to put one on.

Here's the issue. I was going to just buy a banjo bolt pressure switch, then tap that into the master cylinder and run a brake light off of that...until I realized the entire brake system is all cable driven and has no master cylinder. So, I said, ok..I'll run a spring system off of the rear drum linkage...but that would requre some odd brackets to be fab'd up along with the fact that it would not work if my kid only used the front brake lever. So then, I thought, what if I run a complex spring setup in the rear and try to fab up some kind of either spring setup or weatherproof micro switch setup for the front, then wire it in series parallel. Yeah right. Why dont I also install a pizza oven on the darn thing as well, in case we get hungry on the trails.

So, what Im wondering, is if anyone here has successfully installed a brake light setup on a DS 90 that never came with one from the factory? I cant find any info at all on the web and I could really use some guidance. Also, while we're talking about lighting, any reccomended solutions for making the headlights act as actual headlights? The stock headlight bulbs are a joke. I think they're literally just supposed to be like a day time running light. A saftey feature. I want to know if there are any good bulbs out there that will make them function as actual headlights.

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

I swapped out the stock headlights on my AC 500 with some eBay "Razers" .They are super bright. Making a bracket for a switch for the cable brakes sounds a might challenging. I'm guessing that you have a tail light already? If not Arctic Cat and Kymco have one that could be fitted. Here's a picture of my AC 500 with the Razer conversion, gotta be 10X brighter than the originals.

Attached Thumbnails Can Am DS90 delema-p1010547.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you sure someone did not just take the rear tail light off? Iv actually never paid attention to the tail light on a dx. But every other machine has one. As far as the headlights go you may have to upgrade the battery/charge system. These are kids machines and really dont have enough of a charging system in them. Thats why the headlights get brighter under RPM. You could try a LED bulb that takes little to no power to operate

Old 09-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
Are you sure someone did not just take the rear tail light off? Iv actually never paid attention to the tail light on a dx. But every other machine has one. As far as the headlights go you may have to upgrade the battery/charge system. These are kids machines and really dont have enough of a charging system in them. Thats why the headlights get brighter under RPM. You could try a LED bulb that takes little to no power to operate
Im pretty certain there was no tail light from the factory. There is a red reflector in place where the tail light would be. The reflector matches the two side red reflectors on the machine, so I am assuming it was like that from the factory. Also, there is no bracket for any light and no wiring harness or plugs going back there. The only fasting point in the rear is a little tab for the reflector to hang on. Not nearly sufficient enough for a light mount.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

I tried to correct my post, but the headlight are "Lazer Stars" freaking brain fart, Razer....

Old 09-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by TheLastPolarBear
Im pretty certain there was no tail light from the factory. There is a red reflector in place where the tail light would be. The reflector matches the two side red reflectors on the machine, so I am assuming it was like that from the factory. Also, there is no bracket for any light and no wiring harness or plugs going back there. The only fasting point in the rear is a little tab for the reflector to hang on. Not nearly sufficient enough for a light mount.
Well ill be they don't have a light..LOL.. I would hit up ebay and search for atv brake light kit. They have complete kits with all the triggers and mounting brackets you will need for cheap.. Cheaper than you will be able to build something.. Seen one kit for $35 canadian

Old 09-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Looking at the parts diagram, it shows no rear tail light. No wiring for it either.

Odd, I was under the impression they were a mandatory item. Should be anyway.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol

ya pretty good when the imports have em and can am cheeps out on a $20 safety item

Old 09-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
ya pretty good when the imports have em and can am cheeps out on a $20 safety item
Thats what I was saying. I just bought a DS90X for my other son and this one doesn't have a brake light either. This quads MSRP price is like 3500 dollars. I love these quads and they seem to be built super well, but why no brake light? Its such an important saftey feature.