Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450 stalls at shift - won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2000, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

Once again, looking for your best advice.

I was running my 450ES across a field and went to shift from 3rd to 4th, but accidentally hit the down button to 2nd causing a pretty severe engine brake effect. I immediately tried to shift back up but the engine died.

I ran the shifter down to N right away to avoid a restart problem. But it wouldn't start at all. I let it sit and tried again. I wrenched the trans to make sure it was in N, I tried using the pull starter, I rocked it, rolled it, and eventually towed it -- but it wouldn't start.

So given my limited mechanical ability, I'd like your toughts on the best place to start [no pun intended] aside from a trip to the dealer. Is it possible that the high rev down-shift broke something? Your thoughts appreciated.

Old 05-06-2000, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

Check your fuses.

Old 05-06-2000, 01:31 PM
Range Rover

Check your fuses. Also is everything else working?

Old 05-06-2000, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

Well, I think everything else is working. the instrument pod seems OK but I didn't check the headlights.

I must admit, my battery is still low from the whole recall/drain thing. I've been debating between a trickle charger and a new battery (despite solid advice in here to just get the new battery) so I think that's a good first step as well. I find my Recon stays charged just fine despite the same three week lay-offs that have plagued my 450, so it certainly won't hurt to get a battery -- I hear that Honda might even spring for it if the dealer cooperates (and they have been real good guys).

So when I go for the battery I'll pick up a few fuses too so I have them when I get there. Thanks for the advice. If it works, I owe you a beer.

Old 05-06-2000, 10:41 PM
Range Rover

No problem DrRod hope thats all the problem is but if not there are a few other things it might be. Most certain probably the main fuse.

Old 05-07-2000, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

It will be about a week until I get back up there to check it out, but last night I was reading through the manual (gee, what a concept) looking for other ideas. I noticed that, contrary to my initial belief, the kill switch does not return automatically to the "on" position after use. It then occured to me that when I was thrown forward and was scrambling to get back in the right gear, I may have hit the kill switch. Never occured to me before but its a distinct possibility.

If that's all it is, it could be a classic "dumb things" moment in ATVing. But also a good lesson to share -- check the obvious first. As they say in med school (and I'm not that kind of doctor): if you hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras. I'll let you know when I get back to it.

Old 05-07-2000, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

LOL! I wouldn't doubt it DrRod it has happened to the best of us. As a matter of fact I had the same problem before when I tryed playing submarine! I must have hit the kill switch by accident. Pulled my bike out of the water drained the airbox and exhaust and expected it would start pretty quickly but after 5min noticed the kill switch was off. Turned it on and started it right up. Always good for a laugh. Hope they would move that switch though.

Proud Owner: 98 Honda Foreman 450ES
99 Honda Fourtrax 400EX

Old 05-08-2000, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

Been there done that. I was riding my CBR600 just east of Sacremento on I-80, dark, doing about 80. Shook a cramp off my hand and when I put the hand back on the grip I unknowingly hit the kill switch. Thinking I blew the main fuse I pushed the damn thing back about 4 miles to a gas station I remember seeing. Checked all the fuses (all were good) THEN just happened to notice the kill switch was off. I couldn't help but laugh...

Old 05-11-2000, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

And the verdict is in.

Yes, it was the kill switch. I was up there today to check it out and there it was -- not even fully engaged, just slightly off center. A quick flip and off we went. A cheap lesson to be sure.

Thanks for all your kind words (but I'm not quite ready to laugh about it just yet).

Thanks,

Rod