General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rhino Rollover

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Rollover

Why doesn't he tell us the circumstances in which these injuries happened?
Myself, both of my brothers and one of my friends all have Rhino's. With just a little common sense, these injuries can be prevented. I myself have
rolled my Rhino about 3 or 4 times in the 2 1/2 years that I've had it. Each time was at slow speeds, which should be the case if you are on any terrain that is questionable. With each new passenger, I go over the basic instructions such as keeping your hands and feet in the vehicle and always wearing a seatbelt. Now granted...we do get a little crazy and push the limits, but guess what, If I get hurt it's no ones fault but my own. There are cars made that will travel in excess of 150 mph and they have airbags. That doesn't mean you can punch the throttle to the limit and smack a brick wall and not expect to get hurt and then sue if you do. You still have to practice common sense and know your limits as well as your machines limits. There are warning stickers all over a new Rhino about tip over and injuries.
High speed, carelesness and not being familiar enough with your machine is what causes these accidents. My own brother had to be air lifted from a national forrest because of an atv accident a few years ago...but it was in no way the fault of the manufacturer of the atv...it was simple carelessness and inexperience that got him in the situation.
It's people like this attorney and his careless clients that ruin it for the rest of us. I really enjoy my Rhino and have a deposit on a RZR, the anticipation is killing me, anyone heard any new arrival dates?

Old 04-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rhino Rollover

you just gave me a great idea! when I hurt myself I can also sue the mfg of my pressure washer because it plasted off all the warning stickers that Yamaha put on it. thanks man! I knew it wouldn't be MY fault [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Rollover

Well guess what! As I predicted in my last posting several months ago you can no longer purchase a Rhino without doors. All owners will be receiving a letter soon recalling "ALL" Rhinos to have factory doors installed at no cost. They have finally realized that they could no longer ignore all of the injuries that were occuring simply by saying it was operator error. It's good to see that Yamaha has finally taken responsibility for the design defect and are at least trying to prevent future injuries but, this is little comfort to those who have suffered horrible injuries and amputations. Call any of your local Yamaha dealers and they will confirm this.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Rollover

check out this link http://Yamaha-motor.com/rhino. You'll need a glass of water!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhino Rollover

I think its a good thing!

Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Rollover

I HAVE A 05 RHINO SE. THE FIRST TIME I TOOK IT OUT I ROLLED IT OVER DOING A DONUT. IT SNAPPED SO HARD THAT I NEVER GOT TO REACT TO THE ROLL. MY FATHER (NOT A YOUNG MAN) WAS IN THE PASENGER SEAT AND HIT HIS HEAD SO HARD THAT IT POPPED THE VENT OFF OF HIS HELMET (YES WE WEAR HELMETS). WE BOTH HAD ON OUR SEAT BELTS AND I WAS IMPREESD WITH HOW WELL THE RHINO PROTECTED US. I LEARED A VERY GOOD LESSON THAT DAY. MY POINT IS THAT HIS LEGS AND FEET WERE IN THE RHINO AT ALL TIMES. AT A SPEED IN EXCESS OF 35 MPH HIS LEGS WERE HOT PULLED FROM THE RHINO. I FEEL VERY BAD FOR ANY ONE WHO HAS BEEN INJURED IN A RHINO, BUT THE FACT IS YAMAHA IS IN THE BUSNESS OF MAKING FUN TOYS. PERHAPS IF THEY MADE VIDEO GAMES WE COULD ALL DRIVE VIRTUAL RHINOS AND NEVER GET HURT. I HAVE BEEN RIDING SINCE I WAS 8 AND HAVE HAVE A FEW SPILLS BUT NEVER CONSIDERED THAT THE MAUFACTURE WAS TO BLAME. NOT EVEN ON A 3 WHEELER. !!!!THOSE WERE THE BEST THING ON 2 WHEELS !!!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rhino Rollover

I got my letter today, you get these free 1/4 doors (like i already bought) and a free grab handle for the passenger ( I already bought that too). way to step up Yamaha (yeah right). how abpout re-embursing us who already bought the things?

Old 09-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Rollover

I understand where you are coming from with the tuck and roll idea. There are times where instinct does take over though. Last fall I was driving one in northern California. I took a corner on a well maintained dirt road when it went over. This was not a "Whoops" rollover either, it just went. The left front tire came off the seal and all of the suspension and arms on that side were trashed. This thing snapped over. Was I speeding? No. It was a tight corner and the sun had gone down.

Luckily, I had a five point harness on and after-market doors were installed. Unfortunately, I did what came naturally and stuck my left arm out to brace myself. I got my arm crushed by the roll bar.

I used to be left handed. Seven surgeries later (and counting) I have some of it back. With some effort I can finally run the clutch on my bike again.

Am I suing? No, I agree with the adage that **** happens. Everything carries risk, we all know that. But it would be nice if Yamaha would put the kind of safety equipment Rhinos should have had in the first place. Doors, straps and good tires to name a few.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Rollover

I am in the process of developing and marketing Rhino Safety Nets. I have a couple of Rhino distributors in AZ. that are going to send me a cardboard template. If you would like to be one of the first ones to have a Nascar quality net on your Rhino, we are the one's that make them. Please call me direct @ 310-415-6769. You can also visit our website @ www.westcoastnetting.com. I am looking forward to making your Rhino experience more fun by adding peace of mind through safety.

Mike
WCN

After reading these posts, I have decided to contact Yamaha.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Rollover

I am a 26 year old female who just wandered upon this forum. I'd like to share my story with everyone that visits this site.

I was a passenger on a Yahama Rhino in October 2006, we were driving MAYBE 8 miles an hour and made a left hand turn, when the ATV rolled over onto my side and crushed/shattered my foot, I did not stick my foot out to catch myself, I was pushing my body to the center and the force of the roll put my foot out in the open and under the rollbar. This could have been prevented by the manufacturer with a small thing called doors, and it annoys me to hear people say, you pretty much did this to yourself, like it's something that I could have prevented, I am now getting ready to have my 4th surgery to fix the bones that were shattered from the accident, I will walk with a cane and limp the rest of my life and will be in physical therapy for years to come, I AM 26 years old and this machine has changed my life forever and to read this....

Originally posted by: RacinJason
I vote that people start taking responsibility for themselves and actions

...you know, this is not something that I or the driver could have prevented, we were not driving crazy, we were belted in, had helmets on, had every piece of safety equipment on that the machine instructions state should be used.

These blogs on this forum upset me and it made me mad to read peoples responses to something most of you have not experienced, and lord help you if they do, because it is complete misery!

Quick Reply: Rhino Rollover